Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Drive System Malfunction in 2019 Q5

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2023, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive System Malfunction in 2019 Q5

Hello All,

I’ve got a 2019 Audi Q5 that I’ve had for about 6 months and it has been driving perfectly up until a few days ago when I took it in for an oil change. I picked it up and drove 7 minutes from the dealership/shop to my gym where I sat in the parking lot on the phone leaving the car to idle for around 10 minutes. After that time, I get prompted with the “drive system malfunction” error. I do some quick google searched and most results say it’s nothing to worry about, so I disregard and let my car idle for a minute or so while I’m on the phone. Following that minute my car suddenly starts to shake, not aggressively, but still shaking and dies shortly after. Check engine light now on. The car does not start so I decide to have it towed. An hour and a half goes by and I try to start the car to move it into an area the tow truck can reach and it starts again.

i have the car towed back to the shop that performed the oil change and they state that the issue is unrelated to the work they performed and that the diagnostic code they are receiving is related to the fuel pump. They did not give me the actual code to verify on my end if what they were saying was the truth.

Later that day I decide to pick the car up and bring it home so at least I can decide what to do next. The car makes it 20 minutes from the dealership to the final turn before my home and the same “drive system malfunction” pops up and seconds later I lose all power and the engine dies. At this point I call Audi and book the soonest appointment I can which is two weeks away. Later that evening I go back to my car, start it, and get it home.

Today I decide to turn the car on and let it idle in the drive way to see if the issue still persists and sure enough after about 10 minutes of idling I get the same error and the car dies and refuses to start.

Has anyone ran into this issue before? I am extremely confused and can’t seem to find any related stories online anywhere. While I wait for Audi to take me in,
I hope someone would be able to help me out in this forum.

I am purchasing an Opd2 reader so I can verify the code the shop got.

The error I received before my car dies on all 3 occasions
Old 05-03-2023, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,743 Posts

MY19 is a B9 Q5 (aka Mk2 Q5), so you'll want to move this to that subforum. Yeah, that message alone is as useful as a red light being on. Until you have a scan tool, you'll have no actual idea of the specific issue. So someone else's "red light" might have nothing to do with your "red light".
The following users liked this post:
CFSCalex (05-03-2023)
Old 05-04-2023, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 107 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by CFSCalex
I am purchasing an Opd2 reader so I can verify the code the shop got.
You will likely need an Audi-specific OBD2 reader, like VCDS or OBDEleven, to get any useful information.