Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Do the seats break in over time?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 07:08 PM
ASO
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do the seats break in over time?

I test drove a 2016 Q5 today and absolutely loved everything except the seats (I drove both standard and sport) were so firm they bordered on uncomfortable. Hard to know if this is something that will always annoy me or I'll just get used to it over time. Curious if anyone out there feels like the seats break in a bit over time or if they remain on the stiff side? Thanks!
Old 05-07-2016, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Have you tried the comfort seats? You would need a 3.0 though. The seats really don't break in.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:28 PM
ASO
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
Have you tried the comfort seats? You would need a 3.0 though. The seats really don't break in.
I did not try the comfort, are those the ventilated seats? Is there a noticeable difference? Thanks again.

On a side note, I test drove both 2.0 and 3.0...wow the 3.0 can move...
Old 05-07-2016, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by ASO
I did not try the comfort, are those the ventilated seats? Is there a noticeable difference? Thanks again.

On a side note, I test drove both 2.0 and 3.0...wow the 3.0 can move...
The comfort seats are the ventilated ones and are a little more plush IMO and also gets you additional leather on the doors and on the dash. I'm not the best person to ask about seat comfort though because I prefer harder seats (as long as the shape is good).
Old 05-07-2016, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

I considered the sport seats but settled on the regular seats in my 2016 Q5 2.0T. The sport seats were much less comfortable for me (too hard). If you think the Q5 seats are too hard you should try the Mercedes GLC or BMW X3 by comparison. The Q5 seats will feel great after sitting in either one of those for a while!
Old 05-07-2016, 11:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jpnwdc
I considered the sport seats but settled on the regular seats in my 2016 Q5 2.0T. The sport seats were much less comfortable for me (too hard). If you think the Q5 seats are too hard you should try the Mercedes GLC or BMW X3 by comparison. The Q5 seats will feel great after sitting in either one of those for a while!
We are elderly Q5 owners and find the seats as comfy as any we've had in our numerous cars.
Old 05-07-2016, 11:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by enjens
We are elderly Q5 owners and find the seats as comfy as any we've had in our numerous cars.
And we often do 6 to 8 hour trips
Old 05-08-2016, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love the Sport seats. Very supportive in all the right places. The comfort seats are nice but I can't see them holding you very well in any spirited driving. You'd just slide around.

And yes, the 3.0T can move. Also the 3.0 can come with an adaptive suspension so the ride can be tailored to your liking. Effectively softening the seats. (kinda)
Old 05-08-2016, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ASO
I test drove a 2016 Q5 today and absolutely loved everything except the seats (I drove both standard and sport) were so firm they bordered on uncomfortable. Hard to know if this is something that will always annoy me or I'll just get used to it over time. Curious if anyone out there feels like the seats break in a bit over time or if they remain on the stiff side? Thanks!
It's good that you identified a possible issue with the seats before buying. If I were you I wouldn't bank on hoping you'd adapt to them over time. It's best to feel good about your choice in this area. Seat comfort is so subjective, each buyer/driver has different opinion of seat comfort.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

They don't break in over time. On a side note I've got the standard seats and totally love them!

Quick Reply: Do the seats break in over time?