Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Exhaust help (STaSIS vs. AWE)

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Exhaust help (STaSIS vs. AWE)

I have searched every forum out there and listened to tons of sound-bite clips (mostly on the 2.0T A4s).

I was dead set on getting the AWE exhaust, but have since been swayed a bit back to the STaSIS exhaust.

I have spoken with both companies, and both seem to have great customer service. Alan from STaSIS even offered to drive 1.5 hrs and meet me half-way to hear the Q5 R&D car that he uses as his daily driver!

Anyway, I have seen thread after thread saying how the AWE is louder than the STaSIS, and after 3000 RPMS you can't hear a difference in the STaSIS. That seems a little bit sketchy to me. There seems to be a clear difference in the videos, and they don't do any of them justice.

Alan is going to make some videos for me from outside and in the cabin as well, btw.

I am worried about drone obviously. I don't care to have a louder system honestly, either. I was going to get the AWE resonated downpipe even.

It seems to me that the STaSIS system is a little more low toned and rumbly sounding, and the AWE is louder and higher pitched.
I know it all depends on how you break them in (low RPMs vs high RPMs) and how the carbon builds up in the resonators, etc.

The STaSIS system comes with a downpipe (3") and has a center resonator, and has 2 resonators in the rear that are removable if you want to do that. I doubt I would as it just makes things louder and higher pitched. They recommend using the "touring pkg/low rpm" rear resonators with DSG.

I am installing the 034 HFC at the same time as the exhaust.

Differences:

AWE----------------STaSIS
2.5" DP------------3" DP
$1618--------------$1345
bigger hassle------less hassle
(Ship/me)----------(Ship to dealer/Install/warranty)

*Install will be a bigger hassle for the AWE, as I will have to either drive 3 hrs to do it at an out of town shop, or have it shipped to me and drive 2 hrs to my custom Audi shop (APR) and have them do it. With STaSIS, my local Audi dealer is certified STaSIS dealer and it 35 min away, pkg ships directly to them.

*Both systems have mid-resonators in downpipe end before split.

*STaSIS has removable/changeable resonators for rear, AWE you can't remove them

*AWE is 2.5" throughout system -->3.5" tips

*STaSIS (I think) is 2.5", but may be 2.25" (not sure exactly) --> 3.5" tips

I'm heavily leaning toward the STaSIS, but wanted some other feedback on others experiences.

STaSIS sale ends (12/31), AWE sale ends (1/7).

Last edited by ThunderDent; 12-17-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With that larger turbo you already have, you'll appreciate the larger down pipe more...

No experience with either one though.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you thought about a custom exhaust from a local shop ?

for that price you can build a HECK of a custom system...

MANY times they can do EXACTLY what you want ----
mandrel bends, sound tuning, etc...

Heck - most speed shops can too...

that's where I went for 4 of my dezzles and the Audi Q5 you hear in my signature...

Ah, but you are out in the wide open spaces.... maybe there aren't any near you ?

do a google search for custom exhaust or speed shops near you...

Last edited by JohnBoyToo; 12-17-2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking the same thing about the downpipe.

And JohnnyBoy I'm not completely in the sticks there bud.... haha. I do like the DFW area tho. My buddy used to live in FW for quite a while.

There are some custom shops around. There's even a custom speed shop with a dyno about 15 min down the road. I'll prob do that after I get everything on.

I may stick with the STaSIS tho. A lot of engineering goes into those things, I know.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends on if you plan on playing with the different components down the line... if semi-customizability is what you want (without any hassle or worry about workmanship) then Stasis is probably the way to go since you can always go back to the dealer to get things fixed.

Going full custom may be nice but will take much more time to get to test/fit/assemble to your liking, but you will need to be clear with what you want for an end state.

No doubt both AWE and Stasis are good off-the-shelf options if you don't do the full custom route. In this case, I think Stasis may be a better bet for you as they're more willing to demo it in person and you can go visit the dealer if there are any issues with the exhaust.