Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Demand for 2.0TFSI

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

All things being equal, If I have a choice of buying the same car from Germany or in the US, there is no question I would but the car made in Germany.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I question the validity of this assumption. If Audi set up production in India or Nigeria, would you feel comfortable buying your Q5 if they were manufactured in those countries?

Originally Posted by Huey52
It's all about German design. The assembly is largely automated whether it be Germany or the US and the touch labor follows precise instructions that are QA-step inspected - no worries.

X3 US buyers save potential overseas transport wear and tear too.

I can wait for a Q5 tho'.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

We're talking US vs. German assembly... let's not get too off base!

Originally Posted by NMW1982
I question the validity of this assumption. If Audi set up production in India or Nigeria, would you feel comfortable buying your Q5 if they were manufactured in those countries?
Old 10-20-2010, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

And what is wrong with India, they probably have the most over-educated car assembly work force in the world.
Its all about workmanship and pride in their work. The Germans and the Japanese are the best at those areas.
If I buy a German car, I expect German workmanship. If I am fine with a car that is made in the US, I would buy a GM or Ford.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jperryrocks
But overall, Mercedes has not fared as good with reliability in Alabama.

I guess it's not just the plant, but the quality of materials that Mercedes has used on the ML's, GL's, GLK's is so/so. But nowhere near as good as you would think for how expensive they are.

There's s certain element of chepness in a $60,000 ML that can't be denied.
Have you owned one? Where do you get the information to make these statements? I purchased and owned an Alabama built MB ML for 9 years. It was a great vehicle. I would agree that there were some design issues with it but as far as quality of materials, they were excellent. The ML held together very well and drove almost as good as new when we sold it. I even sold it for $9K to the first family that looked at it. Not bad for a 140K mile used vehicle. We paid $37K for it in 2002.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Are you saying that Indian and Nigerian laborers are somehow inferior to American and German laborers?

Why do you assume that the uneducated blue collar workers in the American south are as skillful of craftsmen as the Germans?

Also, why would it matter if like you say most of the work is done by machines?

Old 10-20-2010, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

You're again getting too far off base. I was innitialy just affirming that US workmanship in Spartanburg is nothing to worry about. Chill.

Originally Posted by NMW1982
Are you saying that Indian and Nigerian laborers are somehow inferior to American and German laborers?

Why do you assume that the uneducated blue collar workers in the American south are as skillful of craftsmen as the Germans?

Also, why would it matter if like you say most of the work is done by machines?
Old 10-20-2010, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by jeff968
Have you owned one? Where do you get the information to make these statements? I purchased and owned an Alabama built MB ML for 9 years. It was a great vehicle. I would agree that there were some design issues with it but as far as quality of materials, they were excellent. The ML held together very well and drove almost as good as new when we sold it. I even sold it for $9K to the first family that looked at it. Not bad for a 140K mile used vehicle. We paid $37K for it in 2002.
You must have the luck of an Irish leprechaun when it comes to owning German cars, because the 2002 MB ML is a piece of shiz
Old 10-20-2010, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by The G Man
You must have the luck of an Irish leprechaun when it comes to owning German cars, because the 2002 MB ML is a piece of shiz
02 was the first year of the ML redesign. Fantastic vehicle. As for junk, look into Acura MDXs. My Bro has had all kinds of trouble with his and is on his third transmission. Apparently this is a common issue as they keep the trannys in stock at the dealer.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Wel he wasn't the only one. Our ML was flawless. The German built SLK 320 on the other hand was a pos. I swear it came off the line on a Friday afternoon after everyone had a several beers. It was so fubar'd they actually gave me my money back on the extended warranty. Stupid thing should have been lemoned but it was 2 days short for the 1 year period.

Quick Reply: Demand for 2.0TFSI