Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Considering 2011 Q5, have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been tracking my mileage for a while now. I have tracked 13 fill ups over about 4,000 miles. My high mileage was 23.3 mpg while on a road trip with 95% highway driving. My latest mileage (the last tank) was 18.0 mpg with a mix of city and (chicago) highway. My overall average is 19.0. So, so far, the published audi numbers for the 3.2 are pretty accurate for me. I only have 4,900 miles on it so far though, so it may improve as time goes on. The trip computer frequently reads around 27-28mpg while cruising on the highway at 70-75, while it reads around 15mpg while driving around the city. Just my experience so far.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jrjunior31
Not sure how many miles you have but this is wayyy better than my 3.2. Mine has 3500 miles so I guess I can expect some improvement down the road but for now I get only 18 mpgs combined with about a 65/35 city to freeway mix. But some of the driving is hilly and I border on a heavy foot.
My experience echoes this. I drive maybe 75/25 city/highway, I have a lead foot, and I generally average 17-19 mpg or so. Long highway trips at 80mph are closer to 24-27 for me.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jrjunior31
To me it sounds like the 2.0 does much better than the 3.2 in real world mileage than the 2 mpg difference that Audi posts on the window sticker.
You will find that on most internet forums, there is always a smaller engine vs larger engine debate. Of course the larger engine poster will talk about how well their car perform on the highway and how much quieter and smoother the larger engine is. On the opposite end, the smaller engine people talk about gas mileage and how much money they save. The truth about performance and gas mileage is somewhere in the middle. The 3.2L doesn not perform that much better than the 2.0T and the 2.0T does not get that much better milage than the 3.2L. How and where you drive your car matters more than what type of engine you have.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by The G Man
You will find that on most internet forums, there is always a smaller engine vs larger engine debate. Of course the larger engine poster will talk about how well their car perform on the highway and how much quieter and smoother the larger engine is. On the opposite end, the smaller engine people talk about gas mileage and how much money they save. The truth about performance and gas mileage is somewhere in the middle. The 3.2L doesn not perform that much better than the 2.0T and the 2.0T does not get that much better milage than the 3.2L. How and where you drive your car matters more than what type of engine you have.
Agreed on all fronts here, the lines are blurred between the 3.2 and 2.0T in terms of performance (as the 2.0T has more torque whilst 3.2 has more HP). The 2.0T is also thirsty for a small engine and on the highway they both render more or less close MPG.

Your requirement will dictate which engine you should go for (2.0T is good for mixed city / highway) The 3.2 for mostly Highway driving.

The Hybrid will trump both IF it is priced right, whilst the 3.0Tdi (Here in Europe) is the best of the bunch so far.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by the-oneil
The 2.0T is also thirsty for a small engine and on the highway they both render more or less close MPG.
Audi rating for 3.2 highway is 23 mpg, 2.0T highway is 27mpg.

I don't consider the 2.0T thirsty at all, especially for the performance it delivers. I'm on my second one and my 06 2.0T A4 (6 spd) regularly delivers over 30mpg on the highway (real mileage, not the TC). That's one reason why I'm a repeat 2.0T customer.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by the-oneil
Agreed on all fronts here, the lines are blurred between the 3.2 and 2.0T in terms of performance (as the 2.0T has more torque whilst 3.2 has more HP). The 2.0T is also thirsty for a small engine and on the highway they both render more or less close MPG.

Your requirement will dictate which engine you should go for (2.0T is good for mixed city / highway) The 3.2 for mostly Highway driving.

The Hybrid will trump both IF it is priced right, whilst the 3.0Tdi (Here in Europe) is the best of the bunch so far.
Actually either city or highway the 2.0T will be significantly more economical than the 3.2. They do not render the same MPG. There is at least a 10% difference between the two.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:14 AM
tgt
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I drove the 2.0T the other day and was impressed with it in the Q5 (especially with the 8spd tranny). Having had the 2.0T in the last 4 A4's, I may be a bit biased.

I'm in the market as well, and with the limited lot availability of the 2.0T's I keep coming back to the same few questions in my head (knowing that I may have to negotiate and order the Q5):

-Will the 2.0T offer the S-Line pkg next year for 2012?
-2012 may be the mid-cycle refresh for the Q5...really curious about holding off for that next year to see if it is the case, and what changes will be made.
-Will the supercharged 3.0 replace the 3.2L for 2012?
-What kind of pricing/MPG difference will the Hybrid bring?
-And last but not least....where the hell is my DIESEL? (rumors have it that may be 2013 from what I've read) It's likely more than I want to spend anyway...but it would be nice to know.

-tgt

Last edited by tgt; 11-12-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tgt
I drove the 2.0T the other day and was impressed with it in the Q5 (especially with the 8spd tranny). Having had the 2.0T in the last 4 A4's, I may be a bit biased.

I'm in the market as well, and with the limited lot availability of the 2.0T's I keep coming back to the same few questions in my head (knowing that I may have to negotiate and order the Q5):

-Will the 2.0T offer the S-Line pkg next year for 2012?
-2012 may be the mid-cycle refresh for the Q5...really curious about holding off for that next year to see if it is the case, and what changes will be made.
-Will the supercharged 3.0 replace the 3.2L for 2012?
-What kind of pricing/MPG difference will the Hybrid bring?
-And last but not least....where the hell is my DIESEL? (rumors have it that may be 2013 from what I've read) It's likely more than I want to spend anyway...but it would be nice to know.

-tgt
In the current lineup, I feel like the S-line exclusivity to the 3.2 engine is kind of the way for Audi to push that model to potential buyers. Unless they release the 3.0T in 2012, I think the S-line will remain a 3.2 exclusive.
It is however very likely that the 3.2 engine is coming to an end as the various versions of the 3.0T are gradually replacing the 3.2 in the Audi lineup. It comes down to how soon Audi will bring the engine to the US. As it stands it will be sooner than later as the 2.0T are cannibalizing the 3.2 market.
If you don't need the car now, I would hold off another year...
I too wished they brought more diesel in across the board. The hybrid concept is nice but only marginally competitive compared to a Diesel at this point.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've been really leaning towards a 3.2. But, I've started checking out the BMW X3 2.8. With all the packages it is a couple thousand more, but it is a lot more car. Leases better and will hold its value better. (Couple thousand more only if you go for every package including dynamic suspension and sport package, which the Audi doesn't offer). If you're in the market, I suggest you check them out. When the BMW hits the road in January, Q5 3.2's are going to be sitting on dealer lots for a long time.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Oh, the S line package is really limited. You get the wheel, which is cool and 20" wheels with summer tires that are useless unless you live in L.A. BMW sport package has the styling trim and the wheel as well, but also at least gives you sport seats. For the same $1500 you need to pay for the Audi S line. The electronic suspension is also a great plus. The wife can drive on comfort and I can switch it to sport plus.

Quick Reply: Considering 2011 Q5, have some questions