Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Finally got snow tires for the Q5

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had the Pirelli's for the past 2 winters and I am happy with them. They handle good in the wet/dry and do not get squishy. In the snow they handle great. I live in the Northeast and go up north skiing and these tires have been great in all snowy conditions.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Reggie- what are your feelings on the pirellis so far?
Old 11-08-2011, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by schanyc
Reggie- what are your feelings on the pirellis so far?
Have not really driven the car much as it is my wifes. The tread seems a little more noisy vs the Conti DWS I had on the car - but not bad.

No driving in snow yet. We just did not go out when we got the last 8"+ storm. Still need to take pictures and drive it in bad weather.
Did I say I am tired of snow already this year
Old 11-08-2011, 06:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

tire rack recommends 235/55/19 size.. looking at the dunlop winter sport 3d, they only offer 235/50/19. just slightly less protection due to the smaller tire wall but will work fine right?
Old 11-08-2011, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by schanyc
tire rack recommends 235/55/19 size.. looking at the dunlop winter sport 3d, they only offer 235/50/19. just slightly less protection due to the smaller tire wall but will work fine right?
You will have slightly less wheel protection due to the slightly shorter sidewalls, but more importantly you're dealing with a slightly smaller overall diameter. The change in diameter will incrementally affect your speedometer accuracy, which should not be significant. What I cannot say is whether it will create any problems with the TPMS functionality. Will the system interpret the smaller diameter as all four tires being low, or all tires OK since the revolution rate will remain constant across all four wheels? Maybe somebody who knows more about the system can chime in?
Old 11-09-2011, 04:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it affects the tpms, a one time reset thru the mmi each time you change tires will correct it, takes less than 2 minutes to do - so you should be good to go...

IIRC, the tpms does use rotational distance for it's calcs, so it may affect the tpms...
Old 11-14-2011, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Heresy64
Please post how they handle in non-snowy, warmer conditions, i.e. temps above 45 degrees (7C). My Q won't be in from Europe for a few weeks, so I have some time to decide.
The Blizzaks are definately very soft. If you're winter conditions are mostly dry, I would probably try the pirelli's or another of the "performance" winter tire. I expect the sacrifice in performance in the the dry to be worth it in the snow/ice. We haven't had much snow yet, so I can't really say.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rdA4WtQ5
Tire Racks preferred winter package is a 17" wheel 235/65-17 tires for all Q5's. In that size they do have the Michelin XICE2. That is the direction I went. The potholes are severe here especially towards springtime and they don't really fix them until late spring. The 65 profile will be much more pleasant in my environment. Another benefit of 17's is that the are considerably cheaper than the 18's and 19's. The performance I was looking for is for full-on snow and ice. I am sure the handling will still be better than most vehicles on the road and I will have a smoother ride than I normally do with 18's.
Another vote here for the X Ice 2's. Have them on all my vehicles come winter time, including the Q5. Perform great in the snow, on ice, and in the dry. Been on the car for one season so far, and they are wearing very well.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 213 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by CrownSeven
Another vote here for the X Ice 2's. Have them on all my vehicles come winter time, including the Q5. Perform great in the snow, on ice, and in the dry. Been on the car for one season so far, and they are wearing very well.
That's good to hear. I haven't put mine on yet. Maybe this weekend. Have a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta R's for the A4 Cab to put on as well.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Reggie

I so wanted 19" Dunlop 3D which make a 235/55/19 but don't import it. So then I tried to get a Nokian but after a month of waiting and no idea when that size would come off backorder I had to settle for these.
Reggie- I know u were waiting for the 3D in 235/55/19 size. Why didn't u just go for the 235/50/19? I know there would be a difference in overall diameter but it would be so slight at less than 3%. How acceptable is it for me to fit my q5 with these?

Quick Reply: Finally got snow tires for the Q5