Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Do I need snow tires?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need snow tires?

I have a 2012 Q5 2.0 and reside in a suburb west of Boston (between 128 and 495). I was wondering if you guys think I need to purchase snow tires for the winter. I personally have never owned snow tires, but the wife is driving the Q5 and takes the kids to school/daycare everyday. It would give me peace of mind knowing she's safer, but are they really necessary? We also take the car to the Poconos in PA frequently to visit my parents. Opinions please?
Old 11-13-2012, 10:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm living in Toronto area and I think Boston is similar to here.
I've never had winter tires but my wife has had them and told me they're a lot better on snow and icy road. AWD Q5 with winter tires are the best for safety in winter.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 388 Likes on 349 Posts
Default Just the facts:

Originally Posted by Parsec
. Opinions please?
parsec, welcome aboard! Can you think back two winters ago?
Old 11-13-2012, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you can drive the Q w/o winters and it drives well. it'll go through deep snow well. however you won't be able to stop and turning gets tricky (although the traction control takes care of that real well)

i have winters on my BMW rear wheel drive. Through deep snow it's not as stable but it feels soooo nice to be able to stop and turn. I have winters because my other tires are summers.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
parsec, welcome aboard! Can you think back two winters ago?
Unfortunately we remember that winter all too well. That's the year my wife tried to stop at a stop sign in her Honda CR-V, but instead she slid right through the intersection across a major road. Thank God there were no cars coming in either direction. We decided to buy her an Audi partly due to that experience.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Parsec
Unfortunately we remember that winter all too well. That's the year my wife tried to stop at a stop sign in her Honda CR-V, but instead she slid right through the intersection across a major road. Thank God there were no cars coming in either direction. We decided to buy her an Audi partly due to that experience.
Your intersection experience was a function of the rubber, not the CR-V. Not saying that you would have definitely stopped with snow tires, but you would have had a better chance.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you will be fine, im in boston as well. i ran all season tires on my old car going 45+ in a snow storm.(front wheel drive too, suspensions dropped) Imagine the Q5 AWD system. just dont slam on the brakes. Drive with caution and safely.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Absolutely. Small price to pay for peace of mind. What's more important than your family's safety?
Old 11-13-2012, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 213 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by HotRodW
Absolutely. Small price to pay for peace of mind. What's more important than your family's safety?
And save summer tire wear and no salt damage to summer wheels.
Winter tires have better traction for stopping on cold dry pavement also.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Bite the bullet and get a set of snow tires and winter rims from Tire Rack or a place like that. Your summer tires will last a lot longer. Plus,it gives you an opportunity to give your rims a thurough cleaning. You hust need to find a corner in your garage to store a stack of tires. I have 3 stacks....no more please.

Quick Reply: Do I need snow tires?