Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Disappointed with Bang & Olufsen - too quiet!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadianQ5Premium
A task I have done before...not really a PITA
Did you do it on a fiber optic system?

yes, it could be done, most likely you will need one or even two sound processors and at least 4 (maybe 6-8) channel amplification ( if you want also change subs), plus 8 aftermarket speakers ~200/pair (or more).

That is why I said above that for $800 B&O was a decent upgrade from basic system.

Good luck, if you do do it, please let us know how difficult is was.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is definitely a limiter on it. I swear when I tested it out at the dealership on a different Q5 it was loud and powerful... then when mine came in, it kept adjusting the sound to be quieter when a louder part of the song would start.

Here is the weird part. If you turn it up all the way, and then go to sound setting, and make adjustment, the volume will boost for a moment, then come back down. I would love to find a way to turn this off.

Also, as far as changing the input volume of the device, in the manual it says if you want control you have to have the 3.5mm adapter.

Another post someone found a way to raise the volume 6db with the VAG cable... might have to do that if there is no other fix.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a (now) three year old thread you revived

It gets MORE than loud enough for me and anyone within 20 yards ...

Maybe the staid germans didn't want a boombox on wheels as their standard bearer

or maybe it's to save the speakers in that the amp can overpower the speakers...
Old 02-05-2013, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

I agree with some of the comments here.

It is has plenty of clarity and volume. Not really happy with the limited bass and treble. Would like to get a litte more "boom" out of it without the screeching highs.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mikethephotog
There is definitely a limiter on it. I swear when I tested it out at the dealership on a different Q5 it was loud and powerful... then when mine came in, it kept adjusting the sound to be quieter when a louder part of the song would start.

Here is the weird part. If you turn it up all the way, and then go to sound setting, and make adjustment, the volume will boost for a moment, then come back down. I would love to find a way to turn this off.

Also, as far as changing the input volume of the device, in the manual it says if you want control you have to have the 3.5mm adapter.

Another post someone found a way to raise the volume 6db with the VAG cable... might have to do that if there is no other fix.
Are you sure that you have turned OFF the GLATAS (or whatever the hell it's called) mode? From what I can gather, and I didn't notice it in the manual, but I think it's one of those horrible speed-sensitive pieces of garbage. I noticed some weird volume "surging" in my wife's brand new Q with the B&O, and when I turned that feature OFF, it totally solved the problem.

I think the system sounds great. It's very clear, crisp, and I have no complaints about the bass or overall loudness. I'm a bit of a music enthusiast, and I use very neutral monitor speakers for my stereos around the house, and I appreciate the clean, uncolored sounds from the B&O in the Q. Nice job, Audi.