Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Engine cools down peroid

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 03:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine cools down peroid

I noticed that the engine of my Q5 is still pretty hot after I shut down the car for 2 or 3 hours when the outside temp is around 70s. Is this normal?

Thx.
Old 09-05-2009, 04:54 PM
DrV
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by haitink
I noticed that the engine of my Q5 is still pretty hot after I shut down the car for 2 or 3 hours when the outside temp is around 70s. Is this normal?

Thx.
How long the engine block retains heat depends on a number of factors. I'm not an expert, but they include the type of metal the engine is made of (aluminum in the Q5), the weight of the engine, the surface area exposed to the surrounding air relative to the volume of the engine, ambient air temperature and wind conditions, the volume of liquids inside the engine and so on. The Q5 engine heat retention would be similar to any other engine of comparable size and weight, but definitely longer than say a 1.8L 4 cylinder engine if all other factors are equal.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DrV
How long the engine block retains heat depends on a number of factors. I'm not an expert, but they include the type of metal the engine is made of (aluminum in the Q5), the weight of the engine, the surface area exposed to the surrounding air relative to the volume of the engine, ambient air temperature and wind conditions, the volume of liquids inside the engine and so on. The Q5 engine heat retention would be similar to any other engine of comparable size and weight, but definitely longer than say a 1.8L 4 cylinder engine if all other factors are equal.
Thanks for the technical explanation. It still seems a bit abnormal to me for Q5 to take more than 3 hours to cool down, even in summer. The user manual does say that after a long drive, leave the engine running for two minuets to prevent excessive heat built-up. I am just curious what other Q5 owners are experiencing.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i've noticed the q5 stays warm for a LONG while afterwards. not an issue for me, when i start it up again it doens't have to warm up! it also warms up quickly
Old 09-05-2009, 10:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by haitink
Thanks for the technical explanation. It still seems a bit abnormal to me for Q5 to take more than 3 hours to cool down, even in summer. The user manual does say that after a long drive, leave the engine running for two minuets to prevent excessive heat built-up. I am just curious what other Q5 owners are experiencing.
The "two-minute" cool down period is not that unusual of a request. Of all the helicopters I've flown or currently fly, they require at least a 30 second and as long as 2 minute cool down periods at ground idle. Of course the engines are running at 600-800 degrees celsius, but it's still the same concept.

phxflyboy
Old 09-05-2009, 11:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by phxflyboy
The "two-minute" cool down period is not that unusual of a request. Of all the helicopters I've flown or currently fly, they require at least a 30 second and as long as 2 minute cool down periods at ground idle. Of course the engines are running at 600-800 degrees celsius, but it's still the same concept.

phxflyboy
cooling down is good for turbo-engines
if not applied, the higher temperature of the turbo can result in servere dammage to the block, at least the oil be be cracked !
this is of course if the turbo has been hard sollicited
cooling down after a short ride is not necessary
Old 09-06-2009, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah, its normal, its the same for my 3.2L A6. It stays warm longer than all my other car after shut off.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Yep,

I asked the same question when I got my Q5 a few months ago. Way hoter way longer than any other car I have owned and reaches temperature fastest too. Doesn't seem to be an problem/issue though.

Bob
Old 12-24-2023, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Engine cools down period and safety. Read Here
Old 12-28-2023, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I've noticed the same thing - takes way too long to cool down, but I don't mind it in the winter - quick heat for the next trip!

But I can just feel a ton of heat radiating from the front and even sides of the car when I'm unloading luggage and the kids after a drive - I've never felt that in other cars.