Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Color choice Glacier White vs. Daytona Grey

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 01:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Color choice Glacier White vs. Daytona Grey

What do you prefer? I’m having a hard time deciding I’m considering getting a SQ5 in white which concerns me because I’ve never owned a white car before. My reasoning is I live in the northwest and weather is horrible nothing but rain and cold practically year round. I also work at industrial site so keeping a car prestigiously clean is going to be difficult task. I’ve seen both car colors in person but I’m curious to know what others opinions might be?
Old 04-14-2015, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by pfgray2008
What do you prefer? I’m having a hard time deciding I’m considering getting a SQ5 in white which concerns me because I’ve never owned a white car before. My reasoning is I live in the northwest and weather is horrible nothing but rain and cold practically year round. I also work at industrial site so keeping a car prestigiously clean is going to be difficult task. I’ve seen both car colors in person but I’m curious to know what others opinions might be?
My vote is for the Daytona Grey. I just feel like it's a color that seems to get a lot of attention. It's not as expected as black and definitely has more depth to it than a lot of the colors out there. You certainly don't see Daytona Grey very often. You see white cars every day.

While I've got to admit white Audis can look really slick -and to your point- I just feel like you have to consistently keep cleaning it. The littlest bit of dirt seems to show to white cars. Additionally, I feel like without keeping it in pristine condition, white cars just start looking like all the SUV fleet vehicles on the road.

Ultimately, you really can't go wrong. Let us know what you decide!
Old 04-14-2015, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sepang Blue or Ibis White!
Old 04-14-2015, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

while I like white cars when they are clean; it reminds me too much of "fleet cars" which are almost always ordered in white. Daytona Gray is a nice color with hints of blue in it (at least in my eyes). Plus it will stay cleaner looking for a lot longer than the white.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We didn't care for Glacier White as it is really quite blue. Ibis White or Grey.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

To each his own....I look out at the parking lot where I work and it truly is Fifty Shades of Gray. Black to White and everything in between. When I bought my SQ5, the color choice was down to Glacier White or Lava Grey.
I bought Glacier White because contrary to some opinions, I find white shows dirt less than other colors. I guess it depends on where you live too. >95° days are common here in San Diego, with relentless sunshine, so white cars are cooler. And Some cars just look better in certain colors....In the end, you will know what you like better...follow your instinct.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

I mirror USAVAGEU in that I find white cars keep clean looking for longer. I had a black car before and oddly any dirt stood out a mile. I also require a lighter color car for the summer sun heat. The oh so slight blue hue to the glacier white was a definite plus for me. It looks so cool at sunset! In the end only you can make the choice. Go for whatever YOU prefer the look of, white or grey!
Old 04-15-2015, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm in Seattle and have had white, blue, gray, silver, and now black, and I park outside 100% of the time. The white and silver honestly show less grime usually and the gray was nothing special when it came to hiding gunk. Go with which of those colors you are more drawn to. The biggest issue with the SQ5 is the brake dust. It's the worst on any car I've owned.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

My Porsche is white. First white car I've ever owned. And probably the last.
I find it almost like a black car in that it looks great when clean, but not so much when its dirty. My SQ5 is Daytona Grey. Much prefer the Daytona Grey.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm certainly partial to the Daytona Grey, but it really is a personal preference. I think the Daytona Grey is a beautiful color, particularly in sunlight. In New England, the darker colors are generally preferred - not sure about the Northwest (only matters if resale value matters to you). I've found that of all the cars and colors I've owned, silver is the best at hiding everyday dirt in between washes. That said, I found the Q5 in silver to look a little blah compared to other options.

Quick Reply: Color choice Glacier White vs. Daytona Grey