Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Do you use your manual shift?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 07:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you use your manual shift?

My Q5 is automatic transmission (not sure about other countries)with manual shift program (pushing the selector to the right of D).

I have not used it since I got the car and was wondering if your guys use this often. If so does it work well?. How often do you use it?
Old 02-19-2010, 07:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

have used the paddle shifts for driving in snow and ice to slow the vehicle down and they work well,apart from that cant really see the point as i bought the auto box to save having to change gear.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:01 AM
DrV
AudiWorld Senior Member

I use it occasionally, just for fun really. I find the "S" position on the transmission just as much fun! Just not often I can use it like I want to
Old 02-19-2010, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use it sometimes on cold mornings. when I start off on such mornings, the engine revs higher in first gear than normal. I use the manual shift to get into 2d gear earlier than the auto program.

Once the engine is warm, no more need to do it.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by maQ5
My Q5 is automatic transmission (not sure about other countries)with manual shift program (pushing the selector to the right of D).

I have not used it since I got the car and was wondering if your guys use this often. If so does it work well?. How often do you use it?
I've had the same feature on numerous cars and I find the Audi's shifting to be unnecessarily abrupt(fast). I do like that it shifts all the way to 1st gear when coming to complete stop. BMW and MINI both downshift only as low as 2nd gear. The gate is set up opposite from BMW & MINI too(back for upshifts and forward for downshifts)...which makes for confusing shifts at times. Basically...I tried it and didn't like it that much so I don't bother with it anymore
Old 02-19-2010, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by edwyun
I use it sometimes on cold mornings. when I start off on such mornings, the engine revs higher in first gear than normal. I use the manual shift to get into 2d gear earlier than the auto program.

Once the engine is warm, no more need to do it.
The same thing happens to mine...I would assume it would shift earlier while in Auto to keep from damaging the transmission...
Old 02-19-2010, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by onemax03
The same thing happens to mine...I would assume it would shift earlier while in Auto to keep from damaging the transmission...
When the transmission oil is cold and more viscous it prolongs shift points on most automatics.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use it once a while, mostly on downhills to shift down to use engine brake.

Mostly on D though...
Old 02-19-2010, 09:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by yob2kanobe
When the transmission oil is cold and more viscous it prolongs shift points on most automatics.
Is that by design? Or is it just because the tranmission oil is cold and more viscous.

Would it hurt the car if I manual shift it while the tranmission oil is cold?
Old 02-19-2010, 10:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default SMG Shifts to 1st

Originally Posted by HaveBullDogWillTravel
I've had the same feature on numerous cars and I find the Audi's shifting to be unnecessarily abrupt(fast). I do like that it shifts all the way to 1st gear when coming to complete stop. BMW and MINI both downshift only as low as 2nd gear. The gate is set up opposite from BMW & MINI too(back for upshifts and forward for downshifts)...which makes for confusing shifts at times. Basically...I tried it and didn't like it that much so I don't bother with it anymore
Not true, at least in my BMW. I have a 2006 M5 with SMG and it definitely downshifts to 1st at a complete stop. In fact, it downshifts to 1st at probably 2mph or so, a little before a complete stop. My Q5 is about a month away from delivery; I expect to really miss SMG, as there is nothing quite like coming in hot to a corner and then flicking the left paddle a couple times so that the transmission rev matches perfectly so that you can power out of the corner so smooth it takes some getting used to. SMG is clunky at low speed though, no doubt about that.

Last edited by refthimos; 02-19-2010 at 10:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Do you use your manual shift?