Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Demand for 2.0TFSI

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by the-oneil
Welcome to the forum
Good choice of options, i think it'll be worth the wait as you'll get a bespoke car that's made to your liking/need.

I went the same route, here in England the Q5s are selling like hot cakes!! The wait is bout 6 months with some dealers, but we do keep our cars for long time and therefore have to make sure we are happy with it - no compromises
Wow, 6 months wait. You are much more patient that I would be if you have to wait 6 months. I can't understand why you would have to wait that long being in the UK when the US is much farther away from Germany and the wait here is supposedly only 12weeks? (At least I hope its ony 12 weeks ... or less???!!)
Old 10-18-2010, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ace44
Wow, 6 months wait. You are much more patient that I would be if you have to wait 6 months. I can't understand why you would have to wait that long being in the UK when the US is much farther away from Germany and the wait here is supposedly only 12weeks? (At least I hope its ony 12 weeks ... or less???!!)
Thats because the Q5 is in higher demand in Europe.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by The G Man
Thats because the Q5 is in higher demand in Europe.
+1 Audi can't sell enough of the Q5s
Old 10-18-2010, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I wonder how much more Audi can ramp up capacity at their plant. Pretty sure there's some lost sales with how long these order times are taking.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by gat821
I wonder how much more Audi can ramp up capacity at their plant. Pretty sure there's some lost sales with how long these order times are taking.
I think they are at maximum already, they started 24 hours production over a year ago and production is still behind demand. German unlike some Japanese and American car companies dont like to flood the market with its cars and end up with a fire sale.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I was a betting man, I'd wager the lack of availability is due to the 2.0TFSI engine's use in so many VAG models.....and probably soon to be in a Porsche Boxster. Allocations per model, no doubt.....
Old 10-18-2010, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I think they are at maximum already, they started 24 hours production over a year ago and production is still behind demand. German unlike some Japanese and American car companies dont like to flood the market with its cars and end up with a fire sale.
Agreed. Though it's anecdotal and this forum is a small sample size, I'd argue that they can still ramp up quite a bit before they get to fire sale volumes. I bet there's some Audi manager chomping at the bit to maintain the sales momentum of the previous months.

That the 2.0T is used in a lot of VAG models makes a lot of sense too.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by gat821
I'd argue that they can still ramp up quite a bit before they get to fire sale volumes.
I think Audi just open up a Q5 factory in India, its only for Q5 to be sold in India, but it will still free up some units for the rest of the world.
Its a very fine line between a vehicle in demand and over producing a vehicle. One month, the Q5 can be high in demand and 3 months from now, demand could be down. With the new X3 on the horizon, my bet is that Audi do not want to be stuck with a new production line or a new factory and low demand for the Q5.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

I think Audi just open up a Q5 factory in India, its only for Q5 to be sold in India, but it will still free up some units for the rest of the world.
Its a very fine line between a vehicle in demand and over producing a vehicle. One month, the Q5 can be high in demand and 3 months from now, demand could be down. With the new X3 on the horizon, my bet is that Audi do not want to be stuck with a new production line or a new factory and low demand for the Q5.

I think your analysis of the impact of the re-designed X3 is spot on. It will definitely take away sales from the Q5. Specifically, it will take away sales of those who will cross shop the upper trim X3 xDrive30i. Besides interior and exterior upgrades, the upper trim X3 xDrive30i will have a turbo charged 3.0 L I6 engine mated to a 8-speed transmission producing 300HP and 300lb-ft. Without the 3.0T engine option on the Q5, this will be a no brainer for many cross shoppers. Especially since the base MSRP of the "upper trim" Q5 3.2 starts at $42,500 and the base MSRP of the X3 xDrive30i starts at $41,050.

(As many members of this forum speculate, Audi will hopefully address this deficiency in the 2012 model year.)

I did initially think that the 2.0T Q5 will not be affected by the new X3, but with a price drop on the base X3 xDrive28i trim (MSRP of $36,750), it might be BMW's attempt to address the Q5 2.0T base price point ($35,200). Q5 2.0T with it's 2.0L I4 engine mated to a 8-speed transmission producing 211HP and 258 ft-lbs verses X3 xDrive28i with it's 3.0L I6 engine mated to a 8-speed transmission producing 240HP and 230lb-ft. Not exactly a clear winner, but will definitely have shoppers thinking. The free maintenance program might be the kicker.

Last edited by snakebite; 10-18-2010 at 12:02 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are they made out of matchsticks?

Quick Reply: Demand for 2.0TFSI