Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Consumer Reports - Audi ranked Most reliable European make

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Consumer Reports - Audi ranked Most reliable European make

Not sure which category this suits best, but I follow the Q5 the most.. So I thought I'd post it here..

Leading the Europeans, Audi had its best showing ever, moving up 18 spots to eighth place, making it easily the most reliable European make and the top non-Japanese brand.
http://pressroom.consumerreports.org...-top-list.html

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/10/29/f...orts-reliabil/
Old 10-30-2012, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't put much faith in the Consumer Reports reliability survey. Their methodology is highly suspect, as evidenced by massive, difficult to explain fluctuations from year to year. How could Ford go from having 90% of its models in the 'above average' range to being next to last in just two years? It's not like there have been any huge changes in Ford's product mix or manufacturing methods over the past two years. Ditto with Audi. The 18 spot improvement within such a short timeframe cannot be attributed to improvements in manufacturing processes or quality control. In short, this is a completely pointless survey.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well CR was right in terms of post ownership cost for the Q5...

Did my 25k service today, end up replacing the pad for the front and tire rotation / balance.

Total? $840.

But no more downshift jerking though!
Old 10-30-2012, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveDu
Well CR was right in terms of post ownership cost for the Q5...

Did my 25k service today, end up replacing the pad for the front and tire rotation / balance.

Total? $840.

But no more downshift jerking though!
Can you post itemized charges?

I changed my front brakes myself, parts alone were ~$280, but the labor was free-did it at ~19K miles.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by MonzaA5
I wouldn't put much faith in the Consumer Reports reliability survey. Their methodology is highly suspect, as evidenced by massive, difficult to explain fluctuations from year to year. How could Ford go from having 90% of its models in the 'above average' range to being next to last in just two years? It's not like there have been any huge changes in Ford's product mix or manufacturing methods over the past two years. Ditto with Audi. The 18 spot improvement within such a short timeframe cannot be attributed to improvements in manufacturing processes or quality control. In short, this is a completely pointless survey.
Ford's plummet seems to be MyFordTouch-related from what I hear. Same as the plummet for the B5.5 Passats back in their day (bad batch of coilpacks from a supplier, a few people had some trouble, everyone complained and rated the Passat horribly even though it was all covered under a warranty recall and it didn't seem like many people were truly adversely affected).

CR relies on select owners returning forms so it's hardly an objective source and very easy to tamper with the "reliability" results. Swings will be due more to whether owners are "happy" or not, rather than true reliability. I figure Audi coming up is a good sign, though, since I would think generally such owners are probably going to be more critical of any imperfections rather than a standard Japanese brand owner. Never seen the survey myself, so I'm not sure the exact format it takes, but I certainly don't trust a random owner to objectively report on their vehicle's reliability.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by m1964
Can you post itemized charges?

I changed my front brakes myself, parts alone were ~$280, but the labor was free-did it at ~19K miles.
I got a quote last week. Front brakes and rotors - $810 out the door. I think that they said that the labor was $350, which is 2 hours at my dealership.

If you paid $280 for the parts, my dealership must mark them up another 100% over msrp. I'm glad that I decided to wait!
Old 11-01-2012, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by idale
Ford's plummet seems to be MyFordTouch-related from what I hear. Same as the plummet for the B5.5 Passats back in their day (bad batch of coilpacks from a supplier, a few people had some trouble, everyone complained and rated the Passat horribly even though it was all covered under a warranty recall and it didn't seem like many people were truly adversely affected).

CR relies on select owners returning forms so it's hardly an objective source and very easy to tamper with the "reliability" results. Swings will be due more to whether owners are "happy" or not, rather than true reliability. I figure Audi coming up is a good sign, though, since I would think generally such owners are probably going to be more critical of any imperfections rather than a standard Japanese brand owner. Never seen the survey myself, so I'm not sure the exact format it takes, but I certainly don't trust a random owner to objectively report on their vehicle's reliability.
You are right about the surveys only being as good as folks are willing to respond. However, their questions are not so much "how do you feel" but "what happened". They look for facts and use that to compile reliability data. It is about as scientific as you can get without having detailed repair and maintenance records on every car sold.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mwaarna
Not sure which category this suits best, but I follow the Q5 the most.. So I thought I'd post it here..

http://pressroom.consumerreports.org...-top-list.html

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/10/29/f...orts-reliabil/
and the same consumer report "finds" 09-11 V6 Q6 unreliable.

There were 3 issues w/ them, all fixed by now: defective WP, LED modules, and sunroof leaks.