Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Extended Warranty

At delivery, I was presented with the option of extending my factory warranty to seven years /70,000 miles for a little over $2K. I will put less than 10,000 miles on the Q5 each year so the 70K mile amount makes sense for me. I will most likely own the Q5 for seven to ten years. I did not buy the warranty yet as I am still considering it.

Question for the group - did you buy the extended warranty for your Q5? What is your reasoning?
Old 11-24-2013, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenBear
At delivery, I was presented with the option of extending my factory warranty to seven years /70,000 miles for a little over $2K. I will put less than 10,000 miles on the Q5 each year so the 70K mile amount makes sense for me. I will most likely own the Q5 for seven to ten years. I did not buy the warranty yet as I am still considering it.

Question for the group - did you buy the extended warranty for your Q5? What is your reasoning?
I am thinking about this also.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I bought mine as a certified pre-owned (2011 with less than 26K miles on it) so it has the Audi pre-owned 100K warranty already on it. having said that had I bought new I would have gone with the extended warranty. It's the same reason you buy car insurance....it rarely pays off but in my case when a lady runs a red-light and t-bones you at 55mph and does over 14K in damages to your SUV....it's nice to be able to buy a new car and not be screwed.

Warranties are the same for me....I may never ( and hope to never) use it, but it is a good piece of mind.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

That's a pretty good deal. I was offered a warranty that only extended the mileage another 10k but kept the standard 4 years in place, for a little over $2k. I drive 100 miles RT a day to the office so made some sense and I am not planning to keep the car past the warranty period.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

I took 9 years, 140000 km for 3600$. Platinum coverage ( bumper to bumper)
Old 11-24-2013, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by GoldenBear

That's a good price and I would definitely go for it. Unlike our Japanese and Korean counterparts, Audis are VERY expensive to maintain and repair. Case in point: My wife's '05 S4 Cab blew a head gasket about two years ago. Without the extended warranty, we're out five grand. With it? $50 deductible. (The whole repair was about $1,000 as they replaced other things while the engine bay was open; water pump, belts, some hoses, plus oil and filter changes, etc. Car had 80K miles at the time so this seemed to make good sense.) It's run perfectly since then.

I paid nearly $3K to take the remaining three years of warranty on my "new" '11 Q5 to five years and 100K miles. I only drive about 8K miles a year so the time was much more important than the distance. Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I won't keep the Audi (or any car) beyond the factory warranty period, but if I did I'd consider and extended warranty.

If you shop around can you find discounts on genuine Audi warranties? Over on one of the Lexus forums owners used a couple of different dealers for discounted warranties.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

You might want to take a look at fd-warranty.com. They are a dealer selling legit Audi warranties. I email them and was quoted about $1850 for $100 deductible, 7y/70K Platinum, and about $500 more for zero deductible. The quote is good till the end of the year, at which time Audi will "adjust" the premium.

Here is the thread I posted asking for experience with them: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2846561

At the end I decided to wait until my original warranty is almost up before buying, which I can still do. I will risk a price hike, but at least I won't tie up my money for four years doing nothing.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased the extended warranty 7years/100k, since I planned to keep the car past the standard warranty. Many will argue, it may be a waste of money, but in the end it's insurance you purchase in case you have any issues after the standard warranty expires. For a $50-60k car, spending an extra few thousand for that piece of mind was worth it for us. In the end, I hope I never need that extended warranty, but you never know. As "Dalancroft" stated, European car parts are expensive, so any minor or major fix will easily pay for itself.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

I would never get an extended warranty so early after a purchase of a new car. Remember, the EW is prorated from the moment you buy it, not after the standard warranty ends. SO, if your car gets stolen or worse, totaled after a few years, you have lost a chunk of the price you paid then for the EW.
If, after a few years, closer to the end of the standard warranty, and I was determined to keep the car, then for sure, I would get the EW.

B

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty