Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Crossbar Noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 02:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A simple solution to eliminate the noise would be to add a fairing.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm - how do you add a fairing to the rack with a panoramic roof? If I do, I will not be able to use the sunroof and the fairing feet will be on the glass. Also, to those who suggest taking the rack off when not using it, you must not use your rack very often. I use mine 3-4 days/week and it includes two bike carriers. That's not a viable option for a true sport ute. I'll figure it out, and then I will stop whining. When I do, I will share my ingenous solution. It will probably involve insulating foam and duct tape!!! Or, maybe just a better sub-woofer!
Old 12-18-2009, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Rack On, Rack Off

Originally Posted by FitzLA
Having the crossbars on only tells the car there is extra weight on the roof if there IS extra weight on the roof. It has a sensor. if there is nothing on the roof rack, it will not react.

If you don't like the noise, take them off. I have mine on all the time in the winter, and I honestly never notice a difference.
Rack on... as I understand the system, the vehicle responds as IceBjorn said in his message, in that just putting the rack on completes the circuit so that the sensor assumes there is extra weight up top all the time, regardless of whether the crossbars are loaded or not. In other words, rack on, handling is always modified to react as if loaded. But you are not likely to ever notice a handling difference unless you have to make a very extreme maneuver.

Rack off... as for rack noise, on my vehicle there is no totally objectionable noise difference, no loud howling, and I'm OK leaving it on most of the time, but there is certainly enough additional wind noise to let me know if the rack is on or off.

But, IMO the Q5 sure looks cooler with rack on!
Old 12-18-2009, 08:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Loophole
Rack on... as I understand the system, the vehicle responds as IceBjorn said in his message, in that just putting the rack on completes the circuit so that the sensor assumes there is extra weight up top all the time, regardless of whether the crossbars are loaded or not. In other words, rack on, handling is always modified to react as if loaded. But you are not likely to ever notice a handling difference unless you have to make a very extreme maneuver.

Rack off... as for rack noise, on my vehicle there is no totally objectionable noise difference, no loud howling, and I'm OK leaving it on most of the time, but there is certainly enough additional wind noise to let me know if the rack is on or off.

But, IMO the Q5 sure looks cooler with rack on!
I took the rack off for a short time in the summer and put it back on. I definitely like it better on!
Old 12-18-2009, 09:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've commented on this earlier, but I just don't see how the Q5 can change the handling based simply on whether the rack is on or off. My understanding is that it adjusts the ESP, which means it only takes effect at the limit of traction. I've had the bars on only around the city, but I haven't yet mounted a rack so I took them off. Still waiting for clips from Yakima to be available to mount a Fat Cat (anyone put one on yet?). Drove the A4 up to Vail tonight because I was solo, so I still haven't taken the Q5 for a ski trip.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default You said it best...

Originally Posted by AudiCO
I've commented on this earlier, but I just don't see how the Q5 can change the handling based simply on whether the rack is on or off. My understanding is that it adjusts the ESP, which means it only takes effect at the limit of traction.
What you said is what I awkwardly meant by "rack on, handling is always modified to react as if loaded", i.e., when rack is on, ESP reaction will be different when the situation arises. I didn't mean handling per se.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Loophole
What you said is what I awkwardly meant by "rack on, handling is always modified to react as if loaded", i.e., when rack is on, ESP reaction will be different when the situation arises. I didn't mean handling per se.
Wasn't try to put words it anyone's mouth, just trying to increase the understanding. I am certainly not the authority, only based on previous experience with ESP. BTW the Q5 has done amicably in the snow if only at city speeds, I expect nothing but the best from this vehicle. (Which is to say I fully expect to rage this thing to the mountains while it's dumping)

Last edited by AudiCO; 12-18-2009 at 10:02 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I would be very mad paid $50,000 for a vechile and run into this kind of issue.After read so many complaints about Audi Q5 I understand why Subaru name S.U.V of the year by Motor Trends. Also I like to new redesign of the 2010 Outback. It very aggressive and with power V6 which get 26 mpg on the highway.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by happyaudi
I would be very mad paid $50,000 for a vechile and run into this kind of issue.After read so many complaints about Audi Q5 I understand why Subaru name S.U.V of the year by Motor Trends. Also I like to new redesign of the 2010 Outback. It very aggressive and with power V6 which get 26 mpg on the highway.
Subaru is a great station wagon, but its not an Audi. I have owned both, so I can tell you from expereince that they do not drive the same. I paid $50000 for a SUV with a removable roof rack. When the roof rack is remove, its very quiet, but with the rack on, its as noisy as any Subaru with a roof rack, the problem with the Subaru is that you cannot remove the rack.
If you like the new Outback, by all mean buy one. We look at the Outback, its no Q5, thats for sure. The material quality and technology is about 2 level below Audi, you get what you paid for, believe me.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Doesn't matter what kind of car you drive - you throw up some racks on the roof, and there will be noise. Only solution is a fairing like someone mentioned or remove them.

Quick Reply: Crossbar Noise