Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Experience with Sirius Traffic

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 06:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Experience with Sirius Traffic

Has anyone had a good experience with the Sirius Traffic feature? For me, its wrong about 90% of the time. Most of the time it has the colors backwards, the clear side will show red/orange and the traffic side shows green. Other times, it will show green and not change to red/orange until I have been sitting for several minutes, or until I just hit the slowdown. Its supposed to alert me before I get to the traffic, never had this happen on any of the highways I have been on.
I will not be renewing the TMC.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Out of curiosity where are you located? I'm in SoCal and it's been pretty good. Usually for me it's been pretty good, I've never seen the backwards thing. It does seem to be a little late in changing the colors for a recent slowdown. If it shows orange I usually assume it really is red, if it's red I know that nothing is moving. They really need another color or two.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Works fine for me in the VA,DC,MD area. Just took a trip up to Phili and it was pretty much spot on in both directions...
Old 07-04-2010, 07:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Over the weekend I was in va/md/de/pa/nj and it was not accurate at all. It was either completely wrong, or showed the traffic too late.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by fastd1
Over the weekend I was in va/md/de/pa/nj and it was not accurate at all. It was either completely wrong, or showed the traffic too late.
I have the Q5 for a little over a month now. I have used the traffic feature in other cars in the past (2005 Acura RL and my wife's BMW 5-series wagon) and appear to be about the same in all of the cars. They update in real time, and are late on occasion. Sometimes, the traffic feature will automatically place the traffic in on weekdays. I always was warned of upcoming traffic. I live in Northern NJ and was on I 80 West on Saturday Morning, and the traffic feature was red indicating a jam. I thought this was in error and was pleasantly surprised when the nav was correct. Would recommend it in a heartbeat.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Does anyone know whether Real time traffic also will expire after 3 months of free suscription? Also is there a way to only traffic update service from Sirrus without getting the radio package? http://www.sirius.com/traffic does give an impression that we need to purchase radio service also to get traffic data service? Has anyone gine thro this with Sirrus already? I talked to the sales #. Hmm. Looks like i know more about their products than their sales guys in 1-800 #
Old 07-06-2010, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by kvsub
Does anyone know whether Real time traffic also will expire after 3 months of free suscription?
Yes it expired along with the radio for me after 3 months of use.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Mine expired when my free trial was up. I tried to add only the traffic, but was told that the traffic was only available as an add on to the music package.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

fwiw, sirius traffic redirected me yesterday to avoid traffic and saved me significant time off my commute. I'm not sure how the MMI's algorithm calculates the routes and redirects but it worked like a charm for me yesterday. I'm still on my first month of my subscription so i'll take some to see if there is anything on the music and talk channels that interest me to renew. What happens when you press info and you don't have sirius traffic subscription?
Old 07-07-2010, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by joecheng86
fwiw, sirius traffic redirected me yesterday to avoid traffic and saved me significant time off my commute. I'm not sure how the MMI's algorithm calculates the routes and redirects but it worked like a charm for me yesterday. I'm still on my first month of my subscription so i'll take some to see if there is anything on the music and talk channels that interest me to renew. What happens when you press info and you don't have sirius traffic subscription?
You will get a screen that directs you to call Sirius for subscription service.

The traffic is worth it if you live in an urban area IMO. Last week on my to Michigan it rerouted me due to slow traffic ahead. I had to travel about 10 extra miles, but I beat my friends who went through the traffic and had left 1/2 hour before me. I'd rather drive more miles than sit in traffic!

Quick Reply: Experience with Sirius Traffic