Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Deep Sea Blue vs Ming Blue?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Deep Sea Blue vs Ming Blue?

Well the Q got a nice little scratch on it from someone leaning against it outside a bar a week ago. I called to order one of those Audi touchup pens at a temporary solution. When I gave them my vin they said the color code was Ming Blue, but the car is deep sea blue according to my window sticker. Are they the same or do I need to call and make sure there isn't some error? Also anyone have experience with the touchup pens?
Old 07-10-2010, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteDin206
Well the Q got a nice little scratch on it from someone leaning against it outside a bar a week ago. I called to order one of those Audi touchup pens at a temporary solution. When I gave them my vin they said the color code was Ming Blue, but the car is deep sea blue according to my window sticker. Are they the same or do I need to call and make sure there isn't some error? Also anyone have experience with the touchup pens?
Maybe in China Deep Sea Blue is called Ming Blue?
Old 07-11-2010, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like they either typed the wrong VIN or someone entered the wrong 'color code'. The code for a touchup pen Ming Blue Pearl Effect is: LZ5L. What code Deep Sea Blue Pearl do you have on your 'invoice'?
Old 07-11-2010, 10:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

LZ5A is the paint code I've found online for Deep Sea Blue. I couldn't find it on the invoice, but I'm going to check the car tomorrow. I'm going to have to call the dealer tomorrow and see why Ming Blue comes up out of my VIN.

Anyone have experience with the touch up pens?
Old 07-12-2010, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PeteDin206
LZ5A is the paint code I've found online for Deep Sea Blue. I couldn't find it on the invoice, but I'm going to check the car tomorrow. I'm going to have to call the dealer tomorrow and see why Ming Blue comes up out of my VIN.

Anyone have experience with the touch up pens?
Yep...same experience with bottled touch up. I do not use the applicator because it usually just makes a mess. If the area to be touched-up is large then the applicator may be usefull. I use a piece of card board(NOT corrugated paper)cut to a fine point at one end. The further you dip the point into the paint the wider the coverage. Apply the touch-up paint right up to the edge of the undamaged paint and layer(allowing sufficient dry-time between coats) it until it's even with the surface of the undamaged paint. Again, allow sufficient dry time. Then carefully wet sand(I typically start with 1000 and finish with 2000 grit wet/dry paper) the repaired area until it's surface is even with the undamaged area. This is where many people get into trouble...you must go very slowly so as not to remove too much of the adjacent paintwork. Doing so will cause more damage than you started out with. If you're not paying close attention it's easy to cut right through the clear coat and once that happens the base disappears in a hurry. Of course, if you are eventually going to have the panel re-sprayed, this is a great opportunity for you to hone your touch-up skills. Anyway...after sanding to a level surface use varying grades of polish to remove sanding scratches and bring back the shine.
MAKE SURE you shake the touch-uo paint vigorously for at least 3 minutes or the color may be WAY OFF.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased this for my Crystal White Pearl Mazdaspeed 3, http://www.autogeek.net/langka-paint...epair-kit.html

You will still see the little chip or stratch if you get right up close to it but most people shouldn't even see it and it's much better then leaving the metal exposed. It's great for quick touchups and you can't really do it wrong unlike the sandpaper technique. I have never tried using sandpaper so perhaps it's not as hard as it sounds.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sjeffrey
I have never tried using sandpaper so perhaps it's not as hard as it sounds.
It requires patience and a bit of practice. I wouldn't call it easy.