Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Consumer Reports on the Q5

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 05:39 AM
DrV
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would be interesting to compare reliability of today's cars with those of say, 30 years ago. I think the margins are getting much slimmer with regards to reliability when you look at it from this perspective. Most top brands are actually very reliable in general, but machines will never be perfect and 100% reliability is pie in the sky.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DrV
It would be interesting to compare reliability of today's cars with those of say, 30 years ago. I think the margins are getting much slimmer with regards to reliability when you look at it from this perspective. Most top brands are actually very reliable in general, but machines will never be perfect and 100% reliability is pie in the sky.
Thats correct, if you look at the 2009 JD power 3 year relaibility report, the #1 spot had 122 problems in 3 years per average of 100 cars and the industrial average is only 170 problems. The gap is getting smaller. Also, I notice that Audi is climbing the chart pretty fast.
Attached Images  
Old 03-08-2010, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by The G Man
This is consumer report we are talking about here, if its not a Toyota or Lexus, it wont get top ratings. They should really stick to reviewing toaster ovens and washer and dryers, because their editors dont know much about cars.
Agreed, I look to car magazines for reviews on cars. If I need a new toaster I may look to CR.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I just filled out my JD Power survey for my Q5. Luckily, all my answers were all positive as I haven't had any problems so far (3 mo 3K miles). I really do believe JD Power. Their data seems to be completely from fact versus opinion. It's interesting to see Audi beat BMW which is my experience as well. My wifes 2007 335i usually has some sort of problem at least one every 6 months or so. But Car and Driver usually always puts BMW first against what ever. I am looking forward to many problem free years with my Audi!
Old 03-08-2010, 08:57 AM
DrV
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by The G Man
Also, I notice that Audi is climbing the chart pretty fast.
Thanks G Man, it's just strange that VW, Audi's parent company ranks at the bottom of the pile!
Old 03-08-2010, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DrV
Thanks G Man, it's just strange that VW, Audi's parent company ranks at the bottom of the pile!
It just goes to show you, the German have forgotten how to built a quality and yet affortable car.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by DrV
Good point. I remember as a kid when the famliy went on vacation (early 1950's) my Dad brought along an extra spare tire on a wheel, cooling water in case the thing would overheat on the hills and a few spark plugs and a set of points. One of my earliest cars was a 1967 VW Beetle. I had an "emergency" kit of belts, plugs, rotor and points, a gap gauage for the plugs and points plus a file for the points and a can of spray engine starter. Today you get in a new car and drive it for a few years whtout much worry.

Last edited by irenesbob; 03-08-2010 at 12:19 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by irenesbob
Good point. I remember as a kid when the famliy went on vacation (early 1950's) my Dad brought along an extra spare tire on a wheel, cooling water in case the thing would overheat on the hills and a few saprk plugs and a set of points. One of my earliest cars was a 1967 VW Beetle. I had an "emergency" kit of belts, plugs, rotor and points, a gap gauage for the plugs and points plus a file for the points and a can of spray engine starter. Today you get in a new ar and drive it for a few years whtout much worry.
None of those things will do you any good on a new car today anyways, everything requires special tools
Old 03-08-2010, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

My point is that these "emergency" items were required because there would frequently be problems and a need to use them. Even though today special tools are needed, virtually all components last for a lot longer. Tires used to be dead in 10,000 miles or so and shocks as well. Engine belts would dry, crack and fly off every year or two. All the technologies are better these days, so it is OK for most us not to be fixit-guys like the "old timers" were.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by irenesbob
My point is that these "emergency" items were required because there would frequently be problems and a need to use them. Even though today special tools are needed, virtually all components last for a lot longer. Tires used to be dead in 10,000 miles or so and shocks as well. Engine belts would dry, crack and fly off every year or two. All the technologies are better these days, so it is OK for most us not to be fixit-guys like the "old timers" were.
That is true, I use to spend sometime under the hood every weekend when I was younger. I havent work on my car for the last 10 years.

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports on the Q5