Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

creaky noises coming from the back

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 06:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=soonerfan;24062412]I have almost 2000 miles on my 2011 and the creaking began last week. Before I searched this forum, I have applied a silicone lubricant to the weather stripping in the doors and the rear hatch, and lubed the catches on the rear seat backs. No change.
I was about to attack the area beneath the cargo floor and tighten anything up that I could see. I'll concentrate on the rear seat for sure, now.
It has to be something really simple............usually is.[/QUOTE

I just noticed the noise as well around 2500 miles on my 2011. I am going to contact service and see what I can find out.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Found the culprit! It's the spare tire hold-down screw. Under the cargo floor, you'll find the spare tire or donut. I wiggled the hold-down plastic hand nut and immediately got a squeak out of it. The assembly is plastic on plastic (no surprise). Take some petroleum jelly and spread a thin layer on the mating parts ( I know you guys are familiar with this) and tighten down snug.
I took a test drive and no squeaks.

Knew it had to be simple!
Old 11-17-2010, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by soonerfan
Found the culprit! It's the spare tire hold-down screw. Under the cargo floor, you'll find the spare tire or donut. I wiggled the hold-down plastic hand nut and immediately got a squeak out of it. The assembly is plastic on plastic (no surprise). Take some petroleum jelly and spread a thin layer on the mating parts ( I know you guys are familiar with this) and tighten down snug.

That would be crazy if what you report is the real culprit for all of the creaking Q5s out there. And I wonder how many rear seats were needlessly repaired.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might be the cause of yours, but not mine. I know this because mine does not squeak when someone is sitting in the back seat, only when no one is in the back seat, which means it is definitely the back seat. And on my previous '09 Q5, it was also the back seat because they ended up replacing it.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I hope is that,and will try it tonight. I ahve a feeling it is the seat. I talked to the dealer and they said are you sure it's not the seat belts. AHHHHHH
Old 11-17-2010, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

While I had the jelly jar out, I spread a little on the slots where the seat backs lock in the upright position, and also in the areas where the removeable package tray slides into. I previously did this with a little silicone spray and it didn't make any difference.
Just came back from another errand and all is quiet.....at least for now.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

That was it, I lifted the matt up and yes the plastic assembly was loose. I simply tightened the assembly and no more noise. Thanks
Old 11-18-2010, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Glad it was such a simple fix. Maybe the 2011 models have a redesigned seat that eliminates the 2010 seat squeak issue.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Took delivery of my 2011 Q5 just last week and was hearing a creaking noise from the back too. Tried your suggestion for the spare tire nut (minus the petroleum jelly) and so far, no more creaking noise. Thanks for posting your discovery as it sure is a simple fix.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a 2011 3.2 with 2100 miles on it and for at least a couple of weeks it has an aggravating creaking coming from the back as well. I tried tighting down the plastic screw down for the spare, no luck the noise was still there. I then put down both rear seats the noise went away. I put up the smaller of the two, the noise was still gone. I then put up the larger of the two and the creaking returned. For now the larger seat is in the down position until I can get it to the dealer, I need my serenity. I refuse to begin spraying or greasing the seat until I see what the dealer can find. It makes me nervous to read some of the posts on this issue so I hope I don't get a "its in you head" type of response, know what I mean?

Quick Reply: creaky noises coming from the back