Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Crack in windshield

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 03:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crack in windshield

So I was driving on to the highway this evening and as I merged on the highway a speeding 18 wheeler avoids me and passes me in the passing lane...then out of no where a rock comes flying off his roof and slammed right into my windshield and it cracked! I have never had a cracked windshield on any of the vehicles I ever owned. I just bought my Q5 on May 25th. It's been a month. What should I do? Call my insurance company or go to the dealership? Is this easy to repair? It's a small crack, nickel size, right next to the black on the driver side of the rear view mirror attachment. Your advice is greatly appreciated!
Old 06-24-2011, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

I got a "bullseye" crack from a rock recently. My insurance company didn't have a deductible for glass damage. I took it to safelite (the company contracted through the insurance) and the filled in the crack. I can still see it there but its much less noticeable. Depending on how bad the crack is, the probably can fix it.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

We also got a crack about 2 months into our ownership. As we've had the same basic type of policy for 30 years, we never reviewed what options we had on our vehicles. No windshield deductable waiver, so its $500 no matter what damage.

We took it to Audi, and they quoted $800 to replace it. Safelite was about $600. In any event, Audi said they could "fix" it for $50. Other than the slight shimmer of where the crack was, it has held up now for 4 months just fine.

Since this time however, I've revised our coverage to include only a $50 deductable for windshields. My Range Rover has a heated front acoustic windshield, and is VERY expensive to replace.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

I got hit by a rock about 3 months after i got the Q5. It was a bullseye about the size of a penny at the bottom of the windshield. I got it sealed by safelite for about $70. About two weeks ago i got hit by another rock, this time a bigger chip right in the passenger's line of sight. I was going to have the windshield replaced, but i know that as soon as i do i'll get hit again For now, i am going to have saftlite try to fix it and see how it looks.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Wanda3305 You need to look at your insurance coverage and see if it has comprehensive coverage, if it does not get it, it's only 5-10 dollars a year, wait about 2 weeks and call your company about the broken windshield, rule is, if the damage is in drivers view you should either fix it or change the windshield, remember you have the right to request original Audi windshield, take to Audi and make sure you tell them OEM parts only. Good luck.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

In many states (incl. my own Commonwealth of MA) you get one 'free' windshield per calendar year. Last Winter I had to have my Jeep's windshield replaced in November and then again in February due to similar abrupt stone damage. It's a shooting gallery out there these days!
Old 07-18-2011, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by colerex
Wanda3305 You need to look at your insurance coverage and see if it has comprehensive coverage, if it does not get it, it's only 5-10 dollars a year, wait about 2 weeks and call your company about the broken windshield, rule is, if the damage is in drivers view you should either fix it or change the windshield, remember you have the right to request original Audi windshield, take to Audi and make sure you tell them OEM parts only. Good luck.
In New York state, which I dont think applies to Wanda3305 - insurance companies make you go through a photo inspection before adding comprehensive coverage to your policy. In addition, I believe that to get the glass fixed through comprehensive policy - you have to pay a deductible unless you specifically sign up for comprehensive with full glass or have a $0 comprehensive deductible. I am speaking purely from my experience in NY.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by colerex

... if it does not get it, it's only 5-10 dollars a year, wait about 2 weeks and call your company about the broken windshield, ...

That is insurance fraud and is a felony.

The damage occurred when the insurance policy was not in place. You can get into trouble by suggesting that someone commit a crime. I would suggest that you delete your post... Oops, it was already quoted.

No, I am not a lawyer, just a p'd consumer paying too much or my insurance.

"National Insurance Crime Bureau — 1-800-835-6422. The NICB is operated by the insurance industry to investigate insurance crimes involving property and casualty insurance, including auto insurance, liability insurance, workers compensation and homeowners insurance."

Old 07-18-2011, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Wanda3305
So I was driving on to the highway this evening and as I merged on the highway a speeding 18 wheeler avoids me and passes me in the passing lane...then out of no where a rock comes flying off his roof and slammed right into my windshield and it cracked! I have never had a cracked windshield on any of the vehicles I ever owned. I just bought my Q5 on May 25th. It's been a month. What should I do? Call my insurance company or go to the dealership? Is this easy to repair? It's a small crack, nickel size, right next to the black on the driver side of the rear view mirror attachment. Your advice is greatly appreciated!
Your insurance should cover it but but you have to look at your policy. I've used Elite and they have always been very good. I ask for them to put a OEM windshield on - they usually cost more but have a better quality,. They are great at working with your insurance company (me State Farm)
Old 07-18-2011, 01:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks everyone for your advice. I live in MA. I was told by the man fixing my windshield that since I have a 2011 car, I could have my windshield replaced anytime during 2011. He highly suggested that I do that but I decided not to. The crack was very small and after he applied the sealant to the crack you can barely notice it. My insurance company was excellent when I put in my claim. I got it fixed that same day.

I didn't want a new windshield because I barely had the car for a month...I'm not sure how the OEM windshield would keep up...I'd rather have an orginal Audi installed windshield. Too much of a hassel. Ofcourse if something were to occur again, I will consider getting it replaced. So far so good. No complaints

Quick Reply: Crack in windshield