Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Electronic brake controller for trailer

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electronic brake controller for trailer

Hello everyone,

After 3 months of waiting, my Audi dealer just informed me that they received my new Q5. I can't wait to take it for a drive! But first the dealer has to install the factory hitch I ordered. I was concerned about the trailer connector they will install. They told me that it comes with the standard (in Canada anyway) 7 pin connector.

My question is regarding the electric brake. The dealer technician told my salesman that the factory hitch, altought it comes with the trailer module necessary for the ESP, doesn't provide the electric brake feed and that I will need to install an aftermarket electric brake controller. Does anyone here ever got an electric brake controller installed on their Q5? If so, is it a complicated task? Does it involves removing interior panels in order to had wires running to the back of the vehicle?

Thank you for your time.

Martin
Old 02-22-2010, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

You shouldn't need anything else, and you won't be hauling anything so heavy with that thing that you need full brake controller (like towing a track vehicle). We have one on order also with factory hitch option. Most boats now come with hydraulic brake controllers that work off the tongue of the trailer. I wouldn't tow much more than a sea doo with a Q5.

Originally Posted by MartinQ5
Hello everyone,

After 3 months of waiting, my Audi dealer just informed me that they received my new Q5. I can't wait to take it for a drive! But first the dealer has to install the factory hitch I ordered. I was concerned about the trailer connector they will install. They told me that it comes with the standard (in Canada anyway) 7 pin connector.

My question is regarding the electric brake. The dealer technician told my salesman that the factory hitch, altought it comes with the trailer module necessary for the ESP, doesn't provide the electric brake feed and that I will need to install an aftermarket electric brake controller. Does anyone here ever got an electric brake controller installed on their Q5? If so, is it a complicated task? Does it involves removing interior panels in order to had wires running to the back of the vehicle?

Thank you for your time.

Martin
Old 02-23-2010, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends of your trailer...

- Electric brakes that require input from vehicle brakes? (mostly NA applications)

- Hydraulic surge brakes that takes control from ball coupling?

The 7 pin connector haves pin for for electric brakes but you would still need the brake controller.

Last edited by kleinbus; 02-23-2010 at 06:10 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by kleinbus
Depends of your trailer...

- Electric brakes that require imput from vehicle brakes? (mostly NA applications)

- Hydraulic surge brakes that takes control from ball coupling?

The 7 pin connector haves pin for for electric brakes but you swould still need the brake controller.
Currently I pull my trailer with an Honda Accord, I had to install an electric brake controller, I assume I will need the same on the Q5.

I just want to know if to install this, I will need to remove the interior panels up to the back of the car for the wires or if Audi planned for it and wires are already installed in the car. I am a squeak and rattle freak, loosing up interior panels often leads those kinds of things...
Old 02-23-2010, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NoogMan
You shouldn't need anything else, and you won't be hauling anything so heavy with that thing that you need full brake controller (like towing a track vehicle). We have one on order also with factory hitch option. Most boats now come with hydraulic brake controllers that work off the tongue of the trailer. I wouldn't tow much more than a sea doo with a Q5.
The Q5 with electric brakes can tow up to 4400lbs with the 3.2l, the only model sold here in Canada. I am currently towing a trailer tent which is less heavy than that but has electric brakes. I am planning on buying a small boat that will be in the 3000-3500lbs range.

I specifically selected the Q5 over other vehicle because of his towing capacity and its limited fuel consumption compared to the Jeep grand cherokee or other american trucks.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MartinQ5
The Q5 with electric brakes can tow up to 4400lbs with the 3.2l, the only model sold here in Canada. I am currently towing a trailer tent which is less heavy than that but has electric brakes. I am planning on buying a small boat that will be in the 3000-3500lbs range.

I specifically selected the Q5 over other vehicle because of his towing capacity and its limited fuel consumption compared to the Jeep grand cherokee or other american trucks.
for towing anything i'd go american. more of a truck on frame. better for towing and more reliable for it in that sense too. unibody's for towing doesn't make sense to me. My uncle has a 6,000lbs boat (maybe more) its a 26' fishing boat and he tow' it with a Yukon Denali XL with a 6.2L V8 and it pulls it without a problem and looks happy doing so with self leveling suspension and all.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
for towing anything i'd go american. more of a truck on frame. better for towing and more reliable for it in that sense too. unibody's for towing doesn't make sense to me. My uncle has a 6,000lbs boat (maybe more) its a 26' fishing boat and he tow' it with a Yukon Denali XL with a 6.2L V8 and it pulls it without a problem and looks happy doing so with self leveling suspension and all.
I had a brand new 1999 Grand Cherokee and I had plenty of problems with it, electronic failures, transaxle replaced, and rust starting to appear after only 2 years. With the current situation of the american carmakers, I was not really looking to but an american vehicle anyway, furthermore, I was looking for a little bit of prestige and I totally fell in love with the Q5.

Still, I agree with you that unibody is not the way to go to tow, but I will be only towing a small trailer and maybe a small boat 10-12 times per year on small runs (less than 100 miles). I think the Q5 will be better than the vehicle I have now (my 2002 honda accord 2.3l)