Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Creaking Noise When Applying The Brake

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently bought a certified 2009 A6 & have the same issue. The dealer said it was "normal" because of the play in the brakes & depends on how you release it, but after a few days of driving, it is beginning to annoy me. I read through all the posts in this forum, and it seems like, in general, folks haven't had much luck with it. I am wondering if I should take it to another dealer for a second opinion. Is something like this covered by the original warranty?
Old 07-18-2012, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Started a thread on this same topic for my Q5. Symptom treated-lubed suspension and noise went away only to return later. Dealer now says noise is normal.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hey guys, I have been having a similar problem with my 02 GTI. I tried vwvortex but we cant seem to figure it out. Seems like you guys are having a similar problem.

I replaced all of my pads/rotors a little more than a month ago and as of a few weeks ago, I started getting a weird creaking sound in the front drivers side wheel area. It is a very inconsistent problem, or it was at first. I would be at a stop light and when I would go to take off I would hear a loud obnoxious creaking; pretty much as if I was trying to drive and the brake was still engaged. For the most part, it occured mostly when backing up or if I was on any sort of incline (ie, if I were on a hill and I rolled back, I would hear it).

The only way to make the sound go away was to stomp on the brake a few times and eventually the sound would go away (the pads would disengage?) and I could back up without looking like an *******.

The only thing I could think of was lubing up/replacing the guide pins and bushings for the caliper, so I did. Low and behold, it worked, the noise was gone, the car felt like it had more power. Unfortunately, the noise was back the next day. Its not as bad as it was, but still there, and still annoying. It seems to happen more when moving forward as opposed to in reverse. Im assuming the guide pin replacement didnt really do anything but it was more based on the fact that I had clamped down the caliper piston to put the pads back in; after a day of braking, the pad ended up back in its previous position.

Its not a failing caliper is it? Based on from what Ive read, it kind of seems like I am not braking hard enough (which is true, I brake way to early kind of ride my brakes ) I did make sure (when I first replaced everything) to properly bed the pads and what not but I guess I didnt do a good enough job?

Since replacing and lubing up the guide pins, the noise usually occurs during the first startup/drive of the day. I back the car out, and start driving, and the noise happens right before I exit my parking lot and get on the street. Ive noticed that stomping on the brakes pretty hard will usually make the noise go away, I guess Ill just do that every time I brake and see what happens
Old 07-24-2012, 01:32 PM
meh
AudiWorld Newcomer

Had the same issue on my 2010 A4 and ended up going back to the dealer several times over. Over 4 different visits, they ended up changing the pads, rotors and something which is meant to support the engine. The problem ceased to exist thereafter but I shortly after upgraded to a Q5 which thankfully doesn't have this issue. Yet.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Here is my story and my first post

I purchased a new Q5 2012 premium plus in Canada in August 2012. Immediately i noticed the creaking brakes and was told this was normal and bedding in, allow up to 8,000km.

I then take the car in after 4,000km to have the pads shaved and the disks acid washed, but when I pick it up I am told they could not find anything so did not do it. as I went to drive away the noise was insane so I yanked the service foreman to the car and got told "cant do anything about that" and he walked off.

So I contacted the sales manager and he was brilliant I told him I was not prepared to live with it for 3-5 years so he (with some $$$ down) is putting me into a brand new 2013 which uses ceramic brakes. Yes its cost me a bit for the upgrade as the 2013 is a lot more car, but I am very impressed with Audi's response to this, basically i am getting everything back I paid for the car minus tax and paying the difference to the upgraded 2013.

If that does not cure it Mercedes have my business in 3 years.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2013 Audi A6

Hello ALL

I was doing research on this same issue that everyone seems to be having. I just got my AUDI A6 2.0 Quattro two weeks ago used with 20,000 miles on it. I love the drive and features however yesterday I had to drive a lot in traffic and downtown. I noticed it before but the stop and go situation made me Crazy. Creaking noise and Shuddering of Brakes. I have a BMW 5 series and Acura MDX and neither are annoying to drive in stop and go traffic like the AUDI. Also the car rolls forward when I put it in Park? This doesn't seem normal as well. I have not called the service department yet. My salesman mentioned it was normal. :/ I love my newish Car but anyone have any suggestions. I saw someone mention when the Air conditioning is on that happens, and replacing the Ball Joint.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

my 2009 A4 b8 prestige, does the same , its loud a s hell, it took it to Audi dealership , and they said brakes are fine, i am new to Audi,and would appreciate any trip from fellow friends
Old 12-26-2021, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Creaking back brakes...

Dealer changed some bushings in back suspension....no mre noise.
The following users liked this post:
Q5 Guy (01-27-2024)
Old 01-27-2024, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by flogsta
Hi folks,

it has been a while since my last post and I thought I check back re: the issue described in this thread.

I just came back from vacation and hoped to 'ignore' the issue but still I am out of luck - drives me nuts.

I am just wondering, anyone else outthere with the same issue? I hate to go back to the dealer and being told/demonstrated that other A4 and Q5 have the same. I can just not understand how a luxury car will make that kind of noise when applying the brakes (the Lexus, XC60 etc. I drove did not have that). Anyone outthere maybe who knows about a TSB other than the one I mentioned earlier?

Thanks, appreciate any input.

Flogsta

PS: Beside this issue, LOVE THE CAR.

I know exactly what you are talking about and have the exact same issue exactly as you described since I had my q5 lowered. I have my own vehicle hoist and knowledge. I will work this out and will let you know.