Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

It cost how much?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My two cents ;
I am a german native and I am on my 4th Audi! I have never had any problems with any of my cars and they were serviced regularly. I think Audi is more expensive in Germany than in the US and BMW's are more expensive in the US than back home.
BMW's are also a status symbol here in the US and in my opinion are not as well build .
Old 05-09-2009, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Love all the comments. I echo Cavalier. BMW and MB are in many 'normal' drivers eyes ahead of Audi (canadian wife and wife's family for example still see MB as the luxury brand #1 *haha*). I am German and can tell you that Audi is mentioned there in the same breath as the other two. Audi's slogan VORSPRUNG DURCH TECHNIK (advanced technology) is there for a reason. As cavalier says, they are the trend setters, they bring innovations. And even my wife (see comment above) had to agree that the Audi beats ie. the GLK by a mile. But at the end it is all about personal preferences, likes and dislikes and everyone has to be happy with their choice.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thingstopay@gmail.com
To me a car is 'my toy' and it's not an appliance. There are a few things in life that bring you satisfaction and for me, my ride is one of them. If it were an appliance, I should be driving a 2002 silver CR-V. Reliable, most likely paid for, and incredibly boring. This is what my fridge is like.

The price I'm mentally prepared to pay is a few trips to the dealer and some aggravation. But they will give me another Audi as a loner, anyway.
I hear you. For car aficionados driving enjoyment is a variable one cannot discount.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bob m
I fall somewhere in the middle here. I think the 2010 RX isn't a chick's car - the lines are way different. But luxurious and well built it is, it did not drive too much differently than earlier versions, that is to say, a bit boring. At least that was my initial impression. But on my 08 RX, everything worked flawlessly; after 27 months the car has not a rattle and is as tight as when I first got it. Even the tri-coated white (boring) paint still shines like a diamond after I wash it.
There is no question, the "fit and finish" and attention to detail (as well as dealer experience) is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better with the Lexus.
I still see plenty of first and second generation RX's out here and to me that's a testament to the car's durability and good craftsmanship.

But after one test drive with the Q5 I was hooked; just loved the way it hugged the road and took those turns. That Quattro is just something else.
That Q5 is just plain fun to drive. I can deal with the small, and/or infrequent issues if they arise, but when I can't count on the car to get me (AND MY FAMILY) from point A to point B without a problem, that just takes away or at least considerably diminishes that kick that I am getting out of driving it today. In my mind, at this price point (and I know there are way more $$ cars with poor reliabilty ratings) reliability should not be an issue.
Too bad, you can't have that new RX with that Audi "feel of the road" or the Q5 with the RX's luxury and reliabilty.
Bob
You took the words right out of my mouth. My heart prefers the Audi, but my head prefers the Lexus.

And I echo your sentiment that at this price point reliability should not be an issue. The fact that it is very much an issue for Audi (and other makers) is unforgivable. If the Audi was as reliable as the RX I would not blink at buying it, but the idea of shelling out cash for a car that is going to give all variety of maintenance problems is not something I am willing to ignore.

Earlier someone asked why I expressed my Audi reservations and RX opinions here. I should think that would be obvious: many people are cross shopping these two vehicles. If you look through older threads you will find more than one giving the pros and cons of each vehicle. Not everyone here is an Audi owner; many of us are shopping and soliciting opinions and trading observations.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

It's a done deal for me - I signed a 3 year lease. The only major issue I have is I wish I had known about the very, very early release of the 2010 Q5. Kind of pissed, though not surprised, at my dealer not thinking to mention the 2010's super early arrival, but that's one of the reasons most car salesmen are generally held in so low regard.
I am taking some solace, or placing some faith and hope, in Consumer Reports survey of (Audi) owners, expressing much more favorable feedback on the more current models.
Time will tell, but if I were you, I'd wait a few months, check out the feedback on the forums and review sites; see what isues, if any, are coming up. If all looks good, go for the 2010 Q5, I wouldn't even consider the 2009 version, unless the price was really right.

Bob
Old 05-10-2009, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Lexus still looks like a Minivan, imo. Each generation looks exactly the same. I don't think the new one looks any different than the previous. More like an update.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I agree with almost all of you - if you and a market for new car and don't done your home work -who's fault is it?
That why almost all of as done - we select list of cars we liked and then go and test drive all of them.
Some time when I came to my test drive I knew more about car that a salesmen, who trying to sell me that car.
I feel Bob pain - 2010 came so early - some one should told him.
And one thing that all of as knew - every time you get first year production car - you pay more and you are tester for all of their design flow.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by TIME89
I agree with almost all of you - if you and a market for new car and don't done your home work -who's fault is it?
That why almost all of as done - we select list of cars we liked and then go and test drive all of them.
Some time when I came to my test drive I knew more about car that a salesmen, who trying to sell me that car.
I feel Bob pain - 2010 came so early - some one should told him.
And one thing that all of as knew - every time you get first year production car - you pay more and you are tester for all of their design flow.
This is true. I cannot say that I am overly sad to be getting a 2nd year run with many of the kinks hopefully worked out.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

I would do the Touareg b4 a RX .
Old 05-10-2009, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Duracell
I would do the Touareg b4 a RX .
That Touareg is nice handling, but God awful in terms of reliabilty. Heard it from people who owned it, as well as my reading of it. I hate to sound like a one note Johhny about reliabilty, but when you have a car with a known bad record in that department, I would shy away in a hurry.

Bob

Quick Reply: It cost how much?