Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Crack in windshield

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Cracks only get worse with time - heat/cold transitions, shock, etc. Do get it replaced; heck, it's free in MA. Just specify OEM Safelite glass and you'll be all set. I typically use JN Phillips and they're excellent. They replace it right in my garage.

Originally Posted by Wanda3305
Thanks everyone for your advice. I live in MA. I was told by the man fixing my windshield that since I have a 2011 car, I could have my windshield replaced anytime during 2011. He highly suggested that I do that but I decided not to. The crack was very small and after he applied the sealant to the crack you can barely notice it. My insurance company was excellent when I put in my claim. I got it fixed that same day.

I didn't want a new windshield because I barely had the car for a month...I'm not sure how the OEM windshield would keep up...I'd rather have an orginal Audi installed windshield. Too much of a hassel. Ofcourse if something were to occur again, I will consider getting it replaced. So far so good. No complaints
Old 07-19-2011, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dsackman
I would suggest that you delete your post...
Are you suggesting that he attempt to cover up his misdeeds by deleting the post? Isn't that obstruction of justice?...a felony in most states?
Old 07-19-2011, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is insurance fraud and is a felony.

The damage occurred when the insurance policy was not in place. You can get into trouble by suggesting that someone commit a crime. I would suggest that you delete your post... Oops, it was already quoted.

No, I am not a lawyer, just a p'd consumer paying too much or my insurance.

"National Insurance Crime Bureau — 1-800-835-6422. The NICB is operated by the insurance industry to investigate insurance crimes involving property and casualty insurance, including auto insurance, liability insurance, workers compensation and homeowners insurance."

The bigger question is why would she not have comp on a brand new vehicle to begin with? If you paid for it (which I would question passing on low interest) and didn't want comp then I doubt you'd be concerned about the cost of a windshield.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

The Q5 must be a magnet for stones hitting the windshield. I have only had this car three months and I have been hit by more stones in this time than I have in the past 20 years total.

Two weeks ago I took another stone hit but this time it chipped and cracked about 1 inch. My windshield is treated with Crystal Fusion from the dealer which warranties this type of damage. I called them and they set me up with an appointment to repair it at Safelite. A few hours later the crack spread over the entire window. I had to go through my insurance which has no deductable on glass and have Safelite order the glass from the dealer. If you don't tell them you want OEM glass you will end up with aftermarket if it's available.

If you go directly to the dealer they will have someone like Safelite (if not Safelite) replace it for them. If your paying out of pocket you might want to skip the dealer and go to the people they use. I do not know of any dealerships installing windshields in house.

Has anyone had trouble with Safelite working on their Q5? I have seen glass shops totally screw up new cars in the past since they have little or no experience with it yet.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Lyth
Has anyone had trouble with Safelite working on their Q5? I have seen glass shops totally screw up new cars in the past since they have little or no experience with it yet.
Safelite screw up the windshield on my last car, it wasnt an Audi though. They mickey mouse all the trimings and the rear view mirror. I find J N Phillips much better. Of course, it really have to do with who is doing the work rather than what company, but the installer at the safelite I use had a lot of young kids working there and the J N Phillips guy have been in the same location for over 25 years.
J N Phillips use PPG glass instead of Audi oem, it turned out PPG was actually a better glass. It is a harder glass and more chip resistance.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Safelite screw up the windshield on my last car, it wasnt an Audi though. They mickey mouse all the trimings and the rear view mirror. I find J N Phillips much better. Of course, it really have to do with who is doing the work rather than what company, but the installer at the safelite I use had a lot of young kids working there and the J N Phillips guy have been in the same location for over 25 years.
J N Phillips use PPG glass instead of Audi oem, it turned out PPG was actually a better glass. It is a harder glass and more chip resistance.
I went to JN Phillips. They said that they needed to order the windshield from my Audi dealership and it would take up to a week or so for it to come and JNP would install.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by HaveBullDogWillTravel
Are you suggesting that he attempt to cover up his misdeeds by deleting the post? Isn't that obstruction of justice?...a felony in most states?
Stated in jest. Did you see the "Oops..."?

Old 07-20-2011, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Wanda3305
I went to JN Phillips. They said that they needed to order the windshield from my Audi dealership and it would take up to a week or so for it to come and JNP would install.
Thats a smart move, you get one free windshield a year in MA, you might as well use it.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Stated in jest. Did you see the "Oops..."?
Yep
My jest didn't need a oops tho...

Last edited by HaveBullDogWillTravel; 07-20-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Safelite put the oem windshield in today mine today. They did a good job. You would never know it was worked on. That sure is a load off my chest.