Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Does your 2.0T sound like mine? Trying to troubleshoot

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 08:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does your 2.0T sound like mine? Trying to troubleshoot

Hi AudiWold,

I believe that my Q5 is running rough during a cold start but my dealer is trying to convince me that it is perfectly normal. Can you tell me if your Q5 2.0T idles like mine when cold? I have uploaded youtube videos of the exhaust note and interior vibration while idling.

These videos are taken with the idle at 800rpm and in "D" with the foot on the brake. Thanks for the help!

https://youtu.be/L0OhCaBlacE
https://youtu.be/PEih7w16ye8
Old 01-03-2019, 01:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts

Did you have it scanned? It could be many things, 2.0T sound like crap when idling, specially on the first start so it does not impress me

Mine ('09 2.0T 60K miles) sounds a bit rough for 2 minutes on the first start (cold engine) and idles at 1200 RPM, after those 2 minutes it drops to a nice 800 RPM with the AC on, or 760 RPM with no AC, no roughness though. However mine used to sound like yours before new engine mounts and specially before my intake manifold was replaced (common TSFI failure), I also put a new set of coilpacks and spark plugs on it. But again, you should have your car scanned before start trying anything.

Good luck!
Old 01-03-2019, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

@uncleiggy

Thank you for the reply. My car scans with zero codes. I just bought the used car and the factory warranty ends in 800kms and I'm trying to get the dealer to fix the poor cold start idle and vibration when I'm at stop lights. They don't seem so keen since there are no CEL/codes.

I'm pretty unimpressed because the car felt so smooth when I test drove it (warmed up). My Toyotas idle better than this car.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Again, VAG 2.0T engines are not the best at idling, specially on cold starts. Does the car perform fine after warm up? What about in stop & go situations, does it idle rough as well? Do you know when was the last time coilpacks/spark plugs where serviced?
Old 01-03-2019, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

That is reassuring to know at least I didn't buy a lemon. It smoothes out a bit when it is warmed up depending on how cold it is outside. I am definately not used to the vibration coming from a VR6.

Plugs were done at 55k km and coils have never been replaces. I am at 79200 kms now. Thank you uncleiggy!
Old 01-03-2019, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Still, I'd have them check the intake manifold, mine went out at 90K km without warning causing a lot of shaking and vibrations, once replaced my idling improved a lot. BTW, where are you from and what year is you car?
Old 01-03-2019, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 231 Likes on 195 Posts

Could be carbon buildup. Engines with carbon will run lousy until the carbon saturates with fuel. The pre-2014, engines were more prone to carbon buildup.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
Could be carbon buildup. Engines with carbon will run lousy until the carbon saturates with fuel. The pre-2014, engines were more prone to carbon buildup.
You right, I didn't mention this because of the low km on OP's car, I had mine inspected when they replaced the intake manifold and valves were clean with minimal carbon deposits. But yes, another thing to check with the dealer before warranty expires.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

projek-
Rashly assuming you are in the US (since you don't say where you are or what year the car is) I would say to email your national Audi office (i.e. Audi of America, Audi Canada, etc.) TODAY with a read receipt on the email, to put them on notice that the car has a problem while it is still under warranty. Then, they are still responsible for it even if the warranty mileage/date runs past.

Follow this up with a paper mail (certified return receipt or similar) confirming their response or noting their failure to respond, and restating the issue. Depending on where you are and what develops, this may be necessary to prove you filed complaint under the warranty. You should have a copy of the completed work order from the dealership that states the complaint and the dealer's response of "this is normal, no problem found, no codes found". If the dealer just listened to the car and gave you nothing further--they may be trying to duck out of it. Make sure it is formally logged in as a warranty complaint at a dealership.

Is it normal...that can be hard to say, I can't easily get to youtube from this browser. But a "rough" idle can mean so many things, why take a chance? Get it formally documented and started as a warranty claim, and then you can take your time afterwards exploring whether this is normal or correctable.

Follow the specific and formal process that is required in wherever you live and bought the car.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Wow thanks for the awesome replies!

​​​​​Sorry, I own a 2015 model and live in Calgary, Canada. I also forgot to mention that the engine mounts also look very clean when I checked.

The car was just dropped off at the other dealership and my complaints have been put on the work order. I will follow the suggested complaint/warranty process if they don't fix anything.

Thanks and happy 2019 everyone!!

Quick Reply: Does your 2.0T sound like mine? Trying to troubleshoot