Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Finally got snow tires for the Q5

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Reggie
I'm not a Blazzack fan - but it it just a personal thing. The Pirellis seem to have a tread pattern more like the Dunlops I wanted and the Blazzacks were block like. The ratings on TR were about the same for both tires.

I had heard in the past Blizzacks had a different material half way after they wear. May not be true anymore but made me think.
That's good insight. Thanks.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Reggie
I'm not a Blazzack fan - but it it just a personal thing. The Pirellis seem to have a tread pattern more like the Dunlops I wanted and the Blazzacks were block like. The ratings on TR were about the same for both tires.

I had heard in the past Blizzacks had a different material half way after they wear. May not be true anymore but made me think.
Blizzaks still have a different tread compound for the bottom 45% of their tread. So they are only optimal for the first 55% of their tread life. However, being winter tires, you probably don't want to run them too low on tread anyway...

I'm putting Blizzak DM-V1s on our Q5 this weekend. I've never tried Blizzaks before, so I can't say much about them. In fact, this is our first winter with the Q5.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jjandersonn
I'm putting Blizzak DM-V1s on our Q5 this weekend. I've never tried Blizzaks before, so I can't say much about them. In fact, this is our first winter with the Q5.
Please post how they handle in non-snowy, warmer conditions, i.e. temps above 45 degrees (7C). My Q won't be in from Europe for a few weeks, so I have some time to decide.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Heresy64
Please post how they handle in non-snowy, warmer conditions, i.e. temps above 45 degrees (7C). My Q won't be in from Europe for a few weeks, so I have some time to decide.
I had them on last year. They do great in the dry. Snow tires have really made great leaps in the last 5 years or so. Even though they pitch the lm-25's as the "performance" light truck tire, the DM-v1's (and I assume the ws-60s) have come a long way since the squirmy WS-50's of old.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rs4-380
I had them on last year. They do great in the dry. Snow tires have really made great leaps in the last 5 years or so. Even though they pitch the lm-25's as the "performance" light truck tire, the DM-v1's (and I assume the ws-60s) have come a long way since the squirmy WS-50's of old.
I had WS60s on my A4. Very squishy at anything over 40 degrees. It felt like I was driving on big marshmallows. I had DM-V1s on an Acura MDX and I don't remember them being nearly as squishy.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D

Tirerack recommends 235/55/19 tires for the Q5.

I see that tire rack only has the 235/50/19 Dunlops. Is this workable or do I need to stick with the recommended aspect ratio of 55? There will obviously be less sidewall but I can live with a 5% difference I think as long as it's not considered dangerous.

I will be driving in NYC for the most part so I wanted to go with a set that was better for dry conditions. From what I've read, the dunlop wintersport 3D is not as soft as the bridgestone blizzak DM-V1.

I know people rave about Nokians although a bit pricier and Tirerack doesn't even carry any. I found Hankook tires with similar tread design to the Nokians but width is 255 not 235.

Will be deciding with 1 of these 4 in the next few weeks. Any advice on straying from the Tirerack recommended aspect ratio?

1) Hankook I*Pike RW11 255/50R19 (too wide? I know narrower better for snow, aspect ratio?)
2) Dunlop Wintersport D 235/50/19 (aspect ratio?)
3) Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow 235/55/19
4) Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 235/55/19 (too soft?)
Old 11-03-2011, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by schanyc

I see that tire rack only has the 235/50/19 Dunlops. Is this workable or do I need to stick with the recommended aspect ratio of 55? There will obviously be less sidewall but I can live with a 5% difference I think as long as it's not considered dangerous.

I will be driving in NYC for the most part so I wanted to go with a set that was better for dry conditions. From what I've read, the dunlop wintersport 3D is not as soft as the bridgestone blizzak DM-V1.

I know people rave about Nokians although a bit pricier and Tirerack doesn't even carry any. I found Hankook tires with similar tread design to the Nokians but width is 255 not 235.

Will be deciding with 1 of these 4 in the next few weeks. Any advice on straying from the Tirerack recommended aspect ratio?

1) Hankook I*Pike RW11 255/50R19 (too wide? I know narrower better for snow, aspect ratio?)
The Pirellis should handle better in the dry, while the Blizzaks will offer the best snow performance. Based on your post I'm guessing you'd prefer the Pirellis. Blizzaks excel at getting you through the slick stuff, and that's about it. I spend a lot of time in the snow, so the DMV-1 was my third choice for the Q5 behind the Hakkas and Michelin X-Ice Xi2 (which by the way are nowhere to be found yet this year). My biggest complaint with Blizzaks is the poor fuel mileage. Low rolling resistance has clearly not been a priority for Bridgestone. Good luck!
Old 11-04-2011, 03:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 213 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by HotRodW
The Pirellis should handle better in the dry, while the Blizzaks will offer the best snow performance. Based on your post I'm guessing you'd prefer the Pirellis. Blizzaks excel at getting you through the slick stuff, and that's about it. I spend a lot of time in the snow, so the DMV-1 was my third choice for the Q5 behind the Hakkas and Michelin X-Ice Xi2 (which by the way are nowhere to be found yet this year). My biggest complaint with Blizzaks is the poor fuel mileage. Low rolling resistance has clearly not been a priority for Bridgestone. Good luck!
Tire Racks preferred winter package is a 17" wheel 235/65-17 tires for all Q5's. In that size they do have the Michelin XICE2. That is the direction I went. The potholes are severe here especially towards springtime and they don't really fix them until late spring. The 65 profile will be much more pleasant in my environment. Another benefit of 17's is that the are considerably cheaper than the 18's and 19's. The performance I was looking for is for full-on snow and ice. I am sure the handling will still be better than most vehicles on the road and I will have a smoother ride than I normally do with 18's.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by schanyc

Go with the 3d's or the blizzak lm-25s (basically you want a "performance" snow tire).

I recommend getting a dedicated set of wheels and going down at least 1" in wheel size, it opens up your tire choices, makes things cheaper, and works better with the crappy winter roads in the northeast.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by rdA4WtQ5
Tire Racks preferred winter package is a 17" wheel 235/65-17 tires for all Q5's. In that size they do have the Michelin XICE2. That is the direction I went. The potholes are severe here especially towards springtime and they don't really fix them until late spring. The 65 profile will be much more pleasant in my environment. Another benefit of 17's is that the are considerably cheaper than the 18's and 19's. The performance I was looking for is for full-on snow and ice. I am sure the handling will still be better than most vehicles on the road and I will have a smoother ride than I normally do with 18's.
Well said i'm running Michelin latitude 17" for winter
The Q drives like a tank in the Snow and turns on a dime..

BCD-1
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Finally got snow tires for the Q5