Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

On the fence with 2009 Q5

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On the fence with 2009 Q5

I'm on the fence about purchasing a 2009 dealer demo Q5 Prestige with 5500 miles. It's certified pre-owned (cpo) so in addition to the remaining factory warranty, it has another 2yr 50k for a total of 6yr 100k of warranty. The dealer is asking $48k for the car haggled down from $50k.

I'm somewhat concerned about transmission problems mentioned in these threads:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f1e9c37/0
http://www.go-audi.com/14176-audi-q5...defective.html
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2763243

The 2009 Q5 is a Prestige and has all the nice stuff like B&O, MMI, and side assist. But it's black ext, black int.

I'm wondering if $48k is too much when I can order a new 2010 Q5 Prestige for $50k in the colour I want (deep sea blue). I'm figuring that for an additional $2k, I can get a new 2010 with 0 miles. But then I don't have that additional 50k warranty that the 2009 CPO offers.

And just to muddy the water more, I'm also considering a new 2009 Acura MDX Tech for $45.

Both are very nice. One minute I'm leaning towards Q5, next I'm thinking MDX.

sigh ...
Old 11-29-2009, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

I paid 47K for my brand new 09 prestige. (this was back in feb). i think a 3K discount on Prestige models is very achievable. I would def. skip the deal described ^ .
Old 11-29-2009, 09:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

It's a demo with 5500 miles. That's a lot of test driving and flogging by customers who want to see exactly how quick a Q5 is. I certainly did just that when I went for my test drives. Floored the throttle even though the demo car was still cold, jammed on the brakes, tossed it hard into corners, etc.

Now think, 5500 miles of that. Many people got their licks; prospective buyers, some employees, some just looking for a joy ride to see if this new crossover can really handle like a sedan like they say.

Dealers should be able to give a much better deal than that from a demo. Having CPO thrown in the deal is a nice but their asking price is the same as what many of us are paying for a brand new 2010 Prestige Q5 with 8 miles on it. Many of us are getting a new Q5 for at least $2k off MSRP and in some cases more. Dealers are willing to discount the Q5 now. If your dealer is not, look elsewhere.

$48k for that demo Q5 is too much. At $45k and below it would start to become fair. Otherwise, that MDX is sounding like a much better deal. If I were you, I'd just order a new 2010 Q5 the way I want it. MDX is too boring.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just picked a new Q5 yesterday (graphite) .... and love it. Would def NOT go for the used one unles you get a sustantial discount. If you are planning on keeping it awhile .. nothing like having you own new vehicle .... and regarding the MDX .... I have test driven everything out there .... they are a totally diffrent breed .. the MDX is nice transportation, the Q5 is a drivers car and handles WAY better, no comparison. Where I live every 2nd car is an MDX (there are all over) and the Q5's are super rare.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

When we were looking and had decided to buy the Q5 of course there was none to be found, there were a couple of dealerships willing to part with their demo's but the prices were nuts, we turned around and found a brand new one, I kept thinking we will have a 2010, so when you go to sell it, it is already a year younger then the 2009, silly things like that make a difference when you sell, also the same thing about the guy that mentioned the people test driving the vehicle
Old 11-30-2009, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for advice/opinions. Your words are mostly what I've been think wrt the beating on a demo and for just a few more $s I could get a new model year.

This past week, we've driven these: infiniti ex35, acura mdx, nisan murano, honda crv, honda pilot, bmw x3, lexus rx350, porsche cayenne.

We liked the cayenne the best but it was out of our price range. Next choice is the Q5 but the MDX's third row keeps entering the decision.

I'm going to start checking around for 2010 Q5 deals.

thanks
Old 11-30-2009, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by larryV
It's a demo with 5500 miles. That's a lot of test driving and flogging by customers who want to see exactly how quick a Q5 is. I certainly did just that when I went for my test drives. Floored the throttle even though the demo car was still cold, jammed on the brakes, tossed it hard into corners, etc.

Now think, 5500 miles of that. Many people got their licks; prospective buyers, some employees, some just looking for a joy ride to see if this new crossover can really handle like a sedan like they say.

Dealers should be able to give a much better deal than that from a demo. Having CPO thrown in the deal is a nice but their asking price is the same as what many of us are paying for a brand new 2010 Prestige Q5 with 8 miles on it. Many of us are getting a new Q5 for at least $2k off MSRP and in some cases more. Dealers are willing to discount the Q5 now. If your dealer is not, look elsewhere.

$48k for that demo Q5 is too much. At $45k and below it would start to become fair. Otherwise, that MDX is sounding like a much better deal. If I were you, I'd just order a new 2010 Q5 the way I want it. MDX is too boring.
Well said, Larry.

Bob
Old 11-30-2009, 10:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just trade my mdx 08 for my new Q5. Mdx is a very nice suv. specially if you need the extra room . Think about that.....if you need room Mdx is bigger. if you want a better suv and you can handle it size.....just go Q5 . Mdx is boring ....inside out . I love my Q5 prm + , navi,19" wheels, ibis white /tan interior.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

I paid 47,700 for a 09 S line prestige...new.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ordered my 2010 Prestige w/ S-Line, Meteor Gray, Tow Hitch and Floor Mats/Trunk Liner for a flat $50K and was able to get the color combo I wanted. Even with the extended warranty, can't see why you would pay $48K for a vehicle that is not exactly what you want. Actually, I did pay the $825 destincation charge as well (but no other fees like marketing, etc).

Oh, and I am in SoCal where most new cars are in high demand (the Q5 being no exception), so I didn't get a deal because of lack or softness of demand in my area.

Originally Posted by powerrankfootball
I'm on the fence about purchasing a 2009 dealer demo Q5 Prestige with 5500 miles. It's certified pre-owned (cpo) so in addition to the remaining factory warranty, it has another 2yr 50k for a total of 6yr 100k of warranty. The dealer is asking $48k for the car haggled down from $50k.

I'm somewhat concerned about transmission problems mentioned in these threads:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f1e9c37/0
http://www.go-audi.com/14176-audi-q5...defective.html
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2763243

The 2009 Q5 is a Prestige and has all the nice stuff like B&O, MMI, and side assist. But it's black ext, black int.

I'm wondering if $48k is too much when I can order a new 2010 Q5 Prestige for $50k in the colour I want (deep sea blue). I'm figuring that for an additional $2k, I can get a new 2010 with 0 miles. But then I don't have that additional 50k warranty that the 2009 CPO offers.

And just to muddy the water more, I'm also considering a new 2009 Acura MDX Tech for $45.

Both are very nice. One minute I'm leaning towards Q5, next I'm thinking MDX.

sigh ...

Quick Reply: On the fence with 2009 Q5