Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 08-09-2016, 11:54 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Confirming more definitively: no Q5 suspension upgrade path via (U.S.) SQ5 roll bars

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 616 Likes on 513 Posts
Default Confirming more definitively: no Q5 suspension upgrade path via (U.S.) SQ5 roll bars

No positive news/info in here, but thought I would post what I did find since the idea comes up in Q5 threads occasionally.

I ran down the idea of upgrading roll (sway) bars on the Q5 using the new (gas) SQ5 as a possible donor, since the SQ5 is now on US roads and the dealers have the parts diagrams updated. In my case, using the Hybrid 2.0T as the starting point, the dealer (AudiUSAParts/Sunset Audi) reported the part numbers for both front and rear bars as coming up identically as between the Hybrid and the SQ5.

Hybrid aside, this is also another indirect confirmation the SQ5 suspension is apparently no different than the others for U.S. set ups (putting aside Drive Select on 3.0T's and TDI's). Thus, so far w/ stock parts only the wheel diameters and tire choices/aspect ratios are variable using stock fitments. Not trying to cover things like coil overs or possible aftermarket bars (Stasis, etc.) here since my interest is generally from available stock components/parts bins.

I haven't run it all the way down for non-Hybrid 2.0T's just in case, but already figured by both general weight and the larger brakes, if anything the Hybrid would be grouped with the various V6 gas and diesel flavors. Having driven the Hybrid up to full Autobahn speeds and on long sweepers, those are really not performance level bars--or set up more generally--on the vehicle. For everyday use it's fine as I expected, but not a stiffer set up like I have been able to bolt into my Audi quattro based sedans.

Maybe there is a different choice in Europe (paging spijun...) for the SQ tweaked TDI's, but it nets to not here in the USA using stock parts. I'm still looking at RS5 listings (where I can get bar thickness measurements) as another scenario, but I need my vehicle in hand from Euro delivery shipping to measure mine. The specs I can see lead me to suspect the Q5 bars may already be as thick as the RS5, which wouldn't surprise me given the Q5's heft almost regardless of motor. It's a guess that those might cross over in terms of basic bolt up, and the parts diagrams look generally the same. Pretty obvious the A5/S5 ones are either smaller or (at most) the same as RS5 too. I also don't get any sense so far tubular bars have arrived for this general group (ultimately A5 based, including Q5) in stock fitments like they did for my D3 A8--there for at least the front bar you also have to know more about the tubular wall dimensions and not just rod thickness if trying to compare specs.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 08-14-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:11 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Great piece of research, many thanks. It does, however, raise the question as to what exactly Audi USA did to the SQ5 suspension after the initial announcements trumpeting the 30mm lowering.

No bitterness here :-)

Steve
Old 08-14-2013, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default As posted in a few Q5 threads peripherally recently,

the most credible thing I have read is basically...oops, they forgot: to squeeze in as a U.S. small truck SUV it needs certain ride height minimums. Important for more liberal CAFE (mileage) standards. Irrelevant in Europe. Thus, back to baseline Q5 specs. Not the kind of stuff Audi usually owns up to though when they back out of a spec. Might also affect things like crash test certification, bumper height requirements for the certified group, etc.

Companies like Subaru have actually gone through this is the other direction--moving from the car group to small trucks by essentially just jacking them up. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...GLuO_blog.html Older: http://www.caranddriver.com/columns/...nitions-column

Same explanation probably for the disappearing smaller drop that was supposed to happen in the U.S. for Hybrids to improve the cD marginally.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 08-14-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for posting this and doing so much research.

I'm disappointed/surprised to hear the SQ5 doesn't have different sways than the 3.0. I was looking forward to being able to upgrade them and this was the logical step.

Thanks again,

Rick
Old 08-14-2013, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

OP: is it my understanding that you've researched all of SQ5's suspension components including springs and dampers, and you can confirm they are identical to base Q5?
Old 08-14-2013, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default No, I haven't checked further parts on this pass. More...

But, with enough posts in that the ride height (via the wheel/fender spacing gap) is pretty obviously not lower, it didn't seem productive to proceed. Over several Audis I have also focused on the bars because they are generally pretty easy to change, not very expensive, are a practical way to stiffen the suspension a notch and also control lean, and if done differentially (stiffer toward back) often a way to dial out some understeer that is common w/ most Audis. I did look at the Euro EKTA listings are fair amount for the Q5, the A/S and RS 5's, and the B8 A/S4 (including bars, struts and support up fronts, and spring support area in back. The Q5 related listings and diagrams on line [ http://www.partscats.com/audi/en/?i=cat_vag_models ] seem to pre date the Euro SQ5 and seemingly the hybrid too, so I couldn't find the Euro differences that should be there in some cases.

Taking it a few more steps from my experiences, at the same ride heights, springs are usually most calibrated by weight (motors, AWD, options, etc.) and there isn't really that much difference among the Hybrid, 3.0T, QS and TDI weights, though the front to back varies some perhaps [as a guess somewhat more up front on TDI and relatively more further back w/ Hybrid w/ the batteries and related cooling stuff]. They can be progressive rate, but if starting point is the same (basically non-sport) ride height I would be doubtful. On shocks/struts, they could be different in valving, but that's not what anyone is reporting on the early drive reports. Instead, Drive Select in 3.0Ts or TDI's as an option may be where the only available OE tweaks are. Meanwhile, it seems like the only thing being noted by the early U.S. SQ5 driving experiences are around the yet lower profile of the 21's.

I also saw the TDI Euro flavor SQ5 in Ingolstadt on the showroom floor and posted some pics of the wheel area here about a month ago. Interestingly, I didn't see any obvious drop there either, nor on one outside in the lot that obviously would not have had anything like shipping blocks in it. I do have the Q5 Hybrid brochure in German from last year where it clearly shows lower ride heights (and other minor dimensional tweaks) in the detailed body drawings, so somewhere that has been implemented in the suspension parts. I can't find EKTA listings though on the web that show things this recent in Europe (per link above), and it seemed to have been reduced to one size fits all for U.S. regs compliance, and where I could get the parts number cross check.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 08-14-2013 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 358 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by koobah
OP: is it my understanding that you've researched all of SQ5's suspension components including springs and dampers, and you can confirm they are identical to base Q5?
No they are not identical, they are different in the standard model, hybrid and SQ5
Of course there are the same parts used in all models

Q5 standard
Name:  ScreenShot070_zps0c0006e4.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  54.1 KB

SQ5

Name:  ScreenShot071_zps0e4e1522.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  60.1 KB

Here is an example where the same part of the suspension used: A4, A5, Q5, RS4, RS5 (coupe,cabriolet, avant)

Name:  ScreenShot073_zps72bddf72.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  89.9 KB

A4, A5, Q5, A6, A7, RS4, RS5, RS6 (coupe,cabriolet, avant)

Name:  ScreenShot075_zps0ab7d39c.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  89.2 KB

Last edited by spijun; 08-15-2013 at 01:58 AM.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw an SQ5 at the dealer yesterday when i was getting my crankshaft pulley changed. It is exactly the same as the regular one, it was parked right beside a 2.0TFSI and I could see no difference at all (except that the SQ5 looks way nicer inside with those black/red seats, and little extras)
Old 08-15-2013, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hi spijun. Read back through earlier parts of this thread...

You could help here on the Euro side. Main points of the thread are in the U.S. there seem to be no visual differences between the SQ5 and other Q5's, ride heights didn't change, roll bars didn't change, and no subjective test drive posts seem to suggest the U.S. SQ suspension is firmer either. The Hybrid is also lowered in Germany per prior articles and Audi's own German brochure, as is supposedly the SQ5, but here in the U.S. they aren't coming out that way in the U.S. and Audi USA has backed off its earlier information of that sort.

Thus any specific pointers you can give us on OE parts that involve either stiffening or lowering (roll bars, springs, dampers, perches/supports, etc.) on Euro Q5's and SQ's would be helpful. Somewhere among those should be the differences on the Euro side to get it stiffened some and/or lowered.

Being specific on roll bars that are the easiest to change for some stiffening: Can you provide numbers in front (group 4--front axle) for part 34 (the bar) and 35 (related bushing) for current model SQ5 vs. 3.0T and Hybrid? If you have time, I'm sure other owners would be interested in any differences for the 3.0 TDI, 2.0T, and the older 3.2. In back (group 5) it is part 14, and the rubber bushing seems to be included w/ the given bar. A great answer will be the QS has a different Euro number, and the others likely are grouped the same for part numbers (perhaps excepting the lighter 2.0T).

The ride height ones could be buried differences in springs, perches, spring supports (the rubber pieces), struts, strut stops and perhaps other things. For now, just tying off any bar roll differences in Europe as a starter would be a big help.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 08-15-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 358 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
You could help here on the Euro side. Main points of the thread are in the U.S......

I've read it.
For your information, there are two models of suspension which is built into the SQ5.
One is standard(more rigid suspension S) and the other is lower for 25mm
Codes at the end have their meaning
1BD, 2MT.......
Example: 0K1 for hybrid
Name:  ScreenShot076_zps83e1ff00.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  67.7 KB

Last edited by spijun; 08-15-2013 at 09:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Confirming more definitively: no Q5 suspension upgrade path via (U.S.) SQ5 roll bars