Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

creaky noises coming from the back

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Toes
It makes me nervous to read some of the posts on this issue so I hope I don't get a "its in you head" type of response, know what I mean?
I'd bet you'll get a better response from you Audi dealer than I did from a MB service manager one time. After I complained about a noise coming from the fuel system he told me to just turn up my radio.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yesterday, I started hearing a little squeak and rechecked the spare tire hold down. It was still tight.
And after referring to this thread and discovering the driver's side seat back to be the potential culprit, I lowered it and test drove. Squeak disappeared as was mentioned previously. So, I figured it might be in the latch on the seat back and put a strip of black electrical tape around the vertical portion of the latch portion on the side of the interior and a small piece on the rod portion in the seat back.
No squeaks now.
Kinda hokey, but it is invisible, cheap, and it works for now......
Old 12-06-2010, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just noticed some loud squeaking over last 1k miles... especially this morning on way to work on the freeway.

It has been cold here lately (well 40-50 is cold for West Coasters) so I'll try the spare then rear seats. then I'll pop off the rear cover.

Thanks in advance for the tips...
Old 12-07-2010, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ok... I hear a creak AND a rattle. The creak is much louder then the rattle.

I put the rear seat down behind the driver and the creaking stopped. I have yet to check the spare or remove the rear cover that I think the rattle is coming from.

Hopefully the dealer can repair the creak w\o replacing the seat.

Will report more later.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

I tightened the spare (it was loose) and still hear the rattle. It has got to be the rear cover. I will remove it this weekend and will let you guys know.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Creaky Back Seat

I did take the car into the dealer having cloned down the sound to the drivers side rear seat, they applied some conditioner to it, the "creak" is gone. For the first time in years my wife took the Q5 in and she tried to tell me where they put the stuff but I will have her show me and I will repost. Next, I am going have them pursue the rear-end "howl" which is becomming more and more aggrevating when I am at highway speeds. It kind of disappears when accelerating or slowing down but its there for sure at constant speeds. I think there has been previous posts about that as well.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did take the car into the dealer having cloned down the sound to the drivers side rear seat, they applied some conditioner to it, the "creak" is gone. For the first time in years my wife took the Q5 in and she tried to tell me where they put the stuff but I will have her show me and I will repost. Next, I am going have them pursue the rear-end "howl" which is becomming more and more aggrevating when I am at highway speeds. It kind of disappears when accelerating or slowing down but its there for sure at constant speeds. I think there has been previous posts about that as well.
Check this post: "Humming noise from the exhaust system and Audi doesn't have a fix..."

Hope you have better luck!
Old 12-09-2010, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Howl vs humming......huge difference. As mine ended up being the howl and the fix was a new differential.
good luck.

BTW: i've got the creak from the backseat too. yay me!
Old 12-10-2010, 04:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Phil C
I know this is a crazy thread, so I will apologize up front.

There is a squeaky noise coming from the back seat?, cargo area?, not sure when I go over a bump, rough road etc.

I love the truck, a 2011 Q5 Sline with 2500 miles on it, but this is making me crazy.

I've looked over everything and can't find the culprit, I was thinking the cargo mat as it's plastic but I'm not thinking that's the issue.

Any advice before I lose my mind.

Thanks,
I had the same problem and it was resolved at my 5k mile service. Evidently it was a latch in the rear that needed adjusting. Good luck.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2010 Q5 - Squeaky Noise Fixed

I had a squeak coming from the back around 2k miles on a 2010 Q5. I retightened the spare tire assembly although that didn't help. I lowered the drivers side and middle rear seat and the squeak went away. I located the source of the squeak to be the latch between the drivers side rear seat and middle rear seat. I wrapped a one-inch piece of electrical tape around the horizontal post part of the latch on the drivers side rear seat (like applying a band-aid to your finger) and the squeak is now gone.

Quick Reply: creaky noises coming from the back