Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Didn't know the 8 spd was a slush box :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Americans seem to prefer the "slushbox" because of its smoothness -- as a result the idea of DSGs for the masses seems to be dying off in North America. Certainly in D the 8-speed automatic is a smooth shifter, in S-mode it's a bit rougher, but it's not going to feel like a DSG/manual, because that's simply not what it is.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Generally speaking the slush box is going to be the smoother option and probably only slightly less efficient than the DSG.
Not all of Coolieman1220's comments about the DSG are correct for the Q5 - changing between forward and reverse is lightning fast and creeping forward and reverse is not too bad but definitely not as smooth as a slushbox. Up changes are lightening fast and super smooth even at full stick but slowing down slowly for traffic lights is a bit jerky - especially so with the 3.0 diesel!

In all, I don't think anyone should be disappointed with the 8 speed slush box over the 7 speed DSG.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:55 AM
Cat Herder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by actoraine
I wonder if Audi uses the 8-speed slushbox on most of the models because of smoothness or cost.
mpg!

...and smoothness

anyway, APR the car. the tranny isn't what's holding it back.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CrustyNoodle
Generally speaking the slush box is going to be the smoother option and probably only slightly less efficient than the DSG.
Not all of Coolieman1220's comments about the DSG are correct for the Q5 - changing between forward and reverse is lightning fast and creeping forward and reverse is not too bad but definitely not as smooth as a slushbox. Up changes are lightening fast and super smooth even at full stick but slowing down slowly for traffic lights is a bit jerky - especially so with the 3.0 diesel!

In all, I don't think anyone should be disappointed with the 8 speed slush box over the 7 speed DSG.
is that so? I've only driven a jetta w/ DSG so not too credible there but yeah that sounds nice w/ your engine. wish we got that engine here...
Old 12-27-2010, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

the-oneil - you are correct that the 8spd was launched in the 2011 A8 and now in most of the line-up or soon to be. I know all 2.0T B8 chassis have moved to this and the upcoming A6/A7 will as well.

Audi uses the Multitronic name for it's CVT transmissions, Tiptronic for the reg auto and s-tronic for it's DSG.

I own a 6psd auto 2010 A4 and have had some decent seat time in a 2011 2.0T with the 8spd and came away liking it. It was quite smooth and wasn't as busy shifting gears as I thought it would be. Great highway gearing and fuel economy was better too.

Enjoy your Q5
Old 12-27-2010, 05:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DimaA6_ABC_Kiev
....it should be OK for clutches because they are in special oil on longitudial engines (dry on VW, but behavior is the same, maybe cluches life is shortened when abusing this mode).
I'm not sure where you're located but all VW DSG in North America use wet clutches. There are 7 spd dry clutch DSG in Europe for lower powere engines
Originally Posted by AQ4ever
...Once VW/Audi has perfected it...
I was looking for a DSG transmission but I am glad I ended up with manual in my VW. The DSG have a much higher rate of flywheel problems and unlike a manual, you can only buy VW's replacement part and not an aftermarket replacement. There have also been cut to neutral problems where the transmission goes into neutral by itself for a while before fixing itself. Sorry, but DSG technology has a while to go before I'd say it's even close to perfect. The main problem is that auto boxes are much more reliable at this point. And don't say it's a VW problem because most of these components are made at the same plant.

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
IMO those dual clutch trannys are weird and a lot of ppl who don't appreciate cars won't like them. They dont go right away when ur foot is off the brake. they sound like they're gonna stall when coming to a stop. They're a pain when parallel parking going reverse to drive and having it roll back and fourth slowly, every time you stop it disengages then you have to wait for it to re-engage. its like controlling a clutch pedal using the brake pedal.

Slushboxes are a lot more reliable and simple than dual clutches. Dual clutches can shift ridiculously fast but they require more maintenance and a new learning curve. Something Americans won't do. Besides most modern slushboxes can lock up in every gear these days so efficiency isn't that much better.
+1000