Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Does the factory tint provide UV protection?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does the factory tint provide UV protection?

Does the factory tint provide UV protection, or does it just cut down on visible light transmission? Trying to figure out if I need to get film on all windows or just the front two.
The following users liked this post:
npgrass (08-16-2021)
Old 08-07-2009, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to know this as well.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default My guess is factory glass blocks UV rays because..

..I have a pair of transition glasses with photochromic lens that change from light to dark when exposed to ultraviolet light, and there is no darkening when inside the Q5. So my guess is the factory tint provides UV protection. But I would like to hear from someone who could answer with more than my guess.

Last edited by Loophole; 08-07-2009 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-22-2009, 02:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Is there any updates to this question?
Old 08-22-2009, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

I submitted this question to Audi of America and they sent me an email requesting my VIN. Why, I don't know. Rather, I'm sure it's so they can make sure I am satisfied with my purchase, but I really just want the information. I will update when (if) I find out.
Old 08-22-2009, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AudiCO
Does the factory tint provide UV protection, or does it just cut down on visible light transmission? Trying to figure out if I need to get film on all windows or just the front two.
Glass provides natural UV protection. That why transition glasses do not work inside a car. Window tint is for light reduction.
Old 08-23-2009, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Most auto glass have UV protection, look for a UV stamp on the Audi glass next to the logo.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DMitchell
Glass provides natural UV protection. That why transition glasses do not work inside a car. Window tint is for light reduction.
Glass, unfortunately, does not provide adequate protection against UV radiation. The reason transition lenses do not function in a car is because they react to light in the UVB range, which most types of glass do absorb. However, typical automotive glass does not have much of an effect on decreasing the amount of UVA transmission, and it is this range of radiation that is responsible for accelerated photoaging in addition to elevated levels of retained heat.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by The G Man
Most auto glass have UV protection, look for a UV stamp on the Audi glass next to the logo.
No sign of a UV label on any of the Audi glass in the Q5. If I can't find out from Audi, I'll probably try to get my hands on a UV photometer.

Yes, I suppose if I care enough to go to that extent then I might as well just tint the whole vehicle, but I'd still really like to know. And I'm sure many others would like to know as well.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

I finally received a decent response from Audi the other day regarding my request for some specs on the factory privacy glass in the Q5. Basically, all Q5 glass (except windshield) allows 1% UV transmission and 60% "transmission energy" (whatever that means). My interpretation is that the privacy glass has the same characteristics as the normal glass found in the front windows except that there is less visible light transmission (VLT). Sounds like the pertinent thing to do would be to get film on all windows and sunroof if my goal is to reduce heat accumulation.

I've received several bids on tinting the whole car including sunroof (sans windshield) and they are all over the board:

Huper Optik $800+ (aka arm and leg)
Madico Wincos $500 (same place that's doing my clear bra)
3M Crystalline $480
Llumar or Suntek $225 (metalized)

Any opinions on these films? I know the HO is supposed to be the best, but 800? Is that guy out of his mind? I wish I knew of another dealer in my area.

Have there been any issues with metalized film in the Q5 or Q7 (full application)?

Quick Reply: Does the factory tint provide UV protection?