Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Crashed my Q5 :'-(

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doggone

Doggone - if it was me, but I do really understand what u did, why hit it if u can miss it.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Inattentive and "too fast" for the environment driving result loosing control of your vehicle to struck a stationary object such as a utility pole or guard rail. I am sure I would do the same to avoid the dog.
Airbag was not deployed because the vehicle's deceleration was not sufficiently large enough to activate the sensor, not because the sensors "did not move much".
Old 06-30-2013, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by rarslan
Inattentive and "too fast" for the environment driving result loosing control of your vehicle to struck a stationary object such as a utility pole or guard rail. I am sure I would do the same to avoid the dog.
Airbag was not deployed because the vehicle's deceleration was not sufficiently large enough to activate the sensor, not because the sensors "did not move much".
Inattention would've resulted in a doggy speed bump. Doesn't sound like the problem was "loosing" (sic) control.

Agreed on the airbag sensors though.

OP, you have my sympathy.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Why would anyone drive into a barrier if they have not lost the control of the vehicle but "maintaining" the control? That's what I meant.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by rarslan
Why would anyone drive into a barrier if they have not lost the control of the vehicle but "maintaining" the control? That's what I meant.
Crashing is not always losing control (but most if the time it is). In defensive driving, you can be presented with a critical situation in which crash is inevitable due to no fault to the driver. The driver must then make a split second decision on what will CTLD (cause the least damage with priority to life and limb before vehicle). This could include a controlled crash into a barrier to avoid hitting and killing a pedestrian.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wrcardon
Well, just had my first car crash. I had just detailed the car too.

I swerved to miss a dog off a leash while taking a very tight s-turn. Was only going about 30 miles an hour but I hit a guard rail end on. There was also a huge gas and electric pipe sticking out of the ground there which I rode up on. It was 1/2 a mile from home. I was the only person in the car, and I was not injured at all. No airbag deployment but damn, the damage is dramatic on the front end.

The guy performing the assessment for the insurance company is not sure if the car's damage is salvageable or not yet. He says he has to get it up on the rack and start taking it apart to see how much of the frame/engine/etc was damaged.

Any one have any accident/insurance wisdom?

Thanks
Glad you are OK and you did not hit the dog. Although irresponsible owners that allow their dogs off leash really make me crazy. Blame the owner.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Definitely a tough deal. If the car's not totaled, it'll have a Carfax accident on it, which will obviously show up at trade-in time. Might be worth asking your insurance agent if your rates will go up the same whether it's totaled or repaired (or maybe you have one of those accident forgiveness deals, in which case no change). I'd total it if I was given the choice (not likely but never hurts to ask) and start with a clean Carfax vehicle. Main thing is the safety pieces did their job and you're ok.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

I know that the airbag sensors work off acceleration, what I meant was that they are designed to be hit in an accident so it is calibrated appropriately. Since nothing ever hit the headlights, everything else absorbed enough energy that it didn't set the airbags off. Had it actually hit the headlights, the airbags would have deployed.

Take it to an Audi authorized shop if you want it written off. It is more likely to be written off their as they usually have higher prices and will use OEM parts instead of jobber (though I don't think there are any jobber parts). I know how much parts for this car costs - if it pushed the radiator/cooling fan into the engine, I'm 90% sure they will write it off. The front bumper alone costs around $1500 in parts.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by brutus23079
Definitely a tough deal. If the car's not totaled, it'll have a Carfax accident on it, which will obviously show up at trade-in time. Might be worth asking your insurance agent if your rates will go up the same whether it's totaled or repaired (or maybe you have one of those accident forgiveness deals, in which case no change). I'd total it if I was given the choice (not likely but never hurts to ask) and start with a clean Carfax vehicle. Main thing is the safety pieces did their job and you're ok.
I'm in the insurance business. In Pa a totlal loss is the same ss a $2, 000. Loss.
You may be better off if they total it.

Depending on the age of the car your insurance company WIll use After market parts.
Just read the fine print of your policy.

Its a collision loss. I'm sure you may have a $500. Ded and your rates will go up.
(Some companies give the first claim for free..haha.)

If you hit the dog it become a comprehensive claim and a $100.ded. and no rate increase.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sorry about the haha. Not making fun of your situation.
Was referring to getting a free claim from the insurance company.

Sadly nothing is free anymore. . Sorry for your loss no fun
Going through a claim.

Quick Reply: Crashed my Q5 :'-(