Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Forward Proximity Sensors NOT working in Drive?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forward Proximity Sensors NOT working in Drive?!?!?

I just drove our '13 Q5 P+ with MMI tonight. When I came home, I pulled up to the closed garage door, and wound up easing ever closer, waiting for the forward proximity sensors to start chirping. NOTHING! I wound up within about ten-inches of the door, and gave up. What's the deal? I know they work, once the car has been put into reverse and the whole backup camera activates. But why in the world would they not activate, for the fronts, when in Drive? Every other German luxury car I've driven, with the front sensors, activates even in the forward gears, if you're too close to something.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hit the button and it will turn on.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 614 Likes on 511 Posts
Default Done so that car doesn't beep incessantly...

when pedestrians walk in front of car and when you pull up behind others in traffic. Pushing the button kicks it in, or if you are going back and forth parking. My A8 with front sensors does the same.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 358 Likes on 210 Posts

Sensors are off when the speed is greater than 15 km/h. Re-activated when the transmission is in reverse or
as it wrote ThunderDent Hit the button and it will turn on
Old 01-24-2013, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Is there a flag that can be used in VCDS to enable it when in a forward gear at low speeds, or does it really have to be manually enabled every time? I like the warning that I've gotten a little close to something one one of my corners. Would be sad if Audi made that impossible.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I also thought it was odd that the sensors weren't on all the time since our garage is a little tight for our Q5. I ended up installing a laser to ensure we don't park the car too close to the garage entry door but far enough to have room to open the rear hatch with the garage door closed. Works great pointed at a predetermined spot on the dash. The fiancee thinks it's a game now!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00213KVV2

Old 01-24-2013, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Interex
I also thought it was odd that the sensors weren't on all the time since our garage is a little tight for our Q5. I ended up installing a laser to ensure we don't park the car too close to the garage entry door but far enough to have room to open the rear hatch with the garage door closed. Works great pointed at a predetermined spot on the dash. The fiancee thinks it's a game now!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00213KVV2

A whole lot cheaper (well not a whole lot at $15) .... and just as effective. Just sayin'........

New fangled technology. Gotta love it!
Old 01-24-2013, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 358 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by ThunderDent
A whole lot cheaper (well not a whole lot at $15) .... and just as effective. Just sayin'........
Old 01-24-2013, 06:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ThunderDent

I think one reviewer said it best:
at least visitors to your garage don't look at the hanging tennis ball and wonder if you still have training wheels on your bicycle.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

By button, I assume you mean the one on the dash to deactivate the sensors / chimes?

But this is an idiotic thing on Audi's part. Why in the world is the system not designed to activate at slow speeds??? Mercedes works as expected, without having to push a button. Same, too, with BMW.

That's very disappointing.

Sure, I can hang a tennis ball in the garage. But that's not the point. We didn't spend $50K for that, and more important, I was looking forward to the system (for my wife) when she's just out and about. Pulling into spots around town, and the like.

Quick Reply: Forward Proximity Sensors NOT working in Drive?!?!?