Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Does anyone regret getting Meteor Gray?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone regret getting Meteor Gray?

I am trying to make a final decision on the Q5, and it looks like the only vehicle that has all the options that I want would be a Meteor Gray one that is coming in.

I have not really seen this color on the Q5 in the street yet. I have searched for lots of photos on the internet (including the great ones on this forum - thank you!). Truthfully, this color depends so much on the ambient condition that some photos look absolutely fantastic, while others look scary.... the scary ones basically look like a very flat, dull and drab bluish/teal/gray color.

For those of you who have the meteor gray, do you have any regret? Bearing in mind that I live in an area that is often overcast, will it look drab and dull all the time?

Sorry for obsessing over it... but I guess I can't be the only one going through this phase!!! :-)

Thanks everyone and happy holidays!
Old 12-24-2009, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

only other color i'd get is the red! i love my meteor grey. i love the color changing ability!
Old 12-24-2009, 06:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I agree with you, IMO this color would look better if it was a true metallic, not Audi's "pearl coat".
Clean and shiny it can look decent, dirty and dull it looks real drab!
Old 12-25-2009, 12:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

absolutely no regret, the Q5 looks great in that color, probably because of the many curves that produce a variety of shades
on a A4 Meteore seemed a bit sad to me
it is also an unusual choice, and it combines very good with the contrasting color option and light interiors
maybe I would not have selected Meteore on catalogue, but when you have seen it irl, you are convinced
everyone who sees my car compliments the color choice...
Old 12-25-2009, 12:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by x330i
I agree with you, IMO this color would look better if it was a true metallic, not Audi's "pearl coat".
Clean and shiny it can look decent, dirty and dull it looks real drab!
my opinion is that Meteore resists fairly good to dirt : the only (common) negative point is that the doors spoil more rapidly than the other parts, even the tailgate
Old 12-25-2009, 01:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

I can only speak from seeing Meteor Grey daily on a TTS, this is a color that truly shimmers and sparkles on sunny days, or under light, but grey and overcast can make you wonder if it is the same vehicle,,, still attractive but kind of a dull, dark bluish-grey tone, On a TT it works, not too sure about day-to-day with a larger palette like the Q5, it might just be depressing. However if you are getting the 5-spoke rims they may (and probably would) have enough visual "pop" to make Meteor Grey work VERY well on the Q5. The standard rims just haven't got enough punch to keep you out of drabsville.
That's only my opinion. Whatever you choose it is a great choice of vehicle. If unsure and not in a hurry have the dealer order you a Q5 to your specs, in your choice of color, because ultimately it will be you who has to live with it everyday for the next few years.
Happy Holidays!
Old 12-25-2009, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default meteor gray

very pleased with it on TT coupe....I love black but too hard to keep properly clean where I live....the gray is a good all around balance and the color varies so much depending on lighting and surroundings. A unique color that should wear well with time
Old 12-25-2009, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Same issue you have. I am seriously going to consider the Quartz Grey
Old 12-25-2009, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Isn't it hard!?

Originally Posted by Kozmo
Same issue you have. I am seriously going to consider the Quartz Grey
Thanks everyone for your input!

Around here, everyone is ordering a white or black Q5. Red is virtually impossible to get here and it's not my top choice anyway. Quartz Gray and Silver are both very nice and safe choices, and I have seen them in person, but they are both quite common around here too. DSB is beautiful but too high maintenance. That's why I am left with meteor gray....

I wish that we had that nice Stratus Blue Pearl or Lava Gray that are available for the Q5 in Canada here in the US!

Maybe I will just take a chance and go for it!? I absolutely agree with the other poster that the 5 spoke rims will probably make it "pop" because the standard ones do not really shine enough for this color.

Thanks again! Keep your opinions coming :-)
Old 12-25-2009, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Quartz Grey (I know it's not meteor) and Lava the two colors I had been considering (I am in Canada). I decided on the Lava and every week I stop by the dealership to look at the color of mine that will be coming in April. I remember reading somewhere that you can custom order an Audi in any color Audi has ever made a car in (I beleive it was an extra $3,000 and if memory serves it was on this forum?!?). I am not the Audi authority and have not confirmed this with my dealer so if this is a viable route and the color is a true sticking point for you, ask your salesman and see if the Lava is an option in the USA for the added cost. It would defenitely be unique!

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Does anyone regret getting Meteor Gray?