Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Fog Light Bulbs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replaced mine with XenonLook ones. Same brightness as the OEM I would say but the light is white, matches the headlights well. Like it should have come from the factory.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the real difference is the look OF the vehicle - no yellow lites below the bright white xenons !!!
Old 03-14-2013, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo
the real difference is the look OF the vehicle - no yellow lites below the bright white xenons !!!
+1 I haven't noticed a change in brightness or usefulness but they look great.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the clarification. That's too bad. I would at some point, be interested in something more effective. I don't have the slightest care about the looks, however.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dougnash
Thanks for the clarification. That's too bad. I would at some point, be interested in something more effective. I don't have the slightest care about the looks, however.
i upgraded mine my fog lights to HID. The wife and I like the HID better then OE. Looks great and is brighter then the OE bulbs.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hookooehoo
i upgraded mine my fog lights to HID. ...
What are the sources of all these optional lamps?
Old 03-15-2013, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by hookooehoo
i upgraded mine my fog lights to HID. The wife and I like the HID better then OE. Looks great and is brighter then the OE bulbs.
Actual HID? Not the Xenon-look H11 bulbs? What brand did you use? Was the wiring easy, and the ballast simple enough to place?
Old 03-15-2013, 10:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Actual HID? Not the Xenon-look H11 bulbs? What brand did you use? Was the wiring easy, and the ballast simple enough to place?
yes actual HID. 35w, 5000k color. Mine are from Black Knight Lighting. The owners name is Kyle Bonamo. www.blackknightlighting.com Kyle is a little slow at responding and his website isnt the best, but I do like the product he offers. He is on Facebook, so you can find Black Knight Lighting in there and on the web. He has very involved in Baja racing and that is where a lot of his product is used, so it holds up pretty much any driving. I actually have 4 other kits from Black Knight Lighting in use in all my other vehicles also. Local guy from SoCal.

His kits are simple plug and play. So there is no modifying of factory plugs needed. Just plug all matching plugs together, find a mounting place for the ballast and your done. It seriously took me 10-15 min to install the kits on the Q5. The hardest part was founding a good mounting point for the ballast. There is a ton of space behind the fog lights, but I was having a hard time finding a good solid mounting place. I think I need to remount my ballast as I have them randomly cut out, but I had the same issue on my yukon and once i found a more solid mounting location they stopped cutting out. Ballast dont like to bounce around to much. lol

Like I said earlier, his website isnt the best. The easiest thing is to email him and tell him what you want. His email is bonamoracing@yahoo.com. I know he offers different watt kits and in pretty much any color you want from 3000k-12000k.

I have been more then happy with his product so far. No complaints besides a little slow on responding.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did a quick search, but there were zero returns for "fog lights".

Weird.

I was wondering whether anyone here has replaced the OEM fog light bulbs with something more powerful? Not necessarily HID, because that requires more parts, etc. But what about HIR? Is there are direct swap out option for the stock ones?

Thanks.
there are many sources on the web. Mine was upgraded to HID. went through a couple of ballast thou. use HID at your own risk.