Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

First (minor) accident

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lalanik
Was that seriously necessary? Is this a Honda Civic forum with kids???
Actually, most young kids would not care less about the problem this country have with illegal immigrants. The problem with illegal immigrant is that they have to run when they get into an accident.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Actually, most young kids would not care less about the problem this country have with illegal immigrants. The problem with illegal immigrant is that they have to run when they get into an accident.
I know personally know how frustrating this issue can be. It some areas of the country, this is a very unfortunate problem, and it seems as though you cannot discuss the issue without it becoming inflammatory. But the fact is that the normal rules do not apply when you have been in an accident with someone who is not in the country legally.

I live about 10 miles from the Border, and several years ago I was rear ended by someone who was in the country illegally. He begged me not to call the police, and said he would pay for the damages which were fairly minor.

I agreed, and what a giant mistake.

Not only did I have to pay $450 out of pocket for repairs (since then I reduced from deductible from $500 to $250 to protect myself), but I ended up in the hospital later that night. I had surgery a short time before, and the impact caused internal complications, I ended up having to have a CAT scan and it really delayed my recovery time. I also had to go for neck adjustment. All out of my pocket!

I had taken a pic of the Licence plate, an address and a cell number. Address was bogus, phone got turned off after we left the first message, and the plate was from Mexico. We spoke to our local police, and to several of our friends who are Officers, and they said we had basically zero recourse, and that that's the reason CA insurance is so high....because we're all paying for these incidents. Everyone we know has a similar story, or knows someone with one...many of them significantly more serious.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well just got the insurance adjustor's quote on the repair.

$666.66

I kid you not.

The adjustor said that since my deductible is $500, might just well go find someone else and get it done that way.

Meh, sometimes you wonder why the insurance cost is so high in Cali... *Sigh*
Old 12-07-2011, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That price sounds about right. I bet just the lense housing itself is $100 to $200 already.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by stevedusa
Well just got the insurance adjustor's quote on the repair.

$666.66

I kid you not.

The adjustor said that since my deductible is $500, might just well go find someone else and get it done that way.

Meh, sometimes you wonder why the insurance cost is so high in Cali... *Sigh*

man im sorry that this happened.. I got rear ended months back and luckily the guy had insurance. I hardly judge anyone but when the guy got out of the car, I thought great, prob no insurance etc.. My insurance quoted me $800 for the minor hit as I wanted to see what the cost would be. I went after his insurance and they paid for everything.. If the guy did not have insurance, then I would of done it as I was worried abt the sensors, the paint being cracked etc.

Can never keep a new car NEW and accident free.. sucks and I feel for you

pics of before and after
Attached Images   
Old 12-09-2011, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

ARRRRRGH! So sorry, friend. I posted about my unfortunate incident on my brand new 2012 Q5 a few weeks ago: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2816310

Hit in the same spot, but totally destroyed that light fixture that seems to be only slightly cracked in your photo. Some small scratches and the lower grill had popped out on that side.

Guy was nice enough to come back into the dry cleaner to tell me he'd hit me and give me his insurance info (State Farm). I used their approved body shop after finding incredible reviews of them and was blown away by their work. Cost $1500. Actually ordered the parts from the local Audi dealer anyway, so they were all official OEM. Sent the first bumper cover back because even OEM came a little scuffed and got one the next day that was perfect.

Good luck!
Old 12-12-2011, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

I would troll the parking lot at the gym for a car with your paint on his/her bumper.

Most of these fools who are dumb enough to run are dumb enough to leave the evidence. if you find a car with damage/paint scrapes, call the police. Let the owner answer the police's questions regarding the damage to their car.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well got the Q5 into a dealer-approved body shop in for the repair, which is conveniently located inside the dealer.

Estimated time about 2 weeks and around $1.5k.

Got an A4 loaner for the mean time... drives just like the Q5, only a bit smaller and much lower.

I miss my Q5 already
Old 12-20-2011, 07:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by The G Man
Sorry to hear about your incident. I remember the good old days when people hit a park car by accident, they leave a note. Now a days, everybody just takes off. I balme the illegals and the insurance point surcharge system.
What does balme means?

I'm illegal, I drive an Audi with full coverage and I spell check before I post!
Old 12-21-2011, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And there used to be shame involved in breaking the law....
or taking handouts, especially if not needed !

funny how you equate being illegal with spell checking

Quick Reply: First (minor) accident