Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Dropped the Q5 off at CarMax yesterday and bid it goodbye.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rory breaker
The X1 is a blast to drive. The 2.0 has a ton of pep (more than Audi's) and the 35i is a screamer. It's a sedan that sits a little higher and has more cargo room. I'd take it over a 335i personally, it's excellent. As the other poster said its just priced a little awkwardly. As an entry level BMW it's an awesome option but when you start adding packages it quickly approaches well optioned X3 territory. But it's a different car - less comfort and luxury and more nimble quick fun zippy etc.
It's significantly less spacious inside than the 3 series and feels cramped. Cargo space is only marginally better (and much worse than the 3-series wagon). Exterior design...well, that personal, of course, but let's just say that I'm not a fan.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MonzaA5
It's significantly less spacious inside than the 3 series and feels cramped. Cargo space is only marginally better (and much worse than the 3-series wagon). Exterior design...well, that personal, of course, but let's just say that I'm not a fan.
If top of mind is cargo space, a spacious feel, etc, an Audi is probably a better fit. If you place an emphasis on fun factor, performance, and a connection to the road, 9x out of 10 BMW wins hands down, including the X1. If you value fun above all else, and you can only drive one car, guaranteed most would hop in the X1 35i and grin ear to ear. It's a fantastic compromise between a bit more space and a heck of a fun car to blast around in. Great car. My problem with it ultimately was when you option it out it approaches $50k, and at that point the X3 just became more attractive.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Anybody who has been lucky enough to drive both the X1 and the Q5 knows they are very different vehicles. Each has its own set of advantages and compromises. For those who value utility and comfort, the Q5 will definitely be more appealing. But if you prefer zippy performance with a dash of utility sprinkled in, the X1 is hard to beat ... and yes that includes the 3-Series. As BMW continues to water down their newer offerings, the X1 still maintains a lot of the "BMW-ness" that won over so many enthusiasts. Now if they'd just get rid of those rotten runflats!

Good luck, Bulldog. See you on Bimmerfest.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

If top of mind is cargo space, a spacious feel, etc, an Audi is probably a better fit. If you place an emphasis on fun factor, performance, and a connection to the road, 9x out of 10 BMW wins hands down, including the X1.
You can certainly make that argument. However, I wasn't comparing the X1 to the Q5. What I said was that compared to BMW's own 3 series, it was less practical, less fun to drive, less attractive and only marginally cheaper. Which makes it a rather odd choice. The only reason I can see for picking an X1 over a 3 series X-drive is if you're actually one of the few people who need the extra ground clearance.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

You can certainly make that argument. However, I wasn't comparing the X1 to the Q5. What I said was that compared to BMW's own 3 series, it was less practical, less fun to drive, less attractive and only marginally cheaper. Which makes it a rather odd choice. The only reason I can see for picking an X1 over a 3 series X-drive is if you're actually one of the few people who need the extra ground clearance.
I just dont see how a car that's as fast, as nimble, and with more cargo space, can be less practical and less fun to drive than the 3 sedans/coupes. But to each their own. I have owned many BMW's (and similar cars) and spent significant seat time in the X1 (and the X3, Q5, etc) and even though I didnt buy it, I have to admit the X1 is one heck of a fun car, in either configuration. The N20 is just awesome, and the 35i is a total sleeper. Not really trying to prove anyone wrong as it's all opinion, more trying to support the OP's purchase by conveying my enthusiasm for an awesome car.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wanted a slightly smaller SUV with AWD and a reasonably large cargo area with the seats folded down. The performance is very close to the 3-series as is the roominess up front. I don't know how big you are but it certainly isn't "cramped" for me and I'm 6-1 and 190. Whether you found it less spacious had no bearing on my decision to buy what I deemed spacious enough...and it is.

The Q5 was my wife's Daily Driver and I drove a Golf. Since my wife's passing, I decided that my 13 yr old son and I needn't be a 2 car family. I sold both cars and bought 1 that suited US. I like it better than the Q5 AND the Golf...so does he. Win, win.

As long as it will carry a cargo box and pull my kayak trailer we'll make out just fine with it...and it does.

As far as performance goes, it's better than I ever expected. Steering is downright perfect. The engine pulls strong throughout the RPM range and has a great sound. The 8speed is a perfect match. The stereo is better than any Q5 or Golf. The iDrive is FAR superior to both.
The Runflats are off and Pilot Sport A/S are on. I'll use the Summer runflats in the summer until they are worn out and then replace with whatever I see fit at the time.

An equally optioned 328x1 Msport is $54,820. My X1 was $44,320. FWIW, I paid $300 over invoice and waited 6 weeks for its delivery. The wait was worth it.

"Exterior design...well, that personal, of course, but let's just say that I'm not a fan." Now this has me second-guessing everything.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Not really trying to prove anyone wrong as it's all opinion, more trying to support the OP's purchase by conveying my enthusiasm for an awesome car.
Several of Monza's points are just plain inaccurate. But with only 1 test drive and little or no research done(painfully obvious) it's easy to understand how he might come to the conclusions that he has conveyed. Sadly, he remains in the vast minority.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Looks great. I hope your family enjoys it! I considered the X1 before I got my Q5. I've always enjoyed BMW (used to drive X5.)
Old 12-24-2012, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I was next to an X1 at a traffic light this morning. It was a medium brown color. Very nice. I liked the stance. A sporty hunkered down look.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

HBDWT,

Very nice looking vehicle, I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Happy Holidays....norm

Quick Reply: Dropped the Q5 off at CarMax yesterday and bid it goodbye.