Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

European taillights

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 08:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by abcabc
Can VAG-COM make the blinker only blink with the thin row of LEDs (even if they're red) instead of the whole light cluster? That's one thing I like about the previous version of the Q5.
The 2009-2012 Q5's have amber turn signals? I thought they were red...can they be changed?
Old 11-29-2012, 10:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by BirdmanQ5
The 2009-2012 Q5's have amber turn signals? I thought they were red...can they be changed?
Everywhere but here, yeah. And they can be changed if you swap the RoW taillights in for the NA ones. Shouldn't be too bad to do, but not a cheap fix.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 391 Likes on 352 Posts

I've had the tail lights re-programmed on my A4 to more closely resemble the European format. However, the turn signals are still red. I don't know if they've discovered how to alter the color.

I suppose a knowledgeable person with access to the USA/Canada coding and the Euro programming could track down the differences..that's how they reverse engineered the ability to change the illuminated segments on my car.

Don't the DRLs on the C7 A6 change color from white to orange when the turn signal is used?? I've haven't been up close enough to see if they are changing color or if there are two discrete sets of LEDs.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

I am definitely interested in changing my tail lights to the European amber and then hacking the system to only flash the amber.

Not sure why they choose to have two different systems rather than just make them all amber. Not like the US requires red flashing tail lights. I am sure Canada does not either.

Seems the lowest common denominator is amber.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Daisame
Not sure why they choose to have two different systems rather than just make them all amber. Not like the US requires red flashing tail lights. I am sure Canada does not either.
That's always puzzled me. The amber turn signals are legal everywhere in the world, so why do they go to the extra trouble and expense to develop a red turn signal version?
Old 11-30-2012, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 391 Likes on 352 Posts

It may be that the amber turn signals are bulbs, not LEDs. That's what has been suggested in other threads.

Here's a custom, one-off config where they removed the red LED turn signals and replaced with amber LEDs:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...D-turn-signals
Old 11-30-2012, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Nice!

Old 11-30-2012, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Yoshimura
Nice!

Nice, but that's not how it's done. The brake light flashes with the turn signal. That's so stupid. Why would Audi make this change for the worse?
Old 11-30-2012, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by abcabc
Nice, but that's not how it's done. The brake light flashes with the turn signal. That's so stupid. Why would Audi make this change for the worse?
That picture is how it's done outside Canada and the US. Which is why this thread started -- I want those lights

I'm getting a set of them from Alex at EuroPrice, so I'll keep you guys posted how it goes.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Wunsch
I'm getting a set of them from Alex at EuroPrice, so I'll keep you guys posted how it goes.
Hadn't seen the 2013 assemblies listed, so wasn't sure if he was doing those yet or not (but as with most things, if you ask he should be able to source them). Definitely keep us updated with how it goes for you since you're probably one of the first 2013s doing the swap.

Quick Reply: European taillights