Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Disappointed with Bang & Olufsen - too quiet!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 04:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GolfGL
I remember reading somewhere that in the non-navigation (or pseudo-MMI) vehicles, the individual B&O amps are connected to the head-unit via an analog link vs. the full-MMI system which employs digital-links via the MOST-bus. Not sure if that accounts for what you are experiencing, although I would expect the sound to be slightly brighter/cleaner with the digital link not neccessarily louder.
Did you turn on the GALA PLUS/VNC? It's not only a speed-sensitive system but also an active-noise cancelling system which could alter your perception of volume by cutting out the unwanted sounds.

Personally, I love the B&O, and find the volume and clarity to be superb. I had Bose in both my A4s and I always regretted it. There was no mid-range and the bass was either on or off (common complaint with the Bose).
Also, 7.1 surround sounds amazing through the B&O!
Yeah but at $40USD/speaker I can still afford gas while playing my system louder...just saying lol.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadianQ5Premium
I'll be replacing the factory speakers in my Q5 with Bose as soon as I pick it up. If you want quality sound and juice to go with your speakers, Bose is the clear (no pun intended) choice.
I have not heard of Bose automobile speakers, but usually problem is amps not putting out enough power, not the speakers. It is vey difficult to find the same size speaker, with same impedance as original, and better efficiency (better efficiency=louder output)...you can of course try to install one of aftermarket sound processors and aftermarket amp. after that, last time I tried in LR2 it did not work well, had to remove everything
Old 01-28-2010, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by m1964
I have not heard of Bose automobile speakers, but usually problem is amps not putting out enough power, not the speakers. It is vey difficult to find the same size speaker, with same impedance as original, and better efficiency (better efficiency=louder output)...you can of course try to install one of aftermarket sound processors and aftermarket amp. after that, last time I tried in LR2 it did not work well, had to remove everything
I agree, unless you have really cheap speakers, changing them will not improve the sound too much. The amp and the digital sound processor is where one should look for improvement.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:55 AM
DrV
AudiWorld Senior Member

I find that the sound quality depends largely on the source, some iPod and SD card songs have poor quality and low volume, CD's seem crisp, clear and have excellent range and volume. It must be related to the type of file or how it was downloaded?
Old 01-28-2010, 05:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by m1964
As a professional sound engineer, the speakers play a huge part of the sound reproduction. I will be adding a new pre-amp and crossover as should anyone who is changing the speakers in their vehicle. However this post is pertaining to the B&O speakers and the lack of volume. Basically B&O are simply unable to handle high volumes (from personal experience), they are great at creating crisp concise mid to high ranges, but struggles with low ends. Ideally, this car should have used Naim for the amp and speakers, this would have allowed you to hear the best quality sound and still have the windows open.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yep haven't heard of aftermarket Bose speakers either... would be a PITA to retrofit since they are usually individually amped and are around 1 to 2ohms impedance.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by GolfGL
Yep haven't heard of aftermarket Bose speakers either... would be a PITA to retrofit since they are usually individually amped and are around 1 to 2ohms impedance.
A task I have done before...not really a PITA
Old 01-28-2010, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the heads-up...I'm considering ordering a Q5 and just assumed the B&O was going to be louder. I will stop back to the dealer and test both to be sure.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Awesome... let us know how it goes.

Originally Posted by CanadianQ5Premium
A task I have done before...not really a PITA
Old 01-29-2010, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by snowcat
Thanks for the heads-up...I'm considering ordering a Q5 and just assumed the B&O was going to be louder. I will stop back to the dealer and test both to be sure.
The base system is actually pretty good, the B&O is a bitter more power and clearer, but not by much. Depending on how much performance you want out of your stereo system, the base system is fine for most people.

Quick Reply: Disappointed with Bang & Olufsen - too quiet!