Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

First Mods (pics)....

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ttr2002
Does the DVD run off the car head unit or does each head rest have a dvd reader/player?
Each headrest has a seperate DVD player. You can play two separate DVDs at the same time or put in one DVD and have both headrest read/play that DVD. The headrest comes with two separate remotes and two separate wireless headphones. You can play the sound through a frequecy on your radio or put the sound through the wireless headphones. There are instructions that the company e-mailed me on a PDF, but they are marked "confidential" so I am a little leary about attaching them, but they do have instructions on how to install if you want to try to DIY.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TIME89
Very nice!!!!
Sure, I have the same plate under my California LP. And I see we have the same car and package also. Is it 330 with out sport package? or 335?
330i w/o sport package (didn't want to have to deal with two sets of tires). I was recently considering selling that car (as it was my wifes and now she has the Q5), but realized I am not yet ready to part with it.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rubinjos
I paid about $1400 out the door for the headrests, plus $25 to have an audio shop hard wire the power. My dealer wanted $2000 plus tax for the same headrests with install. I am not mechanically/electronically savvy, but I was able to figure it out. Believe it or not, the toughest part was figuring out how to remove the head rests (I will post separately on that issue in case anyone is interested how to remove them).

Here is the contact info for the Invision rep (Lawrence) who you would want to talk to about these headrests (his info is in this thread): http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...-system-2.html . I think the company only has one rep that is allowed to deal directly with the end user. This company really does have excellent customer service.
Wow close to the cost of my first semester of college. I guess I am glad I don't have kids to have to have the DVD.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rubinjos
I paid about $1400 out the door for the headrests, plus $25 to have an audio shop hard wire the power.
I am confused

Did you purchase headrest or they build units in the once you had?
I have cinnamon leather and i want everything to match perfectly.
Old 08-22-2009, 04:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The Invision packages, like Vizualogc (et al.), match the OEM's leather. You choose your vehicle make/model and specify the leather inside.

The monitors are pre-installed in the headrests, no cutting, etc. Simply pull out the factory headrests and pop these in. Sometimes the new headrests may not have the exact same dimensions (hieght, depth, etc.) as the original, but at least the leather will match very closely.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They have also been used in Q7s for some years. No complaints posted. See my sig for interiors
Old 08-24-2009, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just tinted my fronts 35% too. paid $75 for it, hand cut done perfectly. It gives it a much better look at night time. its still too light to match the rears in the daylight.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
I just tinted my fronts 35% too. paid $75 for it, hand cut done perfectly. It gives it a much better look at night time. its still too light to match the rears in the daylight.
Welcome to the forum, Coolieman.
In California it's illegal tint more then 50% - it doesn't stop thousand ad thousand motorist (include me) to tint their front windows
Old 08-24-2009, 03:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by TIME89
Welcome to the forum, Coolieman.
In California it's illegal tint more then 50% - it doesn't stop thousand ad thousand motorist (include me) to tint their front windows
I live in CA, too. It's my understanding that no amount of tint (non-factory) is allowed on the driver/passenger fronts.

From http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/answers.html
Can I put after-market tinting on the windows of my vehicle?
The main requirements for legal window tinting in California are:
  1. The windshield and front driver's side and passenger's side windows cannot receive any aftermarket tinting.
  2. If the rear window of a vehicle is tinted, the vehicle must have outside rearview mirrors on both sides
The law prohibits any person from driving any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows, with certain limited exceptions.
However, legislation signed into law effective January 1, 1999, exempts from the above prohibition specified clear, colorless, and transparent material that is installed, affixed, or applied to the front driver and passenger side windows for the specific purpose of reducing ultraviolet rays. If, as, or when this material becomes torn, bubbled or otherwise worn, it must be removed or replaced.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Nice mods so far!! I just picked up my 2011 Q5 last night and wanted to know what tint % to go with on the front windows to match the rears. It sounds like 35% is a little too light but 20% is too dark? Can anyone who has had them tinted comment on this?