Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Did You Get Used To The Stupid Big Mirrors?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 08:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I initially thought they looked big. But not any longer. Plus, now, I like that they are big, especially driving in NYC, as they give good side views. Just have to adjust your seat properly and you'll be fine.

And they don't stick out that far if you consider how the sides of the Q5 curve outward and down from the windows.

And don't take things so seriously. It's only a car!
Old 09-01-2011, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love the big mirrors, i think they're great and help me park. you shouldn't have to use your mirror to judge when pulling up to a curb. i can see behind the car and my blind spots with those mirrors. yes they are big but you know what, they make you look more so you dont hit a ped or anything. i'll take a big mirror over a small mirror any day....
Old 09-01-2011, 09:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
I love the big mirrors, i think they're great and help me park. you shouldn't have to use your mirror to judge when pulling up to a curb. i can see behind the car and my blind spots with those mirrors. yes they are big but you know what, they make you look more so you dont hit a ped or anything. i'll take a big mirror over a small mirror any day....
I wasn't using the mirrors to pull up to a curb, I was trying to look out the drivers side window to get a sense of depth while I was in a slow right turn pulling up to a light in a left turn lane. The mirror housing blocked my view just enough for me to slightly misjudge the distance to the curb.

The issue isn't using the mirrors for what they are designed to do..see behind the vehicle..they're great for that..they're huge. The issue is that they are so damn big that the housing they are in blocks a substantial amount of view out the drivers side window.

I don't think struggling to see over or around a mirror is really an effective way of missing a pedestrian, car or kid on a bike.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Trident, I think you'll get used to them. I can only say that I have, and have had more trouble with the big A-pillar (visibility-wise) than the mirrors, though I will attest to them being a problem when coming uphill to an intersection. At a level intersection they are not at all a problem, and I am the same height as you.

It is another pro/con thing: the added rear/side visibility I will take over the adaptation to a larger wing size. Surely in NYC you experience the same cyclist dangers as I do (in cycle-mad Vancouver) where the mirrors have given me better peripheral visibility...though perhaps yet another way to inadvertently knock them over.

I have noticed a lot of complaints after a short ownership period from your corner, trident -- I'm not trying to be a critical douche, really -- and I think you need to spend some additional quality time with your vehicle. Give it a chance. It was a big adaptation for me moving from an A3 to the Q5. Almost as big moving from my Integra to the A3, and from a CJ7 before that. I have had the Q for exactly 5 months today. It's a very different vehicle than anything I have driven before, but I love it. Have I had to learn to love it? In a few minor ways, yes, but that goes for everything...generally, no.

I hope you settle into it. If not, get something else.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by cprg2011
I'm not trying to be a critical douche, really -- and I think you need to spend some additional quality time with your vehicle.
Not taken that way at all.

Yeah, I've had a number of things with the Q that have disappointed me to be honest. I've owned a number of brand new vehicles over the years and I must admit this is the first time I've had such a visceral reaction to a vehicle, so your assessment of my whining (my words not yours) I think is fair.

I must say though, most if not all my observations have been discussed on this forum quite a bit, so I don't feel it's like I have an unreasonable laundry list of concerns that only I have conjured up.

Anyway,thanks for the honest input on both counts, much appreciated.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tridentnyc
I've tried that but then my right foot is on an unnatural downward slant on the accelerator and my left arm no longer rests comfortably on the door armrest.

I'm not a tall guy but I'm not super short either at 5'8". I've never had this in any other car I've driven, what the hell was Audi thinking?
To jump on the 'bandwagon' here, and let me mention that I'm 5'4", my seat is NOT adjusted high (to ease my entry into my drivers seat) but are the side mirrors oversized - yes; are they sometimes an issue - yes; does it take time to adjust your perspective - yes ... but, as with most issues for the Q it's well again an adjustment, if your willing to give it some time and are open to wanting to learn to 'love' it you will.
OH and I drive into and around Boston often ... maybe another real city there?
Old 09-02-2011, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to chuckle at the dumbo mirror comment as THAT is really how they are referred to on our Ford Excursions to differentiate them from the LARGER Tow mirrors....

It's all a matter of perspective - The Q is a baby car compared to my Ex, so I have to adjust to the smallness of everything.... and DFW has a little traffic too...maybe more cars per capita than NYC given that EVERYONE has 2 or three cars

biggest issue is pulling up the get fuel....
I invariably drive too far as the Q is about 3 feet shorter than the Ex
Old 09-02-2011, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I wasn't using the mirrors to pull up to a curb, I was trying to look out the drivers side window to get a sense of depth while I was in a slow right turn pulling up to a light in a left turn lane. The mirror housing blocked my view just enough for me to slightly misjudge the distance to the curb.
The same thing happened to us, my wife almost hit a curb taking a right turn the 1st week she had the Q5 but she got use to it after a while. The mirror is very tall and when taking turns, you need to move around and look above and below the mirror.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone please tell me you hated them too but are now fine with them.
It should be easy to get used to them. I never had a problem with them but I've been driving large trucks and heavy equipment for years and depth perception is not an issue with me. My wife has never mentioned the large mirrors either...but then she's never been one to complain much about anything.

Last edited by HaveBullDogWillTravel; 09-02-2011 at 09:07 AM.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by loscoz
OH and I drive into and around Boston often ... maybe another real city there?
I dunno about that one. Seems to be no traffic laws and everyone drives like a nutter. I miss driving in SF though. The hills were a blast.

Peds and bikes are the worst to see with those huge mirrors. I'm still in the don't like camp. I can turn to look back to see if someone is coming up.

Last edited by hmn4858; 09-02-2011 at 09:10 AM.

Quick Reply: Did You Get Used To The Stupid Big Mirrors?