Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Engine Revving Higher with brake pedal depressed & Car In Drive

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 03:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiDC
Hello Everyone,

I would appreciate any members comments/thoughts on the following. I have been scanning this site and googling around and have not been able to find relevant data that points to the following. This situation has happened two times since I bought the 2012 Q5 3.2 Prestige in September, 2011. I would also add that we have a 2010 Q5 3.2 as well and we have not had these same issues on that car. Here is what has happened.

Both incidences occurred with temperatures in the 25 to 30 degree range. I had driven the car for 10 minutes under one circumstance and over 30 minutes the other time. In both instances I came to a stop to let out passengers while keeping the gear in drive and depressing the foot brake. In both instances, the conversation went for more than 45 seconds as they were getting out. However, what occurred in both instances is that the engine would start revving up to 1500 RPM's. I would then shift the gear into park with the goal of gradually releasing my foot off the brake pedal. However, in both instances, as I shifted into park, the engine revved even higher before it settled down.

The other issue that I have noted that I am wondering is related is the fact that as I accelerate the car, it stays in a much higher rev state for a longer period of time before it shifts gears [versus our 2010 3.2]. Am wondering if Audi changed their rev states [keeping them in a higher range] so as to fix the issue with transmission shifting issues from first to second gear that was a problem early on with the Q5?

One other comment, we do have the winter mats down that we purchased with the car directly from Audi so we do not believe it's an issue of the mats weighing on the pedal, causing the revving/acceleration.

Would appreciate members insights here.
Do you left foot brake?
Old 02-26-2012, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I dont understand why so many responses suggest you are "fat footing" when clearly you said you are not. The reason it revs up as you put it into park is the load has come off the drive and the engine is suddenly able to free run. It has nothing to do with your issue and is perfectly normal.
I bet you feel a bit of a jolt free when it happens too.
Does the same thing happen at traffic lights or in congestion stops?
Does it vary directly on how hard you press the brake pedal?
Does it only happen when you have a lot of pressure on teh brake pedal?

Could it be a servo diaphragm leak that only develops with prolonged operation?

And no it is not normal and has not been reported by other owners.

I suggest you make a report to your Service dept or at least send an emails asking them about it. At least its history will be recorded.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jusforfun
I dont understand why so many responses suggest you are "fat footing" when clearly you said you are not. The reason it revs up as you put it into park is the load has come off the drive and the engine is suddenly able to free run. It has nothing to do with your issue and is perfectly normal.
I bet you feel a bit of a jolt free when it happens too.
Does the same thing happen at traffic lights or in congestion stops?
Does it vary directly on how hard you press the brake pedal?
Does it only happen when you have a lot of pressure on teh brake pedal?

Could it be a servo diaphragm leak that only develops with prolonged operation?

And no it is not normal and has not been reported by other owners.

I suggest you make a report to your Service dept or at least send an emails asking them about it. At least its history will be recorded.
The reason is that nobody thinks they are "fat-footing" it when, in fact, they are.

The Toyota debacle highlighted the fact that the vast majority of those with unintended acceleration were hitting the accelerator, not the brake.

So, taking someone's word for it is not conclusive. No one is calling them a liar. But, no one is reporting this issue either. Which leads to the "fat footing" conclusion.