Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Cross Bars Included with Q5?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used them to haul a Christmas tree. They seem okay. If mammoth had some snow I probably would have tried a ski box on it last weekend.

Suposedly they talk to the computer and tell the suspension to act like it has a big load on the roof.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
Delta Bravo, i like that
A Delta Bravo probably stays at the Alpha Hotel.

Back to the bars, I hear they whistle like crazy and are awful to drive with considering the Q5 is engineered so you can whisper to someone even travelling at 100mph.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:27 AM
Terlonz

Received 272 Likes on 183 Posts

The bars for our A4 wagon were better than the free Q5 set. Unfortunately, a set of A4 bars only fit 2010-2012 A4 wagons and cost $475 ! . But I got lucky and found an almost-new set on Craigslist for $175. I've given away or sold cheaply any number of crossbar sets and racks. Most have been to people on those cars' web forums. I figure the Craigslist find was good car-ma for not being a Delta Bravo and instead giving away or selling cheaply the things I no longer needed.

Anyway, the A4 bars are over-engineered, have a low profile but still clear the sunroof, are a better design and better quality, etc. Clearly, Audi knew that someone paying ~$500 would probably expect something nice.

The Q5 and A4 bars are both slotted to accept your stuff. Once installed, cut and insert the rubber strips (included) into any remaining slotted areas. otherwise those slots are like a wind instrument at speed and will whistle like crazy. based on my experience with the A4, and looking at the Q5 design, I think they're going to be a little noisy regardless.

Most Q5s are ordered. I'm glad I got my bars free but they really ought to make them a low cost (like $300) option. People who need them could order them. Others would not have to deal with them.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

How does the Q5 handle with the crossbars on? I'm driving up to snowshoe next month and have to fit 4 snowboards on top of my car, which is something I've never done before. Does it make that much of a difference?
Old 01-19-2012, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had crossbars on with 3 pairs of skis and I don't really feel any difference in handling but definitely much noisier and the gas mileage is lower than usual too.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by kchao2000
I had crossbars on with 3 pairs of skis and I don't really feel any difference in handling but definitely much noisier and the gas mileage is lower than usual too.
I see. Hopefully this won't be a miserable drive.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by painmd
Anxiously awaiting my Q5 moonlight blue metallic with cinnamon interior....~74 days & counting!!
Give me a rough indication of how many miles you drive in a year so I can start your ODO on the spreadsheet (now that have you posted an approx arrival date). That way we can see your estimated miles clocking off to zero.
Just for fun.
Jusforfun
Old 01-19-2012, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by burdoogo
How does the Q5 handle with the crossbars on? I'm driving up to snowshoe next month and have to fit 4 snowboards on top of my car, which is something I've never done before. Does it make that much of a difference?
Handaling is no different and I drove through a blizzard with 2 feet of snow with 3 pairs of skis up top. Maybe my traction control kicked in sooner, i can't really be sure.

Originally Posted by kchao2000
^^ This

Originally Posted by burdoogo
I see. Hopefully this won't be a miserable drive.
Just crank the music and you'll be ok!
Old 01-19-2012, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With the cross bars installed, the stability/traction control system just kicks in a bit sooner to handle what the system perceives as 200 lbs on top the roof changing the center of gravity higher ...

from here:
http://www.iamaudi.com/audi-q5-roof-...d-audi-expert/

The Audi Q5 comes standard with adaptive cross bars that can be installed in less then ten minutes and will actually change the driving characteristics of the vehicle to counteract the top heaviness caused by the roof load.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My wife just traded in her CC on Monday night and got a Q5, and she was so eager for me to put the bars on because it makes cars look more "Sporty" in her opinion, and I agree. So, I indulged her and did so last night (it was pouring Monday night). It took about ten minutes to put them on. I have to admit, Audi definitely engineered those bars well to be put on easily (or had them engineered well).

However... Holy noisy!

We noticed them after we got 1/2 mile from our house this morning on our way to work (we carpool together), and declared they are coming off tonight! Thankfully it doesn't take long to put them on or off, but how the heck did Audi mess that one up?? I have had numerous factory and Thule racks on my cars over the years, and I have never experienced so much noise. And you can't even put a fairing on the bars because of the sunroof. Epic Fail Audi... Epic Fail.

At least they built the price of them into the cost of the car, so you don't really realize you're paying $300 on them (or however much).

Otherwise, we love the car!

Quick Reply: Cross Bars Included with Q5?