Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

first 5k service.. all good!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first 5k service.. all good!

Just thought I'd share..

I took the q5 in today for it's first 5k service. i was pleasantly surprised at the level of service from my local dealer! Coming from Lexus I was a bit skeptical that it would be as good but Newton Audi in Newton NJ exceeded my expectations. Aside from the oil change and tire rotation they replaced the passenger side wiper that was not sitting on the windshield just right. i was in and out in about an hour. Fresh bagels and all the coffee you can drink made the waiting painless.

Overall I'm very happy with our q5. we've taken it to vermont 3 times already and 2 of those were in pretty bad snow storms.. aside from the wiper problem the car has performed flawlessly even with the Michelin all season tires instead of dedicated snow tires. I might go for a dedicated snow tire set up next year.

Looking forward to the next 5K miles!

Nelson
Old 02-06-2011, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Good to hear...that is where we bought my wifes A4 and at the beginning they were really great. But recently we had noticed they had attitudes at the service desk, even after they screwed up the wifes car. Shortly after that I noticed the signs saying new management and they were moving Audi to the old Kia store front. Hope it stays that way since it would be easier for her to have service done there.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by wclepse
Good to hear...that is where we bought my wifes A4 and at the beginning they were really great. But recently we had noticed they had attitudes at the service desk, even after they screwed up the wifes car. Shortly after that I noticed the signs saying new management and they were moving Audi to the old Kia store front. Hope it stays that way since it would be easier for her to have service done there.
Sorry to hear about then messing up your wife's a4. What happened?

Nelson
Old 02-06-2011, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

They had to replace an axle because the boot tore. The first axle that they got was the wrong one. The next one they installed but had to replace in a couple hundred miles. Next time she went in for it to be replaced again the service writer told her she needed all new brakes since they were down to the metal. Wife told him she wasn't doing it and to just fix the axle. Car goes back again for the same axle, this time when she leaves she hears horrible noises and the car is shaking so she goes right back. They admitted they never tightened the lug bolts. Wife gets car back and is still hearing a weird noise but the car wasn't shaking so she asked me to drive it. Sure enough I heard it and knew it was a wheel bearing. When we went to the dealer the service writer was giving her a hard time telling her the problem was the brakes and was generally treating her like crap. So I stepped in and tried to be nice but I really hate being lied to. He was insisting it was the brakes as he told my wife previously, I then reminded him that the front pads have wear sensors so the dash light would be on if they were low let alone down to the metal. He then tried to say that the bearing failure had nothing to do with replacing the axles, I then reminded him of how they forgot to properly attach the wheel and that the noise only happened after that. Something their own records agreed with since there were no notes in previous test drives of such a noise. Eventually I got the manager involved and we came to a resolution that I think was fair, but I just wasn't happy with the path to get there. A few weeks later I saw the signs up about new management. Up until this incident we have always had great service there, in fact many times they have looked at her car or fixed things without charging.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

wclepse, not sure if it's true on the Q5, if the front axle was replaced then they had to undo the axle nut which is torqued to 200+ ft/lbs. If they failed to torque that down (not the wheel) the bearing will be destroyed once you start rolling, hence the horrible noise. The wheel being loose most likely would not kill the bearing. I think it's the axle nut that was not torqued to spec.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Could be..not really sure. Just know there was no grinding whirring noise before it went in any of the other times and after they forgot to tighten something the noise appeared. I think it was directly related to what they did because in teh past when wheel bearings went they did so slowly and you would only hear the noise going around corners on occasion slowly getting more prominent until they really crapped the bed like this.