Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Do you use your manual shift?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by edwyun
I use it sometimes on cold mornings. when I start off on such mornings, the engine revs higher in first gear than normal. I use the manual shift to get into 2d gear earlier than the auto program.

Once the engine is warm, no more need to do it.
All new cars are like that, it revs higher so the engine will warm up faster and run more efficiently after that.

I use manual once or twice, but I find the sport mode much quicker acceleration wise.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by maQ5
Is that by design? Or is it just because the tranmission oil is cold and more viscous.

Would it hurt the car if I manual shift it while the tranmission oil is cold?
Its just because its cold, It probably really doesnt hurt it either way,, its just un-nerving to me to tach out an engine thats so cold.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Not sure about you, but I don't use it often because of un-natural position of +/- shifts. For me, it is un-natural to push to front to up one gear and pull back to reduce.

All previous car that I drove with manual shift had +/- exchanged.

Regards,
JPF.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by refthimos
Not true
It true of the BMW steptronics...which is the tranny that most closely compares to the auto in the U.S. Q5
Old 02-19-2010, 12:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Joao Paulo Figueiredo
Not sure about you, but I don't use it often because of un-natural position of +/- shifts. For me, it is un-natural to push to front to up one gear and pull back to reduce.

All previous car that I drove with manual shift had +/- exchanged.

Regards,
JPF.
Same for me. It's opposite of what I'm used to from my BMW which I still drive.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by The G Man
All new cars are like that, it revs higher so the engine will warm up faster and run more efficiently after that.

I use manual once or twice, but I find the sport mode much quicker acceleration wise.
Old cars like that too...but was due to cold tranny fluid. Not sure about shift points purposely delayed in order to accelerate warm up.
I've also noticed that the throttle mapping seems more sensitive when the gear selector is in Sport mode...might be my imagination
Old 02-19-2010, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i use mine when driving on hills and its reving to 3k rpm. i don't need to waste gas and accelerate up the hill i can go steady. or if i want to put it into another gear. its great on the highway for passing power. pop it into 4th or 3rd and just take off like a rocket!
Old 02-20-2010, 03:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by kleinbus
I use it once a while, mostly on downhills to shift down to use engine brake.

Mostly on D though...
I love the ability to manual shift but haven't quite gotten the hang of it on this transmission yet. Typically use it for the same reasons, such as engine braking down hill or when exiting the freeway. I find that in manual mode the car is invariably in M6 and M6-M3 offers no perceptible engine braking from 60mph-35mph (approx). M3-M2 offers the most, but it just revs up to 5K and only slows down some - feels unnatural. Any tips? Or should I just get a stick and forget about this? We used to have an Acura TL which had a much better engine braking capability in manual mode, but was nowhere near as much fun to drive.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SAAdFlyer
I love the ability to manual shift but haven't quite gotten the hang of it on this transmission yet. Typically use it for the same reasons, such as engine braking down hill or when exiting the freeway. I find that in manual mode the car is invariably in M6 and M6-M3 offers no perceptible engine braking from 60mph-35mph (approx). M3-M2 offers the most, but it just revs up to 5K and only slows down some - feels unnatural. Any tips? Or should I just get a stick and forget about this? We used to have an Acura TL which had a much better engine braking capability in manual mode, but was nowhere near as much fun to drive.
im thinking its because of rev match down shifting. makes it quicker and smoother but doesn't do as much for braking, you don't get taht pull feeling. am i right? my G35 doesn't have rev match and thats how it feels
Old 02-20-2010, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Our Jetta doesn't rev match and I get pretty same slowing characteristics.

Q seems to be sensitive to rpms that makes the difference and how computer controls the transmission as first it almost seems to be free rolling with slight drag and during next down shift it seems to lock the converter and get more slowing power.

Quick Reply: Do you use your manual shift?