Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Color choice Glacier White vs. Daytona Grey

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I loved my white Q5 but it got very little attention.

I really love my Daytona Grey Q5 and it turns heads every single day.

The white was way easier to keep "clean looking".
Old 04-15-2015, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

I've personally owned black, white, and Daytona gray...it that order. Blacks looks amazing when clean (WHEN clean). After having a black vehicle, I said I would never do it again. Then I moved to white. While it's sooo much easier to deal with than black and hides dust, water spots from morning frost/dew, finger prints, etc, etc. White will however build a layer of dirt if you don't keep it clean. When driving the rain alot, it will pickup road tar/debris quickly. When you wash it, it becomes quite obvious how UN-white it had become. And even after a wash, the little black dots from tar, red spots from iron, and every other piece of fall-out is still there. It almost gets to be that white is just as hard to deal with as black. Hence my last decision to go with Daytona. I will say it really looks awesome and cuts down on the negatives of both the black and the white. I'd do the Daytona all over again. The one and only color I'd think would be better is the SILVER. The silver would be about the easiest to deal with, AND the silver looks real aggressive with the HGB package. Depending on color options the next time around, silver may be something I'll look real hard at. Just isn't quite as attention-getting as the Daytona.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am proud new owner of an SQ5 in Daytona Grey. Initially I was planning to go with White, but circumstances (dealer making me a very good deal on an in-stock vehicle) is how I ended up with the Daytona. I always really liked Daytona but never that it would be great for my situation. I am on the fence as to if it was the right choice. I live on a stretch of gravel road before I get to pavement - and it can range from really dusty (which it has mostly been in the time I've had the SQ5) to really muddy. I would say have been able to enjoy the real beauty of the Daytona maybe 5 - 10% of my time of ownership. I wash it and almost immediately it is dirty to some extent. It doesn't look horrible, but definitely not the eye-catching color you see when it is all detailed out. It shows dust, water spots, etc way worse than the white and silver cars I have had in the past. It's nothing like a black vehicle, but it is extremely difficult to keep clean. But when clean I do like the color much better than an SQ5 in Glacier White. I haven't seen any in person in Silver so I can't comment on that.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hockeymonkey
Daytona Gray is a nice color with hints of blue in it (at least in my eyes).
I think that's the sky. I can't get a good picture of mine as it picks up the colors around it so easily. Mine always looks green; when I try to get a picture of it because of a big tree in my yard...lol...

I just have to tell my friends that have seen it "just trust me...it's a beautiful color..."
Old 04-15-2015, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'll add another vote for Daytona. Two weeks ago I took delivery of my Daytona 3.0T and I'm really pleased with it. There are a lot of shades of gray on the roads but the pearl catches light making the Q5 stand out. It's all a matter of preference, and you won't go wrong either way!
Old 04-16-2015, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

I vote Daytona. There was a white SQ5 in our building and everytime I drove by in my Estoril (PNW dirty and all) I cried a little on the inside for them. Too plain. Daytona is a really beautiful gray and I probably would have done that instead of Estoril if it had been an option in MY14. Although I do love the blue, rain spots and all...
Old 07-13-2017, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by cobrar97
I've personally owned black, white, and Daytona gray...it that order. Blacks looks amazing when clean (WHEN clean). After having a black vehicle, I said I would never do it again. Then I moved to white. While it's sooo much easier to deal with than black and hides dust, water spots from morning frost/dew, finger prints, etc, etc.[/B] White will however build a layer of dirt if you don't keep it clean. When driving the rain alot, it will pickup road tar/debris quickly. When you wash it, it becomes quite obvious how UN-white it had become. And even after a wash, the little black dots from tar, red spots from iron, and every other piece of fall-out is still there. It almost gets to be that white is just as hard to deal with as black. Hence my last decision to go with Daytona. I will say it really looks awesome and cuts down on the negatives of both the black and the white. I'd do the Daytona all over again. The one and only color I'd think would be better is the SILVER. The silver would be about the easiest to deal with, AND the silver looks real aggressive with the HGB package. Depending on color options the next time around, silver may be something I'll look real hard at. Just isn't quite as attention-getting as the Daytona.
How is Daytona Gray compared to white to hide dust and water spots?