Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Does your transmission jerk when coming to a stop?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 01:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does your transmission jerk when coming to a stop?

So i have 200 miles on my 2010 Q5 and everytime i come to a slow stop i can feel my transmission downshifting...its very jerky and i can never stop smoothly when coming to a slow stop. I talked to an audi dealer and they said that is normal for that car to that. Are you guys experiencing the same thing?
Old 08-27-2009, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm experiencing the same thing. My 2010 Q5 has 300 miles. When coming to a slow stop, at 5 mph the transmission shifts down, and the shift is very jerky. I also get a rather jerky upshift when accelerating slowly from a complete stop. The upshift is not as jerky as the downshift, though.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine did it in the beginning but hasn't done it in quite some time. Give it more time. It's still learning your driving habits. It will all even out.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mine does it too but sometmes i notice it other times i don't. what i hate about my q5 is that under 20mph it doens't upshift to let me coast. going down hills it keeprs in gear instead of upshifting to let me roll down the hill. i just pop it into neutral at that point
Old 08-27-2009, 10:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Are 2010 US-models equipped with the new S-tronic(7 speeds) box or with the older auto-6 speeds ?
On an S-tronic (double clutch), this is normal as the car automatically shifts trough every speed, up and down (some double-clutch autoboxes even simulate manual downshift)
Old 08-28-2009, 02:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by FitzLA
Mine did it in the beginning but hasn't done it in quite some time. Give it more time. It's still learning your driving habits. It will all even out.
Agreed- at about 500 miles I noticed the tranny had smoothed out considerably. Hang in there until then and see what happens
Old 08-28-2009, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The 1st to 2nd gear shifting is rough when new and it does smooth out a bit, but you can still feel it after the break in period.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Wow, I came to the forum today to post the same question. I have ~500 miles and the jerkiness has not smoothed out.

Are you sure it does smooth out, or is it that you got used to it? I was ready to take it in to the dealer for inspection.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The Q5 shifts early into higher gears to save gas. If you watch your gear indicator, you will be in 4+ gear before you know it. If you don't come to a complete stop and let the transmission shift down to first, it will jerk as it tries to find the right gear. My Range Rover (six-speed automatic) also did the same thing.

It does get better with time because the transmission will learn your behavior up to a point.

But, for those of you practicing the California roll stop method, you probably will have to learn to live with it. The trick is to either come to a complete stop long enough for the transmission to downshift to first or use sport mode where the shifting RPM ranges are increased.

After 2500+ miles, I rarely have any jerkiness in the shifting. The only time I do is when I perform a rolling stop and the transmission wants to downshift and I want to accelerate.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MCNIERNEYC
The Q5 shifts early into higher gears to save gas. If you watch your gear indicator, you will be in 4+ gear before you know it.
i disagree, seems like it holds gears 2,3 and 4 for too long at low speeds when i'm trying to coast.

Quick Reply: Does your transmission jerk when coming to a stop?