Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

DIY - Execuhitch Hitch install on 2013 Audi Q5

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by sudsaver
Can you tell comment on the impact of road salt on Execuhitch mechanism?
Everything still work perfectly after 3 Canadien winters.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pryme57
tgt,

Thanks for the information you provided on this thread. I purchased the hitch because I like the form factor and because you can hide it. I actually wanted to have someone install it for me but no one in my area does it (other than a U-HAUL), so after reading the instructions on the forum and your information I thought I would give it a shot.

It took me about 3-4 hours to do, I'm not a pro by any means but I know how to use a socket wrench. Here are my lessons learned:

1. I had the hardest time figuring out how to remove the chrome threshold plate based on the instructions. I ended up just prying the thing off on both ends and it popped right out, it was fine.

2. On my car ('14 SQ5), the nut on passenger side bolt by the fuse box was blocked by a fusebox, I had to remove one of the nuts (10mm) holding the fuse box housing and remove the fusebox, to get to the nut holding the fascia to the car. This wasn't in the instructions.

3. I couldn't figure out how to install the third bolt into the hitch beam. I noticed (after everything was taken apart) that I was missing some screws and washers in the packaging (my lesson learned here is to check to make sure everything is in the package before you start...). I ended up just installing the hitch beam with the original bolts, I'm only using this for a bike rack so I think I would be OK but I'm going to reach out to invisihitch anyway. The instructions were pretty poor in this area. If I have to add a third bolt on each side it would be a while before I take this all apart again.

I do have the driver assist so I was careful to remove and put back the fascia. Took it out for a test drive to see if it still worked. It doesn't seem to be as consistent but then again, I never really paid any attention to it before to see if I had that issue before. Not sure how to test other than driving it around on the freeway or multi-lane roads.

Hope that helps someone else and thanks again!
Got a (quick) response back from Invisihitch, the third bolt one each side increases towing capacity from 4400 lbs to 5300 lbs. For a hauling a bike rack this is more than enough.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Good Protection

Originally Posted by bhiggins80@gmail.com
Hi, I went the OEM route and actually did the coding this evening.
So I'm a little late to this party but have a couple of quick questions. One, OEM means dealer part so you did not purchase the Intellihitch?

Second, what do you use to do the coding? I've never done this sort of thing before and the ODB system looks inexpensive and easy.

Thanks,
Michael
Old 07-25-2017, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mgolub55
So I'm a little late to this party but have a couple of quick questions. One, OEM means dealer part so you did not purchase the Intellihitch?

Second, what do you use to do the coding? I've never done this sort of thing before and the ODB system looks inexpensive and easy.

Thanks,
Michael
Hi Michael, I bough an Audi (OEM) hitch from GermanOEM.ca which I installed myself. I then used a friend's Ross-Tech cable to do the coding myself. At the end of the day, I did it for about half of what the Dealer was charging. That said, it did take me 3 hours or so...but I enjoy this sort of thing.

Good luck,

Brian
Old 07-25-2017, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks Brian. I like the hidden look of the Intellihitch but I'm not mechanical in any way so would have to have either option installed. Do I need to buy the coding tools? Maybe, there are a few other things I want to change on the car. But would that include the hitch settings and the wiring harness? Don't know. Guess I need to think on this a bit more.

Michael
Old 07-25-2017, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks Brian. I like the hidden look of the Intellihitch but I'm not mechanical in any way so would have to have either option installed. Do I need to buy the coding tools? Maybe, there are a few other things I want to change on the car. But would that include the hitch settings and the wiring harness? Don't know. Guess I need to think on this a bit more.

Michael
Hi Michael, with respect to the 'hidden look' of Intellihitch, you'd have to look on your bumper to see if you have a removable panel on the lower fascia. If not, you'd have to cut the hole (as I did) which in my opinion negates the main benefit of the 'hidden hitch'. You can also call the people at Intellihitch and they can tell you if they recommend their product given your year/model. If you're in the States they can also recommend an installer.

If you want to tow a trailer you need either the Audi wiring harness and control module or to buy an aftermarket harness which you would have to splice into the tail lights. If you don't have a Ross-Tech cable, the Dealer will do the coding for 1 hour labour (of the OEM harness and control module).

If you don't want to tow anything (Ie bike rack), you just need the hitch.

Brian
Old 07-25-2017, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Once again, my thanks. I do want to tow but not often. I believe there is a panel that can be removed, at least it looks that way, but not sure so will have to investigate. Already talked with Intellihitch and have compatibility. I am in US (CA) and they've located an installer. So if I go with their product it's $619 for their parts which looks like it includes the controller. Then I need to get the Ross-Tech cable (and doesn't that need to connect to something? All in all, close to the $800 the for the Audi parts. I'm assuming installation is about the same price.

Michael
Old 07-25-2017, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Once again, my thanks. I do want to tow but not often. I believe there is a panel that can be removed, at least it looks that way, but not sure so will have to investigate. Already talked with Intellihitch and have compatibility. I am in US (CA) and they've located an installer. So if I go with their product it's $619 for their parts which looks like it includes the controller. Then I need to get the Ross-Tech cable (and doesn't that need to connect to something? All in all, close to the $800 the for the Audi parts. I'm assuming installation is about the same price.

Michael
Hi Michael, I'd imagine their wiring splices into the tail lights (maybe call to confirm). If that is the case, no programming would be needed. However, if you go the Audi route, their controller + programming changes the way the car shifts and a few other things while a trailer is connected. Audi installation will be about $800 if I recall correctly.

Brian
Old 07-25-2017, 08:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bhiggins80@gmail.com
Hi Michael, I'd imagine their wiring splices into the tail lights (maybe call to confirm). If that is the case, no programming would be needed. However, if you go the Audi route, their controller + programming changes the way the car shifts and a few other things while a trailer is connected. Audi installation will be about $800 if I recall correctly.

Brian
I don't recommend splicing into the tail lights for a trailer. Too many gremlins come up and the dealer will not cover any issues caused by tapping the factory harness.

Grey
Old 07-26-2017, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I wouldn't either. Invisihitch has some come of control module but don't know if it (a) has all the features of the OEM or (b) can be programmed accordingly. Next stop will be dealer for pricing.

Quick Reply: DIY - Execuhitch Hitch install on 2013 Audi Q5