Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

First Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Rattle

Friends,

I know we're going to have rattles so I'm not losing sleep over this. But, on the front passenger side, somewhere near the dash/corner/vent area it seems, I get a buzzing vibration noise I can hear primarily when the radio is off (I know--leave the radio on!). But there are times when I have to have the radio off--that's how I discovered it. My concern is it might worsen and since I only have 2000 miles on it I'm wondering if anyone had something similar since we can't locate it exactly. My wife tries but can't pinpoint it and she's reluctant to drive the 'luxury' vehicle yet so I would be able to hear the buzz from the passenger side.

All things considered...this is not a big deal but for those of you who want things to be just so--you can relate. Anyone have something similar that may be the answer? She keeps saying it comes from inside the vent. I want to have a friend drive me around when I get a chance.

All this said, I get more enamored with this buggy with each passing mile. As long as I have the radio on.

Thanks,

Springsteen
Old 07-17-2011, 07:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have an A5 and I feel like there is a rattle somewhere near the driver side cockpit. I've narrowed it down to the odometer/speedometer housing. Sounds like something may be a little loose. I only hear it when I hit a decent bump and if the radio is at a low enough level.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

I think it's the hard drive spinning up/down if you have the jukebox in the MMI.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had the same buzzing vibration. Turned out to be the side panel inserts at either end of the dash. In some cars, this is where the fuses were.

I had some felt furniture pads (about 1" diameter with a sticky side), and stuck one on each. When the door is closed, it holds the side panels in place. No more sound.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Is it my imagination or are the new Audi not built as well as they use to be. My last 2 Audi was built like a rock, no rattles what so ever. My 2011 have a few minor rattles already, and my wife's 2010 Q5 had a loud rattle on the pano roof. Sometimes when the factory try to push the units out too fast, quality suffers.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AWF Axis
I had the same buzzing vibration. Turned out to be the side panel inserts at either end of the dash. In some cars, this is where the fuses were.

I had some felt furniture pads (about 1" diameter with a sticky side), and stuck one on each. When the door is closed, it holds the side panels in place. No more sound.

Your suggestion has promise. I'll pursue it. Thanks!
Old 07-18-2011, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

I had a small vibration in the driver's side vent. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that the damper inside the duct was closed, and the dial below the vent did not operate the vent as intended. It must have been like this from the factory, I just hadn't noticed it. I took it in and a new "heating duct" had to be ordered and installed. The noise went away, and I had airflow on the drivers side!
Old 07-19-2011, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My front passenger seat belt receiver rattles when there is no belt latched into it and the back seat has this sort of rubbing fabric noise that drives me nuts. I am due for my 5K service soon so those are some of the items that I am bringing up to them.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Lyth
My front passenger seat belt receiver rattles when there is no belt latched into it and the back seat has this sort of rubbing fabric noise that drives me nuts. I am due for my 5K service soon so those are some of the items that I am bringing up to them.
Here's the outcome to my rattle/buzzing noise. It turned out to be the fuse area behind the panel on the door side of the dash. So stabilizing the exterior panel could not completely solve the problem. Audi service (Wilsonville) knew immediately what it was when I took it in--didn't even have to do the drive and prove I had a noise. They said it's a known issue (maybe other models too possibly?) and they readily covered it under warranty. They simply removed the side panel and installed some padded tape where the fuse housing attaches since that's the source of the rattle. They agreed to do both sides of my dash since there are fuses housed on both sides even though there wasn't an obvious rattle from the driver's side yet.

So--happy ending. 15 minutes at the dealer to fix it. Then they did the courtesy wash and I was out of there in just a bit over a half hour.

The Q5 is now the quiet ride it was when it left the showroom on the day of purchase.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I didn't think those side panels hid anything. Popped them off, and added some foam insulation strips, and now its very snug.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: First Rattle