Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

drivers side blind spot

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2019, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by greasykid
Great. Are you old enough to join our Old Guys group?
What age does it start at?
The following users liked this post:
Schism75 (08-07-2022)
Old 12-14-2019, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

From what I see,so far,I have to say about 80.
Old 12-14-2019, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

From what I see,so far,I have to say about 80.
Well I'm not to 80 yet!
Old 12-14-2019, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Old Guys

Originally Posted by shokhead
Well I'm not to 80 yet!
You may be able to apply for a waver.
shokhead (12-15-2019)
Old 06-24-2020, 10:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the 2012 q5 and I am ready for a newer one. I was hoping to find out that the newer models don't have this blind spot problem, that's why I searched here. I honestly don't think I can purchase another one and continue to drive like this! Due to physical limitations I can't put my seat higher. To me it isn't a "blind spot ". It's literally a giant mirror completely blocking my vision at all times! It's scary as hell and I can't believe they haven't changed this horrible feature! I'm very disappointed.
Jennpina74 (08-07-2022)
Old 06-25-2020, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 213 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Kathleen Paquet
I have the 2012 q5 and I am ready for a newer one. I was hoping to find out that the newer models don't have this blind spot problem, that's why I searched here. I honestly don't think I can purchase another one and continue to drive like this! Due to physical limitations I can't put my seat higher. To me it isn't a "blind spot ". It's literally a giant mirror completely blocking my vision at all times! It's scary as hell and I can't believe they haven't changed this horrible feature! I'm very disappointed.
The best thing to do is drive the new one. But yes the mirrors are attached to the door sheet metal now (instead of the window level) and the visibility is better. My wife calls the mirrors Dumbos like the elephant. It is real bad in certain situations with traffic coming from the passenger side at certain intersections that stay lined up with the huge mirror. The only safe thing is to move your head front and back to see around the mirror and make sure no one is there. Kind of a pain. Terrific for towing though.
Old 06-25-2020, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Pretty much every car has a blind spot. Some very small and some a lot more. Been driving for a long time and never a problem. The blind spot monitoring systems on cars are a nice thing to have but it hasn't changed how I've been driving all these years.
Old 06-25-2020, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 231 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by shokhead
Pretty much every car has a blind spot. Some very small and some a lot more. Been driving for a long time and never a problem. The blind spot monitoring systems on cars are a nice thing to have but it hasn't changed how I've been driving all these years.
He's talking about the side mirrors blocking the front area side views. I agree with him, I almost hit a car coming up a side street that my passenger mirror blocked it out for more than a block. I was stopped at a stop sign, went to pull out and OUCH there was a car that I almost hit!!! I also need to work hard to see the cement road dividers when making a left turn on to another divided road.

I believe that the GEN 2 mirrors are smaller and repositioned that improves the "mirror" black out.

Last edited by Bob Petruska; 06-25-2020 at 05:43 PM.
Jennpina74 (08-07-2022)
Old 10-21-2020, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bingo!

I have raised my drivers seat. It's not a cure but it helps to look over the mirror.
Thank you for this answer. I'm currently researching CPO SQ5s in my area. I wanted nothing to do with 2017 and prior model years due to so many side mirror complaints. However, at 6'7" I was wondering if my height would overcome the blind spot. You raising your seat tells me that answer is YES! Time to include model years below 2018 in my search!
Old 10-21-2020, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Michele Greenberg
I have a 2019 Audi Q5. Been driving it for less than a month. Almost immediately I noticed a drivers side and right side huge blind spot which obstructs the view of cars directly beside me. I'm fearful of changing lanes without looking 3 times. Its dangerous. The car does have the side light signal to let the driver know that a car is beside you - but this just seems gimmicky, like a legal disclaimer in case Audi gets sued because of the blind spot issue. So sorry I purchased this car. Its one of those things you don't know until you start driving in local and highway traffic.
Quick question: how tall are you? I'm very tall and most likely won't have this problem. I'm VERY enamored with the SQ5 and don't see the side mirrors as much of a hindrance. Worst case scenario, I spend $300 on some new mirrors less obstructive

Quick Reply: drivers side blind spot